ST 1300 Tire Recomendations...

I've got an '07 ST1300/abs, and was gonna look for some new tires... I was running the original Avon Storms with good luck but I see all the manufacturers have new models since I went tire shopping... I looked at the available tire thread but most of the responses are pretty old... Anybody have any suggestions??? I"m a pretty sedate rider but like to play occasionally and will be doing a bit of touring...
Also, I had put some of the angled valve stems on (from KurveyGirl) at my last tire swap, do I need to replace them each tire change or are they good???

Thanks, Kevin

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Getting ready to change the REAR tire at 14,000 miles. Prob. could easily go 15K. Its a DUNLOP Sportmax R/S II. Of course, putting another one right back on.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The Avons weren't what came on the bike from the factory, so let me suggest starting with the OEM tires or something close to them as a baseline.

I liked the Bridgestone BT020Fs that were on the bike when I got it enough to go through a few sets before trying out a set of T30GTs (which have been replaced by the T30 EVO GT). The BT020Fs do reasonably well in the rain and the wear's good; I was getting either side of 10,000 miles out of a set. They do get a little weird toward the end, though. My T30GTs have just over 5,000 miles on them and are doing well. My only complaint about those is that they take a bigger dislike to tar snakes.

There were a couple of years that Honda was installing Dunlops (D220s?), and I don't recall there being much love for them.

Whatever you pick out, be sure it's a tire intended for a heavy bike, because the ST will go through anything that isn't in no time flat.

You don't need to replace your aluminum valve stems unless they're damaged.

--Mark

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
What is your priority? Getting 15K miles on hard as rock tires or 7k on softer, stickier tires? If you prefer the latter go with Angel GT's. You won't be disappointed.

And they're great in the wet.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Kevin,
I've had really good mileage and traction with the Bridgestone products since I bought the bike in 2009. Coming up to a 100,000 miles on my bike, so it doesn't really sit in the garage that much.
Here is the latest product from Bridgestone for our bike that me and most of my ST friends that I ride with use.

T30 EVO GT

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. No need to change the Kurvey Girl stems each time. My opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the Bridgestone T30s. Rubber valve stems need regular replacement but not billet aluminum ones. The valve stem construction and method of retention in the rim is nothing like a standard rubber stem and will not fail suddenly or catastrophically.

OP
OP
Thanks for the opinions... Mark, you're correct that the Avons weren't oem... I was referring to the original Avon Storms not the Storm 2 or later versions...Maybe it was the Dunlops that were oem, I just remember not being impressed with them... Of the three tires mentioned, which would give the longest wear on highway use,etc...

Thanks again for the responses...

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Of the three tires mentioned, which would give the longest wear on highway use.
Sometimes that's a really tough question to answer as everyone has a different riding style and our pavement is different where you ride and where I ride.
The last 3 Rear Bridgestone's I had on which were the BT023 GT's, lasted 18,000 miles 15,000 miles and 12,000 miles. The latest tire I'm using is the (T30 EVO GT) as they don't make the BT023GT's anymore. I'm hoping this new model will get the same or even better, but time will tell and as you see my milage is dropping due to riding my bike more aggressively. Again this is the rear tire as the front tire wears at a substantial less rate for me. It almost lasts twice as long as the rear.

