Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major Wobble at high speed - didn't expect it

Bike
    2008 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Major Wobble at high speed - didn't expect it

Well, got an unexpected surprise on the 4th of July. Was catching up to my wife and kiddos on a journey to Mt Pleasant UT from American Fork. I was solo and decided it would be fun to irritate my wife and shock at the same time with dear old Dad doing an amazing (in my mind) fly by pass. Passed her at close to top speed in 4th - around 105 mph indicated and just after passing her, bike decided to severely wobble - not due to wind etc, way different from that. I shifted up to 5th, slowed down and it smoothed out just fine. Very glad it smoothed out and I didn't tumble for 1/4 mile!

This really was quite a surprise, as I've been 120 indicated once before, and several 110's, 105's etc no problems - all smooth sailing in the clear deserts of Utah.

Anticipation of a fun heckling from my wife almost turned into the worst possible scenario of punching my ticket in front of my family! My wife totally noted the wobble and thought I was going to go down. She slugged me a few times after we got to our destination.

I have to assume the difference is attributed to my tires. I went from PR4's to double dark. BF Goodrich Comp 2 on the rear (30 PSI) and Battlax BT45H on the front (42 PSI). I've had these tires on for a quite a few months, just never at higher than normal speeds.

I don't regret the change to the dark side, I'll simply eliminate the excessive high speeds (better for me this way). I just wish I didn't learn this lesson in front of my wife & kids though!
    Last edited by Bilko; 07-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    It's a start!

STOC #8874
    Rot Honig

2. The Following User Likes This Post:

Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Major Wobble at high speed - didn't expect it

Of course glad it wasn't worse for you. It could be steering head bearings, tire pressures, suspension condition and adjustment, load weight and configuration besides tire choices. I've found weaves like that never get worse as long as I stop building speed and lessen in magnitude when I slow down.

Top speed in 4th is about 139 indicated or 130 actual. That's bumping the rev limiter around 9200 rpm. A few times I've thought the mighty ST swallowed a valve when it was just me in 4th thinking I was 5th.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    '97 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
    I just wish I didn't learn this lesson in front of my wife & kids though!
    marriage 101, never do something dangerous in front of your wife unless it was something she ordered you to do. They have enough ammunition as it is, no need to give them more.

6. The Following User Likes This Post:

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dwalby View Post
    marriage 101, never do something STUPID and dangerous in front of your wife unless it was something she ordered you to do. They have enough ammunition as it is, no need to give them more.
    There, fixed it for you!
    Bob - STOC 5901
    2012 ST1300 -17.5K miles, 2010 - 65K miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37K -On the operating table & #2 35K miles (commuter bike)
    2005 ST1300 - 174.3k miles - sold

8. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2007 Honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Same thing happened to me in May 27th! See link below...

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show....php?p=2015945
    Last edited by ST-V4ever; 07-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST-V4ever View Post
    Same thing happened to me in May 27th! See link below...

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show....php?p=2015945
    Same exact thing! Thanks for the link!

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

As a teenager I remember my best friends dad saying to us when we were being stupid..."Horseplay is horse****!" Now knock it off.

Skip

"The less people you chill with, the less BS you deal with"
    The weather don't matter....let's ride!!
    STOC #3156
    IBA #55488

Bike
    '97 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SupraSabre View Post
    There, fixed it for you!
    Ha, before I hit send I changed it from 'stupid' to 'dangerous' (I guess because I didn't think going fast was stupid). Thanks for covering both bases for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
    Well, got an unexpected surprise on the 4th of July. Was catching up to my wife and kiddos on a journey to Mt Pleasant UT from American Fork. I was solo and decided it would be fun to irritate my wife and shock at the same time with dear old Dad doing an amazing (in my mind) fly by pass. Passed her at close to top speed in 4th - around 105 mph indicated and just after passing her, bike decided to severely wobble - not due to wind etc, way different from that. I shifted up to 5th, slowed down and it smoothed out just fine. Very glad it smoothed out and I didn't tumble for 1/4 mile!

This really was quite a surprise, as I've been 120 indicated once before, and several 110's, 105's etc no problems - all smooth sailing in the clear deserts of Utah.

Anticipation of a fun heckling from my wife almost turned into the worst possible scenario of punching my ticket in front of my family! My wife totally noted the wobble and thought I was going to go down. She slugged me a few times after we got to our destination.

I have to assume the difference is attributed to my tires. I went from PR4's to double dark. BF Goodrich Comp 2 on the rear (30 PSI) and Battlax BT45H on the front (42 PSI). I've had these tires on for a quite a few months, just never at higher than normal speeds.

I don't regret the change to the dark side, I'll simply eliminate the excessive high speeds (better for me this way). I just wish I didn't learn this lesson in front of my wife & kids though!
    You can change every thing and it will still happen its motorcycle geometry this will explain https://motorbikewriter.com/avoid-tank-slapper/

Folks on this forum defend Honda's research and development time and time again, however, they then mount a car tire on the rear of their motorcycle, and a rear tire on the front?
    Sure sounds kind of funny huh
    If it throws you off its your own darn fault.

15. The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast