Such a simple thing

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have a couple of extra connections to the battery in my Triumph Tiger. The additional thickness from the leads means the battery bolts are just a hair too short to thread into the little rectangular bolts in the battery terminal.

Previously I've levered them up with a toothpick but it's always a pain.

I recently had it in for valve clearance check (among other things) and behold my mechanic fixed the battery bolt frustration with two 1/2" long pieces of clear tubing inserted under the rectangular nuts. (The photo will be more clear than my explanation!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
So simple.

And, all that matters is that it works.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I usually cut a piece of the battery box off and do the same thing. My guess is there's a 'right' answer. Until then, cardboard. :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I cut the end off a nylon tie and stuff it in there, it's wedge shaped and fits perfect.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I put a piece of foam behind the nut. Bought a Shorai and they sent foam in the box with it. I had extra and kept it to use for things like this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I use a piece of nylon tie bent in a U to hold the nut in place. I don't remember who inspired that . :rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I put a piece of foam behind the nut. Bought a Shorai and they sent foam in the box with it. I had extra and kept it to use for things like this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
+1 to the battery and foam use

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
For years I’ve inserted a rectangular block of wood that pushed the nut tightly to the front in order to accommodate multiple ring connectors on longer than OEM battery post bolts. Of course, the block of wood had a hole in the center to allow the longer bolt to pass through.

I suppose a correctly sized piece of vinyl hose wedged behind the nut so the new bolt could pass through it’s ID would work too, and wouldn’t require any woodworking skills. :)

FWIW YMMV

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom