Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My old river bags have started to get holes on them, so I was looking for a reasonably priced replacement. I found the Dry Pak units at Dicks Sporting Goods. I got the XL size (about 70 liters) and the L size (about 50 liters). I recently took the L size on the road for my cross country trip. I prefer to put all the stuff I'll be taking into the motel room into a bag and strap it on the back seat. This bag went through numerous, lengthy frog drownings and other abuses in 13 days on the road. The L size was $54.99 and it is one of the best pieces of gear I have gotten in a long time. It loads from the top, has a stiff lip to roll over to seal it and excellent fastex fasteners to secure the ends. It has nice rigid bottom so it does not droop over the saddle and rub the saddlebags when strapped down. It comes with two handles that velcro together and a nice shoulder strap also. My stuff inside the bag never even got damp regardless of how hard or long it was raining. The bag shows no signs of wear after the constant strapping/unstrapping, blowing in the wind, hauling it in and out, etc. If you are looking for a good dry bag at a reasonable price, this may be for you.

Attachments

Last edited:

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
UP I have one and love it! Had it about 7 years and still going strong! I highly recommend the bag!

Randy

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have the same bag, and it has several thousand miles on it and still going strong. Not as many miles as you would put on it UP, but still a decent dry bag.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
It also has a vent on the bottom so you can squeeze the air out after you pack it and close it up.
Wondering if mine is just a knock off. The vent on the bottom is only to evacuate water between the bag and the separate rigid bottom and is not connected to the inside of the bag itself like yours is.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Ive had that same bag @ 5 years and 60,000 miles of camping--best deal on a dry bag anywhere

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Mellow reviewed this bag a few years ago, I bought one then as well. Pretty darned cheap on Amazon.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Mellow reviewed this bag a few years ago, I bought one then as well. Pretty darned cheap on Amazon.
Was it this one?

st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?111835-Twisted-Throttle-Dry-Spec-Bags&highlight=Drybag

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Was it this one?

st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?111835-Twisted-Throttle-Dry-Spec-Bags&highlight=Drybag
Nope, that's a different bag. Mine does not have any 'built-in' tie down straps or a way to lash two together that I can see. I just use ratchet straps which always have worked fine for me.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Twisted Throttle has the Dry Spec bags which are different and cost more.
I also have the Kwik Tek DryPak XL bag from Amazon (received as gift from kids) and love it. It is REALLY REALLY big! Amazon (and my own caculations) put that one at 110 liter and the smaller L size at 70 liter. That vent really is only to let air and water escape from between the rigid base and the bag bottom, no venting from inside the bag. I find I have to squeeze air out after folding over the top once or it's really hard to get any more air out after rolling down the top more. No stacking/strap system on this bag like on the Dry Spec bags but I've had no issues with that. I needed the XL since my sleeping pad is 25" long rolled up and I also put my camp chair/lounger which is also 24" long folded and those items fit in the bottom perfectly. I put everything that goes inside my tent in that bag and also the camp chair. The tent fits into a smaller dry bag (to keep from getting anything else wet in case of rain) that I strap on top of the DryPak on the tail of my bike. Both are strapped on length-wise over the pillion so nothing extends out either side. Like this (updated photo with my pack for MNSTOC 2017):

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Nope, that's a different bag. Mine does not have any 'built-in' tie down straps or a way to lash two together that I can see. I just use ratchet straps which always have worked fine for me.

Sure, I realize that the bags are different, I was just trying to find Mellow's review of your bag as mentioned by Svrdhd.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I've got one of these bags too, works great! And incredible value.

The only downside is that I ordered the "white" one because I didn't want black or green (the colour options at the time)...but it is actually a bit translucent and I'd prefer it was opaque.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have the XL one. I got mine from Mellow a few years back. It was too big for him. It works perfect for my over packing need to down size several items self. I use it on all three of my bikes. You can't beat it for the money. I like the big opening. Makes it very easy to pack. I just secure it with two Rok Straps.

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I've got one of these bags too, works great! And incredible value.

The only downside is that I ordered the "white" one because I didn't want black or green (the colour options at the time)...but it is actually a bit translucent and I'd prefer it was opaque.
If it's good enough for UP and his travels, then I knew this is the one for me. I bought the 24" large size in black from Dick's online and shipped it to the local Port Huron store for free delivery. The bag fits perfectly between the two side cases on my Moto Guzzi adventure bike, allowing me to open the cases with the bag still strapped in place. I read elsewhere that the white bag was translucent and the other colours/colors did not go with my orange bike. The first test will be the ride to ONSTOC next week with all my clothes, toiletry items and sleeping bag in it for easy portability into the cabin.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I got the large size after Mellow reviewed the bag. I manage to pack everything in the bag that I need to setup for camping including a chair. The bag is strapped to the pillion seat and serves as a backrest.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My old river bags have started to get holes on them, so I was looking for a reasonably priced replacement. I found the Dry Pak units at Dicks Sporting Goods. I got the XL size (about 70 liters) and the L size (about 50 liters). I recently took the L size on the road for my cross country trip. I prefer to put all the stuff I'll be taking into the motel room into a bag and strap it on the back seat. This bag went through numerous, lengthy frog drownings and other abuses in 13 days on the road. The L size was $54.99 and it is one of the best pieces of gear I have gotten in a long time. It loads from the top, has a stiff lip to roll over to seal it and excellent fastex fasteners to secure the ends. It has nice rigid bottom so it does not droop over the saddle and rub the saddlebags when strapped down. It comes with two handles that velcro together and a nice shoulder strap also. My stuff inside the bag never even got damp regardless of how hard or long it was raining. The bag shows no signs of wear after the constant strapping/unstrapping, blowing in the wind, hauling it in and out, etc. If you are looking for a good dry bag at a reasonable price, this may be for you.
++1. I have both the L and XL versions, the L is plenty big for use on the ST, does not occlude the mirrors. I use the XL one on the Harley, as the high up mirrors allow for it. Easy to pack, carry and strap down. Never a leak. Reasonably priced.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I too have the XL version of this dry bag. After quite a few trips with it strapped on behind me, I've decided a single large bag is worse than two smaller bags...
  • it's really heavy with everything in it, especially if I can't park near my camp site
  • finding stuff in the bottom of the bag an be difficult
  • fully packed, I'm a little cramped in my seat during riding
  • A wet tent, fly and ground cloth can get other stuff wet.
I plan to order a smaller bag, pack the XL bag with less stuff and carry both, one on top of the other. Tent and outside stuff in one bag, inside stuff in the other.

Top Bottom