Angel GT's get my vote.
My current choice for tires also. Bridgestone 020 on the ST when I bought it. Hard as a rock and liked to track any grove in the road.
Angel GT improved ride, no tracking and improved mpg. Had RideOn internal balancer and sealant added also. Only 2k of miles on them, but no noticeable wear yet.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sometimes that's a really tough question to answer as everyone has a different riding style and our pavement is different where you ride and where I ride.
The last 3 Rear Bridgestone's I had on which were the BT023 GT's, lasted 18,000 miles 15,000 miles and 12,000 miles. The latest tire I'm using is the (T30 EVO GT) as they don't make the BT023GT's anymore. I'm hoping this new model will get the same or even better, but time will tell and as you see my milage is dropping due to riding my bike more aggressively. Again this is the rear tire as the front tire wears at a substantial less rate for me. It almost lasts twice as long as the rear.
You got 18,000 miles on ANY Tire? Wow, are you riding that thing down past the belts or what?
I replace my tires when they touch the TWI's.
I've never seen an ST tire go much past 10,000 miles without being waaay past the wear indicators.
Sounds like I need to come up to Canada and ride on your roads.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
You got 18,000 miles on ANY Tire? Wow, are you riding that thing down past the belts or what?
I replace my tires when they touch the TWI's.
I've never seen an ST tire go much past 10,000 miles without being waaay past the wear indicators.
Sounds like I need to come up to Canada and ride on your roads.
The BT023's were a great tire and I only wore them down to the TWI. Also, I hit the wear bars on the center of the tire first and then came close to the side TWI's.
Our roads are not made out of concrete like some of your states. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the stone they add to asphalt probably has something do with it also.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Well then you need to get out more. Ardykay54 (Russ Knock) consistently got 15k+ out of tires on his 1300. My son in law also gets that kind of mileage on his 1300. They both live in the same area of Iowa. Yes they are the exception, but having ridden with both, I can say they are not running on the tire carcass to get this kind of mileage.

Personally I am happy to get to 10k. I tried the new EVO and replaced it at 6k miles. Might have gone 7, but I had a 10 day trip coming up and am not getting tires on the road.

Currently running the Avon Storm 3D XM's. 4500 on them and looking promising on reaching 10k. I have 2 brothers that are running these on their K1600's and have gotten 10k+ on them.

Al Gully said it best. Not all things are equal in how you ride and where you ride. What works for one may not for you.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well said. The longest running tires I had were the older Michelin Pilot Road 2s and 3s that got close to 9 and even 10,000 miles for me but I did not like the way they feel when pressed in corners. BT023s and T30s never go past 7 or 8,000 miles in my universe but I really like the way these tires feel. I don't buy tires with mileage as the first priority.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I've had the last few PR4's last around 16k, when I was commuting 230 miles a day. Normal had been around 10-12k. Went with Bridgestone T30 GT's, looks like I'll be getting around 7-8k out of them, and they don't like tar snakes, going back to PR4s next round.

Tim

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If your up to try something different, try the Pirelli Angel GT tires for your ST1300, they cost a little less than the PR4's are alot quieter, and IMHO a better rain tires....oh yeah, you don't even notice tar snakes anymore.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
+1 on the Angel GT's. I spent the past 12 months on them,, and I think they are a great set. I would recommend considering the 180/55zr-17 A-spec for the rear,, as the beefed up carcass is intended for bikes in the power and weight class like our ST13's. Mine is 3/4 done,, and still performing well. Cat'

If your up to try something different, try the Pirelli Angel GT tires for your ST1300, they cost a little less than the PR4's are alot quieter, and IMHO a better rain tires....oh yeah, you don't even notice tar snakes anymore.

OP
OP
Thanks for all the responses and advice... Right now I'm leaning towards the Angel GT or the PR4... As for the stems, I can get the rubber ring replacements for about 4$ a piece... I'm still up in the air on that one, (pun intended) and will ask the guy that mounts my tires his opinion...

TexasRain

It's more than a ride...
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the opinions... Mark, you're correct that the Avons weren't oem... I was referring to the original Avon Storms not the Storm 2 or later versions...Maybe it was the Dunlops that were oem, I just remember not being impressed with them... Of the three tires mentioned, which would give the longest wear on highway use,etc...

Thanks again for the responses...
I've had Bridgestones, Michelins and I think I've even run on the Dunlops, but nothing rode better than the Avon Storms. But that was 5 years ago. I'm looking too, and I think I'm going to try the Avon Spirit ST's. After I break them in, I'll post my impressions.

Top Bottom