Logging the R & M on the bike

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
What is it that people are using to document repairs and maintenance on their rides? I would think computers, pen and paper, special booklets etc? My system of post it note, aka awesome sticky notes is failing me once again so I better get with the times.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I used to keep a white board with mileage numbers for all the common maintenance items, when I rode enough miles per year that keeping track of it was necessary, and I had 3 bikes.

But now that I'm down to 1 bike and I don't ride that much, I keep most of it in my head, there's not that much to keep track of.

edit: I keep the oil change receipts and valve check measurements in the vinyl pouch that originally had the owners manual in it.

Last edited:

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I used to use a pad and pen, but now I just use the Notes app on my iPhone. I always thought a data-base program would be good for this but I couldn't find one and didn't know enough about database programming to create one.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Excel spreadsheet for me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What is it that people are using to document repairs and maintenance on their rides?
Similar discussion with some more ideas here- Maintenance log app?

I always thought a data-base program would be good for this but I couldn't find one and didn't know enough about database programming to create one.
Shane Stump, creator of Stumpware created THIS SOFTWARE for monitoring maintenance, expenses, and overall costs of owning your vehicle. He gives it away freely.

Or have a look here- Service Record Database. The MS Access version is available in post #1 - the Open Office (but much reduced) version is in post # 20.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use a small notebook. kept on board each vehicle, with the R & M time/date/descriptions in it. It takes less time for me to grab it, write the item/event down, and put it back, then it does for the average person to boot up their electronic device, and log into a maintenance program. Although the "coolness" factor is lacking, It is a time-proven method. I use small spiral bound notebooks, available at the dollar store, 3/1$.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Whatever your system, be consistent and keep the records in a safe place. I use my computer, create a Word document titled ST1300 Log, and begin the first page by listing the obvious maintenance parts with numbers and costs. Things like oil filter brands w/ numbers, push pin numbers, etc. This is for MY benefit - its easier than looking in the Shop Manual.

Then I begin a line with the Date, Mileage, who did the service, approx cost. Next few lines are individual service items.

For example:

Nov. 12, 2019 43,200 Self $50.00
Changed brake fluid
Changed front pads, cleaned pistons, lubed pins
Changed oil+ filter
Bled clutch - new fluid
Installed speedo healer ($129)

This is as much for me as it is for the next owner, and I can look back and tell exactly when the last tire/brake whatever service happened.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Most owners manuals have a few blank pages......That is where I write down what I did, with date. Future owners then have all that data.....
Super simple....and old school I know....:)

ToddC

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Excel spreadsheet does it for me. One tab lists all the maintenance items listed in the service manual (including recommended intervals for check and replace, mileage when last performed, and mileage when next due), another lists the actual work performed (including date, mileage, materials used, and by whom the work was done), and a third to track valve clearance values at each check (again, noting date and mileage of the check as well as any changes made).

I don't track costs- they are what they are.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have always kept track of maintenance done on my stuff since I started driving in 1970. My first car did not have an operative fuel gauge and often the odometer took a break as well (MG built a great car for training mechanically-minded individuals) so I kept a small logbook to time/date/mileage fuel and oil use and maintenance done. The habit remained throughout my lifetime of cars, bikes, boats, lawn equipment.

Honda used to host a maintenance history record on their web site and that is what I started using for the 1300. Every so often I would print it out and keep the paper in a hanging folder in a small filing cabinet where I have other household documents. When Honda's web site did away with this feature in 2013 I just starting using sheets of blank paper lined off in columns.

On the garage fridge I keep a short note version held up by a magnet just for oil changes.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I record maintenance time and part cost for everything except oil/filters/spark plugs in a small notebook. It gets transferred into an Excel spreadsheet later on. Aside from the overkill on inspections and maintenance right after I bought my 1991 1100, I find the ST a bit dull and boring from a maintenance standpoint. I'm spending much more time and money keeping it looking new than on anything necessary. It's always ready to go somewhere.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Spreadsheet for me too. I also keep the original receipts in a file and write on them the date + miles at the time the parts were used.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You'd think somebody like me would do something high-tech, but I use paper for fuel and service logs kept in a folder on the bike. Older pages get scanned and the originals go in my file cabinet with all of the other stuff I'd hand a potential buyer.

PDFs of the pages I use are available here: CLICKY

--Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you are on a smart phone check out an app call aCar. It keeps track of fuel mileage and maintenance records. Since my phone mounts on my bike it's always right there for a quick entry. Putting in all the fuel fill-ups not aonly lets you track them it lets the application tick off when you need to do maintenance. When I fill up with gas and put in my mileage it'll warn me that an oil change (or other item) is due in 500 miles. 9Reminders can be set on time/mileage/both.

Also at any point you want you can look at the upcoming maintenance needs. So before you start that 5k mile journey you can see that brakes are due in 6k but oil and clutch fluid is due in under 2k.

Top Bottom