SENA and BT question

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Ok lets keep it simple. I prefer the wired Push to talk switch (model 1884) and you can get it here.

https://www.carid.com/motorola/wired-headset-with-boom-microphone-and-ptt-button-bundle-mpn-1884.html

or you can get the bluetooth version here.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-1693-Two-Way-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00HQUX1HG

or you can get an inexpensive headset with a PTT for any motorola talkabout FRS radio at many stores near you.

Only a few of us will take the extra effort to save a nickel but spend more time and money making our own custom solution....

I have to make a PTT that will work for the FRS mu350R and a HT1250 and a Kenwood TH-F6A and TS-430S along with an iambic squeeze key.....:eek:4:

The nice thing about the FRS MU350R is that it runs on rechargeable batteries that uses a USB connection to charge it. I have added a couple of dual usb chargers to the bike to run the gps, charge the cell phone, charge the sena, charge the FRS, charge the camera,...... This is what I use.

https://powerwerx.com/backlit-red-panel-mount-usb

I hope this helps...

Last edited:
Bike
1994 ST1100
I received MU350s yesterday and tried to BT connect but it didn't work. the cable that comes with s20 is 2.5mm to 3.5mm but both radios and s20 use 2.5mm so I ordered adapter and we will see.

Mark

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Sena does a GREAT job of walking through all kinds of pairing possibilities on their website or YouTube. Just search for "Sena Pairing" and they will walk through virtually every combo possible, and show you how to do it.

That said, I'm not sure they've showed pairing of a GMRS yet.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I know this is an old thread....but does anyone know if the MU350R's are able to charge / run on bike power while operating?

Ok lets keep it simple. I prefer the wired Push to talk switch (model 1884) and you can get it here.

https://www.carid.com/motorola/wired-headset-with-boom-microphone-and-ptt-button-bundle-mpn-1884.html

or you can get the bluetooth version here.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-1693-Two-Way-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00HQUX1HG

or you can get an inexpensive headset with a PTT for any motorola talkabout FRS radio at many stores near you.

Only a few of us will take the extra effort to save a nickel but spend more time and money making our own custom solution....

I have to make a PTT that will work for the FRS mu350R and a HT1250 and a Kenwood TH-F6A and TS-430S along with an iambic squeeze key.....:eek:4:

The nice thing about the FRS MU350R is that it runs on rechargeable batteries that uses a USB connection to charge it. I have added a couple of dual usb chargers to the bike to run the gps, charge the cell phone, charge the sena, charge the FRS, charge the camera,...... This is what I use.

https://powerwerx.com/backlit-red-panel-mount-usb

I hope this helps...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I was sitting here thinking how I can communicate with my family while they are in the car and I am on my bike, with my Sena 20S. Any idea if there is another radio, communicator etc that could be a inexpensive held held and connect to the Sena from the car people? This would be instead of the expensive factory option or texting or calling. Just pondering...
I'm amazed that no one has arrived at the obvious answer: have them wear helmets in the car, with 20S' on their helmets too. :yes:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I know this is an old thread....but does anyone know if the MU350R's are able to charge / run on bike power while operating?
From the user manual:

"-If the radio is kept on while charging, the charging time will be extended."

"-Even though the charger is connected, you may not be able to transmit a message if the battery is completely empty. Allow time for the battery to charge to one bare before attempting to transmit a message."

So yes, you can use the radio while charging. But the batteries have to be there, and have some charge, for the radio to TX. The charger just supplies a trickle charge and isn't enough to transmit. And the RX power subtracts from the charge current.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Anyone know if the Sena can connect and mix two A2DP audio streams?

I want to connect both my Cell, and my 2730 GPS w/XM (using a cheap BT transmitter).

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
I was sitting here thinking how I can communicate with my family while they are in the car and I am on my bike, with my Sena 20S. Any idea if there is another radio, communicator etc that could be a inexpensive held held and connect to the Sena from the car people? This would be instead of the expensive factory option or texting or calling. Just pondering...
Download and install the ZELLO app on both phones, yours and the one in the car.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loudtalks

For the bike purchase a "cheap" Bluetooth PTT button.
This one works perfectly,and is the one I use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/

No investment as you already have the Smartphones.

You can connect to individuals, add multiple participants, - create a channel for a riding croup and password and administer it, - listen in to public channels like music, police scanners, sermons- configre it to just the way you want it with so many settings - the list goes on.

It only uses mobile data and because it is PTT it is very efficient.
So if like me you have left over data at the end of the month it will cost you nothing to run.

I tested it out a month ago talking to my son at home him working at his computer desk and I was over 200km away and on country roads.
We were talking like we were in the same room.

Here is a picture of my setup
Zello-PTT-button.jpg

By the way Sena created a similar Mobile Data app, Sena RideConnected. Don't waste your time on it.
Only works connected through Sena BT units and is not PTT so it uses data all the time both directions. and it doesn't have a 1/2 of the features.

If you are going to use CB radios.
You can knock up a cheap Bluetooth adapter for about $30 if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Or they have them on Aliexpress for about $70.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
But how does Zello work outside of mobile data coverage? Will if work via wi-fi between smartphones, without having internet coverage via cell access?

It's not like a Motorola HT, or a higher power BT headset. Those will let you work out to 1-2 km when in a straight unobstructed path.

I can see where Zello will work better than the Sena app.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
But how does Zello work outside of mobile data coverage?
Not at all. Sena RideConnect is the same.

