Igofar Reviews

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am glad you got your brakes sorted out but offer this observation. If the stopper bolt is threaded finger tight in place the caliper can't pivot forward and pinch the rear outer caliper line. The bolt is of sufficient length to engage the swing arm lug and the caliper before several clockwise turns bottoms it out. It still needs to be tight but if it was in loose but still in place what you described would not be possible.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If the line was pinched enough to block the flow of fluid, and this kink or blockage was not alleviated when the bike was in your shop and the brakes were being bled, should you not replace that line? I understand that weighting the brake pedal 'reinflated' the squeezed brake line, but might this kink have weakened it? Perhaps to the point that the line will rupture at an inopportune moment (like when you are braking) and spray brake juice on the tire?

Bike
'07 ST1300
Perhaps I didn't describe it accurately: the nut was loose and whether threads were engaged I can't say, definitely few if any. The caliper was pinching the line as evidenced by the clues of vision and inability to bleed the port. I get your point and believe you are correct but the point is that this is an unlikely source of rear brake drag that I wonder if anyone else has ever seen. I won't say "it only happens to me" as that is too trite but you will have to admit this is unusual.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That bolt is a one-use bolt with Honda red thread locker on the threads. If reused it requires medium Loctite to prevent loosening and a 20% reduction in torque value of dry 51 ft/lbs.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If the line was pinched enough to block the flow of fluid, and this kink or blockage was not alleviated when the bike was in your shop and the brakes were being bled, should you not replace that line? I understand that weighting the brake pedal 'reinflated' the squeezed brake line, but might this kink have weakened it? Perhaps to the point that the line will rupture at an inopportune moment (like when you are braking) and spray brake juice on the tire?
I seriously doubt that weighting the brake pedal "re-inflated" the line, it sounds more line the caliper was loose, since the stopper bolt was loose, allowing the caliper to move just enough to bind the rear unit on the sliding dowel causing the rear brakes to drag. Movement of the rear wheel (rolling the bike) probably wiggled it enough to cause it to shift and settle again and appear to work, until the brake was applied, thus causing the unit to move and jam up again. As far as the rear brake line, It goes underneath the caliper and is routed close enough, that the caliper may have pushed up against it to impede the flow, or the piston may have caused the flow issue as well. The reason to weight the pedal after bleeding the system is only to allow micro air bubbles to purge over night.
As far as trouble shooting the entire brake system, I must say our Kentucky friend had ALOT of patience and never gave up! We eliminated possible causes, step by step, over the phone, late at night, when he was very tired and frustrated...but he never gave up! He has my respect for sure.
I only led him through the things to eliminate, he found the loose stopper bolt on his own....thus, I dub him the Kentucky ST Whisper'er.
Igofar

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Have never replaced, or threadlocked, the caliper stop bolt (ST1100 however, if we are talking about the same bolt?). Never a problem in Lots of miles.

That would mean a new bolt with every rear wheel removal it would seem, and that sure ain't happening.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
So me and six of my friends are three days in to an eight day trip around the Rockies Colorado, Utah, Arizona. And my buddies 09ST decides it it is time to have a brake issues. Now collectively we are pretty good with a wrench and fixing what is in front of us, but I know that the brakes on the 1300 ST's are a animal all of their own. I also know who to call and that is Igofar. So Saturday night in page Arizona I send off an SOS to Larry and he gets back with me on Sunday morning and coaches me and my friends through the trickery of the ST braking system and lo and behold with his help we get the 09 back on the road. Not only does this total stranger go out of his way to help me out and keep us going on our vacation but he also offered to have his son who is in Arizona if need be come up with a trailer and get us someplace where we can work on this bike if we can't get it fixed in the hotel parking lot. I cannot say enough about the graciousness of this man and the knowledge he has of the workings of the ST. He is always going out of his way to help and offer up Assistance whether it be physically in his hands or through this forum we are lucky to have someone like him who is willing to help out a total stranger without worrying about what is in it for him. I just want to take this opportunity to say thanks. And if someone is in West Michigan and needs help don't hesitate to holler I don't have all the answers but I do have Larry thanks again. Sabrekip

Larry helped figure out the issues with my 04 ST also. Great guy and a true asset to this forum. Thanks again Larry!!!!!

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
So me and six of my friends are three days in to an eight day trip around the Rockies Colorado, Utah, Arizona. Sabrekip
I hate you. No, not really, I envy you, sounds like a great trip.

I just had someone help me out on the Voyager forum like that. Total stranger sent me expensive parts and tells me to pay him only if it fixes the problem. You don't get that kind of help on the various car forums. Good to know there are people like that still out there.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
Not only is IgoFar willing and able to help us with our bikes, he is also just fun to talk with about anything else!

Bike
2010 st1300abs
With IgoFars knowledge and white courtesy phone guidance, not only was I able to efficiently and correctly do a clutch and brake fluid change and system bleed, but also increased my bikes average mileage from 36 mpg to 45mpg by taking his advice and changing the thermostat. Bike is running great thanks to his help over the phone!

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
That's what makes this forum great. The members. The ones who help, and the ones who appreciate it.
All stand up people.
Love this place.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Larry is simply awesome. When I bled my brakes and replaced the secondary master cylinder he was instrumental in getting it done right upto making himself available on the phone.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I just got off the phone with Igofar, and he led me through the workings of my 2007 brake system! I'm relatively inexperienced with mechanics and it was a wealth of information pitched at the right level for me. Now I need to break loose a bit of time to act on his instructions!

Noel

Bike
2007 ST1300
As igofar walked me through the brake system, it appeared that the SMC was the culprit. In the end, I punted on doing it myself, mainly because bleeding the brakes at the end seems like it requires some finesse. The local shop did it and it seems like the brake drag is gone. It stops fine and rolls forward and backward easily at traffic signals. I'm a happy camper.

Noel

Top Bottom