Jackets Tourmaster Transition 4 jacket leaking

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Well, got dumped on this morning on my ride into work, it was coming down hard for about 10 minutes before it started letting up.

I almost immediately noticed my left arm getting wet, and I don't mean just a little wet feeling I mean water running down my arm. A little on my right arm but not as bad... luckily short sleeves although a little of the left sleeve did get wet.

The jacket is a year and a half to maybe two years old.

I've had other Tourmaster items (boots) that didn't stay waterproof as advertised but that happened within a few months of getting them. I have Firstgear overpants and they are years older and still keep me dry... I would say four times as old as the jacket. My last jacket was a Firstgear Mesh jacket and the liner lasted at least three years before leaking through.

I ride every day and staying dry in rain is kind of a priority, the main reason I got the jacket in the first place. Getting wet on my way home isn't all that bad... getting wet on my way to work or anyplace else... not all that pleasant.

Maybe I just got lucky with my other items over the years, I don't know.

So, do I try treating the jacket with something or start looking for a replacement?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Non of my jackets/pants (Cortech & Tourmaster) are rain proof!

I have a rainsuit if I really want to go to the trouble to stay dry! :eek:4:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't count on any gear to be waterproof other than boots and gloves (and the gloves are real iffy). I use my Frogg Toggs to keep my gear dry, which in turn keeps me warmer and dry without feeling clammy. If the jacket still works well other than not being waterproof then simply save the money on some over-the-gear rain gear. I did test the rain liner in my Tourmaster Flex jacket once. It did keep the rain out but the water plugged all the pores enough, due to the outer shell becoming full of water before it reached the rain liner, so that I felt clammy inside just from my own sweat. With the Toggs over my gear, the gear stays dry and absorbs all sweat for a very long time and I stay warmer in cold rain and cooler in warm/hot rain. Haven't felt clammy ever since I've used the FT.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I have a Tourmaster Epic jacket, as well as a Transition jacket and Tourmaster Flex pants, and don't have any leaks. About twice a year, I spray them with a liberal coating of Scotch Gard, heavy duty water shield. Walmart carries it in the camping dept.

Ride Safe
John
image.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
Well, got dumped on this morning on my ride into work, it was coming down hard for about 10 minutes before it started letting up.

I almost immediately noticed my left arm getting wet, and I don't mean just a little wet feeling I mean water running down my arm. A little on my right arm but not as bad... luckily short sleeves although a little of the left sleeve did get wet.

The jacket is a year and a half to maybe two years old.

I've had other Tourmaster items (boots) that didn't stay waterproof as advertised but that happened within a few months of getting them. I have Firstgear overpants and they are years older and still keep me dry... I would say four times as old as the jacket. My last jacket was a Firstgear Mesh jacket and the liner lasted at least three years before leaking through.

I ride every day and staying dry in rain is kind of a priority, the main reason I got the jacket in the first place. Getting wet on my way home isn't all that bad... getting wet on my way to work or anyplace else... not all that pleasant.

Maybe I just got lucky with my other items over the years, I don't know.

So, do I try treating the jacket with something or start looking for a replacement?
If you have ever washed the jacket the waterproofing would be compromised .

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have a Tourmaster Epic jacket, as well as a Transition jacket and Tourmaster Flex pants, and don't have any leaks. About twice a year, I spray them with a liberal coating of Scotch Gard, heavy duty water shield. Walmart carries it in the camping dept.

Ride Safe
John
image.jpg
Just as Nashcat says reapply with a good coat of water proofing.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

Ride Safe
John
image.jpg

For anyone tent camping, use this stuff on your tent before each trip. No more rain spray as the drops strike the tent, also no weep through into the inside. Depending on the type of tent you have, you may be able to leave the rain fly at home. Saves a little space.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
SCOTCHGUARD!!! everything including your liners and boots.

Top Bottom