Draining the Fuel tank

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
My bike sat for a number of years before I bought it and I have put close to 50K on it since, BUT I never drained the tank. I wouldn't think there's an issue, but when I get to the bottom of the tank (right about where the low gas light comes on) it starts spitting and sputtering. My guess is there is some crud at the bottom of the tank.
I haven't done any real investigating, but is there a semi-easy way to drain the tank? Thanks!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
To drain it, just disconnect a fuel line at the filter and stick it in a container.

Than run a jumper from battery the pos terminal on top of the tank to run the pump.
That won't help with gunk sitting on the bottom though.

Attachments

I'm thinking that you.ve been very lucky. a bike that sits for a number of years usually has problems with clogged jets, passages. The addition of seafoam and the like, only protect for a year or two- and even this isn't a guarantied thing. when ever I read a thread on carb problems related to fuel level, I automatically associate fuel pump problems. hope this is not the case- a new ome fuel pump makes most grown men shed a tear.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The tank is very easy to remove, when near empty. Four bolts hold it in and disconnect the wires on top and one on the left upper side of the tank. That one is not easily noticed so don't miss it or you rip the wiring off. Disconnect the fuel line to the filter and out it comes.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My ST sat for 10 years before I bought it and got it back on the road. It was predictably clogged up with evaporated fuel and rust.

With the fuel pump removed, the access hole was big enough for me to get my arm mostly in there, and I scrubbed the tank floor with a scotchbrite pad to loosen up all the scale, then hosed it out with water, and set the tank in the sun to dry out. I've so far had 20,000km of running with no problems (well none that were connected with my tank cleaning, there were plenty of clogged jets etc from the long rest).

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got my 1100 after 10 years storage. I ended up replacing the fuel tank because once I got it out and looked at it... I wasn't going to put it back in.

I've got pictures if you need them, but pulling a tank once you run it low on fuel is a simple task. Between general cleaning before getting it running, replacing the fuel pump (I went electric), then replacing the fuel level sending assembly, and finally deciding to just replace the tank, I've pulled it half a dozen times at a minimum.

Bush is correct, the connection for the fuel level is on the left side. Don't forget it. Everything else is pretty apparent. Removing the air filter helps you get an angle for it to rotate out and back. I've heard others removing it without needing to remove the air filter. But, I must not be that talented.

It will give you a chance to inspect the hoses and breather going from the upper portion to the lower tank.

Good luck...:hat1:

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Well I should be close to the light coming on, so I'll ride local for a bit yet and get as much out of the tank as I can. I just never cleaned it out and am thinking that a 20 year old bike has to have some crud at the bottom - even if it was ridden all the time.
I used to work on lawnmower engines (I taught a class) and you wouldn't believe what was in the bottom of those tanks after a few years. Sometimes it rarely resembled gasoline!
Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Have you looked into the tank with a flash light? The spitting and sputtering could be early signs of a failing pump or a vacuum valve.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well I should be close to the light coming on, so I'll ride local for a bit yet and get as much out of the tank as I can. I just never cleaned it out and am thinking that a 20 year old bike has to have some crud at the bottom - even if it was ridden all the time.
I used to work on lawnmower engines (I taught a class) and you wouldn't believe what was in the bottom of those tanks after a few years. Sometimes it rarely resembled gasoline!
Thanks for the help and suggestions!
I'd pull the tank now, rather than risk sucking the possible crud into the fuel pump and then your filter. It won't be too heavy if you are near the light coming on.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I pulled and tried to clean mine, I removed the fuel gauge sender that is located on the left side of the tank. It will be the connector you need to remember to unplug. This will allow some pretty good access into the lower portion of the fuel tank.

Bike
1997 ST1100
Seems like a lot of us got their STs after an extended rest. Mine had been sitting in a shed for many years before the dealer got it, cleaned it up, mostly, and put it out on the floor. When I got it there was lot of loose scale and rust in the tank. I drained it, removed the send unit, dumped a half gallon of Evaporust in with a handful of 1/2" nuts. I shook and swished that around until my arms fell off! That cleaned it up very well. I also did a Kreem treatment, new fuel pump and gaskets. No problems for three years now. If your fuel pump is original, you might consider that as long as you have the tank out. There are many good threads on that project.

Top Bottom