Trying to PREVENT tip ovcer on the Auto Train

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I couldn't figure where to post this, but I'm sure Mellow will.
I am considering the Auto Train to get the ST 11 and myself north in September....because I loathe I-95 and like trains.
Has anyone taken an ST1100 on the train?
I am thinking that removing the plastic covers over the tip over bars would provide the best place to secure the bike?
Thanks in advance.

Ride safe.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Don't know about train travel, but yep, in general, pull those covers on the 1100 for those good tie down points.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don't know about 1100s or tie downs but have only been on a train once in my life and as a wee lad at that.

I was just talking to my Wing buddy about taking AmTrack somewhere just for the ride. I've been on our BART trains several times but the clientele can be iffy.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Don't know about 1100s or tie downs but have only been on a train once in my life and as a wee lad at that.

I was just talking to my Wing buddy about taking AmTrack somewhere just for the ride. I've been on our BART trains several times but the clientele can be iffy.
We take MARTA down to the airport sometime, to take advantage of cheap parking rates ....but the clientele is not only iffy, but mostly hoods, thugs, and ne'er-do-wells. It's only once in a while though, and IS, after all, an adventure.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've been thinking about doing that for a trip to Maine, from NC. But it looks like I have to ride to DC to get on the train....can't figure out their schedules..........

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would think it would be similar to transport on a ferry or a trailer. The big issue will be if there are tie-down points on the railcar. In gear and on the side stand is best. Some ST1100s have an 'exposed' loop on the right tip over cover for tying down without removing the cover. One interesting device I saw on a ferry (you would have to make it) was a stepped piece of wood that inserted on the right side opposite the side stand. If the bike tried to tip over away from the side stand the block of wood stopped it. Also, many ferries provide a strap to just go over the seat so that might work fine on a train. I would carry my own straps just to be sure I had some.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Rich: Your bike will be loaded onto a purpose-built sled with a track and tie-down points and the front wheel will be lashed into a wheel chock. Amtrak supplies tie-downs and they usually will compress the forks at the triple tree by coming up from the bottom.

Ozzie: The Auto Train runs between Lorton, VA and Sanford, Florida and doesn't stop anywhere else.

BART and MARTA are municipal subways. Amtrak is a long-haul railroad.

--Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I wish they would expand the auto-train idea... I'd love to load a bike on in St. Louis and take it off in Denver.

I can say that if traveling long haul (liek overnight) on Amtrak and you are over 6', one reclining seat is not enough.

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Thanks Mark....I appreciate the info.
The bike has helibars and I worry that tying down across the bars will cause something to loosen
Have fun!

Top Bottom