Is engine cranking normally slowish?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Hi Owners. When I bought my ST recently ('09) I noticed the engine crank at start seemed... lethargic. The battery is 2 years old and I have charged it, with the same slowish crank remaining.

My previous bike - FJR1300, to which I fitted a Lithium battery, would 'jump out of its skin' when I press START, and start very quickly, even after two-three weeks break.

My friends ST seems similar to mine - slowish crank, so I would like to ask owners if this sounds familiar? The ST engine is a delight no doubt, but a little slow turning over. I will adjust to it no doubt.

Cheers Duporth.

Bike
2005 st1300
Mine seems slow with a new battery. I have always assumed that the gear reduction in the starter is different than other bikes

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yep, they do tend to crank slow for some reason. I've had mine for 11 years and it always seems to seem like the battery could use a charge.

I'm sure though that you will hear of many things to fix this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bought my ST 3+ years ago with a new battery installed just prior to my purchase. Was never fast but always started. Recently started to loose the digital gauge info when cranking it over. Put the battery on a tender but still slow cranking. New Interstate battery last week and hit the starter...wow does this new battery crank the ST :). Must have a higher amp rating :excited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Hi Owners. When I bought my ST recently ('09) I noticed the engine crank at start seemed... lethargic. The battery is 2 years old and I have charged it, with the same slowish crank remaining.
The ST doesn't crank particularly fast, and mine rarely has to be cranked long enough to notice.

The acid test (sorry, no pun intended) for your battery is to load test it by measuring the voltage while you crank the starter. If it sags below 10, it's time for a new one. A battery that's past it isn't going to work very well no matter how long you put it on the charger or what the surface charge voltage is when you take it off.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This thread reminds me of the Kawasaki C10 that I once had. With a charged-up battery, I often didn't even hear the starter engage when I momentarily pressed the start button-it would often start almost the instant I pressed the start button. That always fascinated me. One feature of the Connie was, unlike the ST, the headlight did not come on until the engine started. I don't remember how that feature worked, but I think it was better than the headlight relay activated by the starter button on the ST. I don't know if the C14 has the same feature or not.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Never thought my ST cranked slowly. But, since it fires up so quickly, it really does not matter. Mark has it right for checking your battery.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you everyone. My ST does start up very well. The slow wind is obvious though.
Perhaps it is more noticeable because both my FJR and my Bandit saw my thumb heading for the stater button and leapt into life.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I agree, it seems to turn over slow relative to other bikes. Some other Honda's I've had (both bikes and cars) were relatively slow cranking as well. Seems to be a choice by Honda.

My ST1300 would often start the instant I released the starter button (with a known good battery, no plugged 5-way tee or vac lines, good starter valve synch, good wire terminations, etc... ). So I got in the habit of cycling the kill switch (cycling the fuel pump) minutes prior to actual startup, pressing the starter for one or two engine cycles and releasing the button even if it hadn't started yet--it is interesting how effective that was and I think it just goes to show that the bike's high current parts (wiring, battery, and starter) are barely big enough.

My RT turns over quickly and starts immediately with just a touch of the button (giving me the common RT bucket of bolt sounds :eek: ). My VStrom started quickly too, as did a Kawi Vulcan Mean Streak. But my ST1100 behaved like the ST1300 on starting, maybe the ST1100 was even slower and longer cranking. :shrug1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I often didn't even hear the starter engage when I momentarily pressed the start button-it would often start almost the instant I pressed the start button. That always fascinated me.
I had the exact same experience with my CB750. I'd just quickly poke the starter button and the 750 would burst to life. If I heard the starter it was time to check the points and plugs. Even changing to a breakerless ignition it still started the same way.

Maybe FI changes that somewhat. But among my riding buddies back they I was the only 750 owner and my bike was the only one that started like that. When I sold the 750 that was part of the sales demo. I think my Duc started the same as well.

Slow is relative I guess. The ST never struck me as slow or casual. But it wasn't like a Chrysler or Dodge product.

Bike
2004 ST1300
This thread reminds me of the Kawasaki C10 that I once had. With a charged-up battery, I often didn't even hear the starter engage when I momentarily pressed the start button-it would often start almost the instant I pressed the start button. That always fascinated me. One feature of the Connie was, unlike the ST, the headlight did not come on until the engine started. I don't remember how that feature worked, but I think it was better than the headlight relay activated by the starter button on the ST. I don't know if the C14 has the same feature or not.

Very true. Both my C10's started as quickly as you could release the starter button when warm. It was sort of amazing.
I think the fuel injected engines require (or are designed) a bit of rotation time and it does give the oil pump time to get some pressure up before actual running. Perhaps...
Regardless, I always noticed my ST cranked over rather slowly compared to other bikes I had but never had another ST around for a direct comparison. Checked the battery and tested good and always started the same even in below freezing temps.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I too have noticed that my ST13 Blue STar cranks more than I would have expected before lighting up. Obviously,, it is a much geared starter. But after putting in a new battery,, it did not crank faster,, either hot or cold. No big prob,, I just decided that's the way it is,,, and might be attributable to the function of the FI system. One other thing I will take notice of, is if it catches any faster after installing a new set of iridium plugs. Cat'

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Yes, it is no real problem for me. I will become used to it. I have so much regard for other aspects of the ST it does not concern me. I need a change of my 'headset' which currently equates a rapid start to good engine health. I cannot justify this notion though.
Hearing your comments is really valuable, to know my slow crank may be the ST norm.
Many thanks.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I just decided that's the way it is,,, and might be attributable to the function of the FI system. One other thing I will take notice of, is if it catches any faster after installing a new set of iridium plugs.
That won't make a bit of difference. This isn't the bad old days when starting the engine consisted of turning the engine and firing the ignition hoping the carburetors will eventually get around to sending enough fuel though the intake for combustion to start.

The ECM wants a good bead on whether or not the crank and cam position sensors are working and in the neighborhood of properly timed. Until the engine has spun enough times for that to happen, there will be no spark and no fuel added to the air. (That second part is why the problem of flooded engines doesn't exist with EFI.)

--Mark

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My ST1300 always turned over slowly when starting with an AGM battery. They are "underbatteried" due to the small size of the battery box. ST1100s have room for a much larger battery compartment, and do not have this issue.

I finally bit the bullet a year ago and bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXIJJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This battery spins the starter much quicker, it has been in there over a year, and I am very happy with it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jmcarruth said:
This battery spins the starter much quicker
I may have missed it but in all the various battery threads I've seen no mention of this except when replacing a bad battery and you'd expect a new one to spin the engine a little faster.

Have you had an opportunity to see how long the battery lasts in a 'forgot to turn the ignition off' simulation or a 'been playing with LEDs and now it won't start' scenario?

Be aware.
Does your battery need a shelf life of a year when mounted in your bike?
I' used a Liion in my bike for two years. No complaints about it.
But be aware: a Li battery has a capacity of about 4Ah. A standard about 11Ah.
That means you have little capacity left after you've had the bike standing with lights, etc on, without the engine running,
for a while.
I had no complaints, but knew the restraints.
It's up to you, but I choose to go for spare capacity.
So I replcef the Liion for a plain battery.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Very true. Both my C10's started as quickly as you could release the starter button when warm. It was sort of amazing.
I think the fuel injected engines require (or are designed) a bit of rotation time and it does give the oil pump time to get some pressure up before actual running. Perhaps...
Regardless, I always noticed my ST cranked over rather slowly compared to other bikes I had but never had another ST around for a direct comparison. Checked the battery and tested good and always started the same even in below freezing temps.
I'm not sure about the cranking slowly part of your reply, but I don't think my ST cranks slowly with a fully charged battery, just a little longer than the C10 did when cranking it up. I can't say for sure, but I don't think my ST usually cranks long enough to prime the engine with oil, likely just long enough to pressurize the fuel rails. That is obviously not an issue with carburized engines.

Top Bottom