Bike
1991 ST1100

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nelson Rigg UV2000
+1 I have this cover for my ST1300 and it fits very well even with a BygDawg rack on the back (no top box). Well made and durable.

It also has two vents to let out heat and help reduce condensation underneath the cover. I do let the exhausts cool for 15-20 (or more if I catch a nap) before putting the cover on.

It fits into a small carry bag but I'll probably get the N-R half-cover for travel.

I use a $5 tarp 7X9 with three three foot lengths of closeline to tie it on. The elastic hem of conventional covers catches on everything when installing and youll only have to get down on the ground anyway to hook the elastic cords underneath or itll blow off and away in a wind. Might run out of material with a trunk and tall windshield....

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Since I only use it when travelling, I just bought a cheap one from Walmart for about $40. I see now it's about 1/2 that price.

Has worked well for the few years I've used it. Packs pretty small and stays in my saddle bag.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you are asking a lot for $50. Lifetime warranty? Exactly what do you vs the mfr mean here. For example, Garmin's lifetime is not YOUR lifetime, its until they decide not to support the obsolete model you bought last year. UV attacks most fabrics, and even "UV proof ones" (unless they are very heavy) will eventually degrade. Park a bike outside and cover it each and every day, and the cover will show the effects of wind, weather, and UV in a year or so.

Go with a trusted brand. The best warranty is the one you don't have to use. I have a Nelson Rigg half cover. It stuffs into its own sack, is reasonably small and light, and protects the bike when I go to rallies.

OP
OP
1991ST1100
Bike
1991 ST1100
Thank you to all who replied. I am sorry I am just now getting back to this and reading your replies I intended to get back daily but life happens especialy around the Fouth of July :), Thanks again and I will report back on which one I decided which looks like it will be much easier nowTHANKS!:bow1: to whoever put that emoji, its hilarious.
L: 2,285 mm (90.0 in)
W: 935 mm (36.8 in)
H: 1,405 mm (55.3 in)

Last edited:
OP
OP
1991ST1100
Bike
1991 ST1100
im still lost on finding a lifetime warranty cover for a decent price from amazon.com if anyone wants to help

OP
OP
1991ST1100
Bike
1991 ST1100
https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-Motorcycle-Cover-MC-904-Silver/dp/B00QILWRZQ/ref=lp_404643011_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1500359055&sr=1-11 how can you trust a nelson cover after watching the videos on this link, just scroll down to see the 2 video reviews. Maybe the half cover works because it stretches out so the cover is not touching which maybe is allowing for water to seep thru. If I knew what material would be long lasting and water proof I would make my own cover. Tarps do not last long I have been using a tarp that went bad with wrinkle holes all over it and then went to using a think painters drop plastic. I would throw old blankets on first the the painter drop plastic, then the tarp for added protection, but a tarp alone will not last thats why I am asking for help it seems there is no cover but the half cover that works and I am not sure why it works. Thanks again for any tips

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are asking for the impossible. Most fabrics are damaged by UV light. Add in weathering due to temp extremes and acids created when water hits products of combustion (infernal combustion exhaust) and you have a potent mix that will damage anything. Toss in your self chosen 'lowest price' and you will never find a cover that will last a lifetime* (whose, btw? the fabric's or your lifetime?). Thinner and lighter mean less material to withstand damage from the above mentioned exposures. Heavier means its unwieldy and a bear to fold and less portable - but will last longer.

If you really want a long lasting cover, go to Florida or your own gulf coast, find a sailmaker and have him make a cover out of one of the canvas fabrics used for boat awnings. Do some research to find out which fabrics and treatments last longest and are waterproof, etc. I bet this will cost a few hundred and last 10 years.

*This word has different meanings - Garmin says that a few years after they stop supporting a GPS model, its 'lifetime' is over. Various warranties say the lifetime is up when you sell the guaranteed item. You and I tend to think of lifetime as long as we are still kicking - though quality of said life for those sitting in a wheelchair in an old age home might not be what we want. In this last case, our definitions might change.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It's just a motorcycle cover, not a car or house. Buy one. Wear it out. Buy another. They're relatively cheap and easy to come by most anywhere in the country.

I've had my $40 (now $20) Walmart one for several years and it's still good, although I only use it about 20-30 times per year.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The $59 cover at cycle gear will last about 2 years make sure to give them your phone # so they'll have a copy of your receipt. When it wears out take it back and they'll sell you a new after giving you credit for the old one. Repeat.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Also have two Dowco Guardian XL covers, fit both my ST1100 w/ trunk, excuse me, top case, and my fully-dressed Nighthawk 750.

Top Bottom