BMW owners/riders...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My BMW buddy has a GS1200R Adventure (don't know if any of that is redundant). He's been a Honda rider for years and year (recreationally and still rides an 1800 Wing) and H-D rider (professionally) for almost as many years. He's very new to the BMW world but thoroughly enjoying his 1200.

He's got the Navigator GPS (the keyless ignitions is way cool to me!) and a Sena 20S. He's got an XM radio on his Wing tied into his intercom system.

He's also got another one in the box and would like to put it on his GS and listen to it via the 20S. The odd shaped bars would seem to make a RAM mount impossible.

And his powerlet/DIN socket is powered by the ignition so his phone only charges underway.

Any ideas on:

•how and where to mount this small XM radio (custom-made mount on the Wing)
•where to tie into the bike's electrical (and possibly with key-off operation)
•can the same thing be done for the GPS without a lot of work?
•Would/could the XM be fed into the GPS and the GPS to the Garmin for turn-by-turn and music? Currently he watches the Navigator and listens to Maps and music on his iPhone via the Sena.
•and maybe convert his charging port to always on? (Adding one might be easier.)

I realize with time money and expertise most anything is possible. I'm interested in some realistic solutions particularly if they accomplish any and all of the above and include actual hands on.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i hear my bmw friends talking about how to work around or getting electronics to work with can-bus
I'm looking to get a gs 1200 adventure for my next bike and yes there are a few differences between a gs1200 and a gs1200 adventure like the almost 9 gallons of gas that the adventure holds and spoke wheels from the factory an more ground clearance

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
For power:
He could use a PDM60 and tap into the low beam head light as a trigger wire for them PDM60. That is how many of us have done our BMW K1600's. I used the tail light. There are a couple of wires he could tap into, but be careful. CANbus and LINbus systems are very finicky.

http://pdm60.com/
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/47201-pdm-60-install-thoughts.html

Also, if the GS1200R is newer one of the easiest ways to add accessories is the Hex EZ-Can http://hexezcan.com/

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
•where to tie into the bike's electrical (and possibly with key-off operation)
•can the same thing be done for the GPS without a lot of work?
The HEX ezCAN is a good choice for 2014+ "wetheads" (ie, liquid cooled GS and RT bikes). I installed it on my 2016 RT for auxiliary lighting, but it also powers other devices. ... works great.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Using the CW Erica's on my 2015 GSA, and they turn night into day. Fully adjustable using the can opener.

Bike
2010 ST1300
a gs 1200 adventure... an more ground clearance
Yikes! I'd need an extension ladder to mount this thing. Forget about A-Frame ladders....

Just came back from a BMW rally. Funny how the old bikes were built for us short guys and the new ones require a 48" inseam.

Top Bottom