Will if work via wi-fi between smartphones, without having internet coverage via cell access?
No it requires a server as the exchenge.

It's not like a Motorola HT, or a higher power BT headset. Those will let you work out to 1-2 km when in a straight unobstructed path.
A good 5w CB should give 18-20km line of sight.

That's all good comment. I think everything has it's limitation in some way or other you have to go with what suits the job at the time most of the time.

But as data coverage these days is quite good and increases then the Zello app fits that large group large distance application well. Given the range of Zello, worldwide, if it drops out it is no less capable than line of site BT or CB.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
BTW, I also realized that some of the Sena and Cardo BT headsets have FM receivers, so I should be able to use one of those cheap FM transmitters plugged into my 2730 GPS, and still BT to my phone. Not sure they will mix the FM and phone A2DP audio, but at least I can switch between sources easily.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
A good 5w CB should give 18-20km line of sight.

But as data coverage these days is quite good and increases then the Zello app fits that large group large distance application well. Given the range of Zello, worldwide, if it drops out it is no less capable than line of site BT or CB.
Well, a 100mW BT radio is pretty limited in range, and I was being a little conservative for the MU350 HT range. I don't want to run my 50 or 100W ham radio UHF mobile on the bike. I value my gonads! ;-)

In many of the areas I ride, there is no cellphone coverage. Backcountry 2-lane mountainous roads. Not at all unusual in the Western US, where cellphone coverage is more concentrated on the Interstate Highways.

Still, you're right. An app like Zello has it's uses if you work within it's limitations.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Yes the states is a pretty big place. We're fortunate that New Zealand is a long narrow country, coverage is fairly good even on side roads.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Yes but Sena RideConnected is a toy next to Zello, and you need another Sena BT unit at the other end for it to work.
Where did you find/confirm this info?

I've found that my Sena 20s has a problem "mixing" the two connected devices. This has cause issues with comms connected through BT on one of the channels. It's also one of the reasons I just picked up a pair of Cardo Packtalks. The Mesh based DMC option and the fact that it's waterproof not just water resistant are reasons alone that I'm interested....but it also has a feature called Parallel Audio Streaming which does exactly what Jim describes.

If the 20s can indeed do this, can you please let me know the setting? I find that multiple external devices are prioritized on the 20s (which the Cardo Packtalk can also do if one chooses...) but I haven't been able to find the Parallel sync equivillent option...?

That said, the Sena's Audio Multitasking works a bit differently but is nice...it allows music to continue to be heard in the background while an intercom conversation is taking place which the Packtalk doesn't seem to do....but I usually don't care because I want to concentrate on the convo... =)

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That said, the Sena's Audio Multitasking works a bit differently but is nice...it allows music to continue to be heard in the background while an intercom conversation is taking place which the Packtalk doesn't seem to do....but I usually don't care because I want to concentrate on the convo... =)
You know, if I run bike-to-bike, I'll probably turn off the music anyway. I would like to be able to mix in GPS though.

Lets See...
  • New RF-SR Helmet (as my old RF-xxxx is 13 years old)...$400
  • Dark face shield...$65
  • Garmin 595LM... $700 (w/TPM $760)
  • Cardo Packtalk (or the new Packtalk Bold, adds voice commands) duo... $492
  • MU350R Pair(?)...$108
  • New Boots...$300?

Of course then I would have to figure out whether to connect my phone via the Garmin or the Packtalk. I suspect the Packtalk directly, cuz I'd want to use the Cardo app.

Hmmm. Anyone got a spare $2100 bucks they can loan me? This Farkle stuff can get expensive!

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
BTW Dan,

Amazon is showing the MU350R as discontinued, although they still have some stock. I don't believe the other Motorola Talkabouts have Bluetooth.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
You're right Jim. I actually picked a pair up. I haven't tested them yet because I'm still fiddling with my SR10 and HAM handsets...I'll hopefully get to the 350's this week.

Also, I *think* the Cardo Packtalk's manual has an incorrect description in it. It describes Parallel Audio Streaming as I wrote above but when I have it enabled it seems to behave like the Sena Multitasking feature....or...it's not working in the new v4.0 firmware. More testing to come.

It really is a shame that the SR10 doesn't A2DP to the headsets. This would make the device about perfect.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Sooooo....as you saw on the email thread, Jim, I had some awesome success tonight! The parallel audio streaming of the Cardo headset indeed mixes both device channels to EQUAL priority!!!

The problem was that their config explanation on the Cardo Community config page was counter intuitive and a bit backwards....if you leave the setting OFF on the configuration tool, it actually works!!! If you set it to ENABLE it will behave like the Sena 20s (and prioritize the devices).

So ignore the above...it works.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Where did you find/confirm this info?
SENA's own website and Youtube tutorial explain that the Sena RideConnected (a mobile voice APP that connects SENA users over smartphone and 3/4g mobile networks) will only connect SENA devices.
I'm not being biased, if Cardo made a mobile app that only connected Cardo devices I wouldn't use or recommend it either.

By the way you were right to get the pair of Packtalk.
You may enjoy this video that does a real-time waterproof comparison between the Packtalk and the 30K
Packtalk vs Sena waterproof test

The whole playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZOEeUZ5G-Tq1qBnQQUCQ8H-uKHTuxTTV

Last edited:
Top Bottom