2017: Coolest Mesh pants

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I read folks saying to find a brand and size at the local shop, then go online to find best price/style/color. Then complain their local shop doesn't have that one part in stock they need on a Saturday morning.

Anybody think there might be a connection there??????

OT..... when it's hot...I ride the DR in jeans and look for big mud puddles like these!
IMG_3172.jpg

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I recently acquired the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Jacket and Pants.

As others have mentioned, the build quality isn't really up to par compared to the others. Plastic zippers and their fobs get stuck. Relatively useless pockets for cellphone or music player due to small size. Pocket zippers in funny places to actually use. Vertical zippers on jacket and pants - it would be better slated or even horizontal on pants, as is I'm afraid I'll lose things if I actually use them. Neck flap rubs. I haven't tried the liners, but in rain or cold I'll probably swap to my other gear.

Pros: price point and large sizes available. Much better than wearing jeans. I can zip the jacket & pants together once I've got them on, although the zipper isn't as easy to reach as FirstGear.

Hopefully I never actually crash test them, as I'm afraid their nylon/polyester isn't going to be that protective in a slide.

I think I'll move on to something better for next season. Still trying to find the elusive one set of gear for all seasons.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I am surprised MOTOPORT USA has not be mentioned. The Kevlar Air Mesh models let the air scream through. These are all custom made in California. I have a few sets. The outers are likely to be the strongest available and inners pads also very advanced. Easily water proofed by slipping on the airtex liners. I understand many police and military use Motoport.

btw I remember reading a view that having the hot air blast through and impact our bodies may be not the answer either i.e. best to keep it out! I have not found this though, give me the breeze! I agree hot is hot, no real escape to being the target of blazing sun and super heated atmosphere.

Drink plenty of water, remember.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've thought about Motoport, but I really would have to go visit them to be custom fitted (they're not that far). The samples I've seen are kind of ugly, stiff, and I've never wanted waterproofness to be on the inside. It would be better to throw rain gear on the outside.

In really hot weather I have my windshield up, so I don't get the full windblast. Mesh works for me (except on the shins!) I do use an evaporative cooling vest here in the desert, and you need a little airflow to have it work. I think drinking lots of water is the key, preferably cold to add to the cooling effect.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I understand the "find of ugly, stiff" comment ST_Jim. They are not the smartest look for a café racer morning out. I have thought about a smarter gear from time to time for short rides. Some of my Motoport is pretty good looking though. I have both 3/4 jackets and a short jacket with matching pants. Some non-riders ask me about the gear material!

For me, when out touring I love them and I know I am as safe as I can possibly be in riding gear. Cold and heat they handle very well.

Maybe the 1000 denier Cordura gear is worth a look. Nice to wear comfort wise I expect. The Air Mesh Kevlar is nice and breezy and can be a bit stiffish, as you say, but protection at its best. The stretch Kevlar is more comfortable to wear and that is my favourite touring suit.

If you are nearby it would be worth a closer look. I have found the company very good to deal with, even from waaaaay over here is Aussie.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have tried a lot of them, but hot is hot, especially when you throw 90% humidity on top of it. I have gotten to where I just try not to ride much between 10am and 6pm when I see the temps are going to be above 90 degrees. It just is not fun.
If I am on a trip trying to reach a destination, that is different. Last year riding through Kansas on the ST I was at 106 degrees for about the last 100 miles. Miserable, and downright dangerous. We were stopping every 50 miles or so and guzzling water. I always keep a cooler iced down with water when traveling. My gear is old, but it has served me well, a First Gear mesh jacket with CE inserts, and grey Joe Rocket Phoenix pants, I forget which version. I also have some of those $70 vented boots from Cycle Gear which work very well in hot weather. I can't stand for my feet to be hot and sweaty.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not to sidetrack the thread too much...

One thing I've discovered with my perforated boots is that they move more air. However, if that air is hot your feet will actually get more warm than wearing non-perforated boots. Believe me... you definitely know when you stick your foot in a hot air channel zone!!!

I started wearing sports compression socks under my mesh pants. Helps keep my legs from getting tired, sore, and shields me just enough from the outside temps to help while still allowing great sweat transfer and cooling.

Top Bottom