Moving your bike around

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm still debating ST vs. RT.
One key consideration for me is weight. I have a gravel driveway that requires a three-point turn to move the bike so it faces the street.

I'm curious how many of you have gravel driveways/parking spots vs. hard surface.

How challenging is it to move an ST on gravel?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Is it graded at all? Often I use grading to my advantage when doing 3 point turns on gravel.

It's definitely challenging.it also would help if I were taller than a 30" inseam! :poPoST1:

Last edited:
Much depends on the gravel. Crushed granite compacted not a big challenge, but small pea size gravel or 1" river rock is to be avoided at all cost.
As Chance indicated how firm a stance do you have? I easily flat foot with a 34" inseam and ST1300 seat at it's highest setting.

Sorry, I have a 75' concrete driveway, sloping down to the street and 6" round curb to drop to the street. A small kick back to coast down the driveway, pause at the curb to check traffic and a big kick backward to ensure clearing the curb drop with both wheels. Then :slv13:

As with any bike without a reverse gear, always point your front wheel up hill.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Much depends on the gravel. Crushed granite compacted not a big challenge, but small pea size gravel or 1" river rock is to be avoided at all cost.
As Chance indicated how firm a stance do you have? I easily flat foot with a 34" inseam and ST1300 seat at it's highest setting.

Sorry, I have a 75' concrete driveway, sloping down to the street and 6" round curb to drop to the street. A small kick back to coast down the driveway, pause at the curb to check traffic and a big kick backward to ensure clearing the curb drop with both wheels. Then :slv13:

As with any bike without a reverse gear, always point your front wheel up hill.
It's compacted granite (I think) I have no issues wheeling the Tiger about as I say.
I just realized that we have quite a drop from the road with a bit of a curb. How much ground clearance is there on an ST?

I think everyone is different, I come from a dirt background and frequently ride all day on gravel roads without issue. I think with some practice you would be fine, the bike can handle it no problem.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I have a 30 " inseam and small feet. Moving the ST Backwards while in the saddle is difficult even on level concrete - nearly impossible on my crushed shale driveway . Driving forward under power is not that difficult but the bike would certainly be better with an electric reverse ala Goldwing. Plan your parking so you can power uphill - downhill when reversing. All is more difficult with a full tank so I only top it off when absolutely necessary.

I just realized that we have quite a drop from the road with a bit of a curb. How much ground clearance is there on an ST?
No issue with clearance from your photo. I will take the 6" high curb with two up and no issue with an ST1300. Sounds like you are used to moving a bike around in your driveway. You should be fine.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Use the slope to your advantage when turning the bike around and it is always preferable for me to push it(especially backing up) than to pick it up. Knock on wood.........no drops in 54K with my '04.

I avoid loose surface at all cost.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I too avoided parking on loose surfaces with my ST and avoided pointing nose downhill when I had to back her out of a parking spot -- she was a handful to maneuver. I continue the same habits with my RT -- even though it is easier to manage given its lighter weight, the potential to drop it is high during manual maneuvering.

Bike
VStrom 650
FWIW go with the bike you really want. Either bike is no lightweight trail bike and if they start to go, they will go; either that or your back will explode. Whichever one you go for, obviously the ST, make sure you have some bars on the rear to save the boxes, just in case. On the RT you will also require front bars/engine protectors.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for all your great advice, it's very helpful.
When I move my Tiger around one of the things that I do is lean it slightly against my right hip.
It seems like that's going to be a bad idea with an ST as I won't be able hold it up.
Fwiw I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170#.

Bike
2010 ST1300
T
When I move my Tiger around one of the things that I do is lean it slightly against my right hip.
It seems like that's going to be a bad idea with an ST as I won't be able hold it up.
Fwiw I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170#.
I'm 5'7 and 150# and I do the same thing (hip against seat) when moving my bike. We have a concrete driveway, and moving the bike is no picnic for me, but I love the beaste. Dropping the bike is no big deal* - the tip over guards take care of everything and I've added rear guards too. Btw, these come in very handy for getting the bike back up (a come along works great on Bygdawg's bars).

*the hard part is getting the bike upright.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I find the ST to be pretty top heavy. After 14 years incident free I tipped over twice last year, first time on pea gravel at a gas stop and then on gravel backing out of garage at cottage. Once you get to a certain point past vertical it's going down, just step away and let it settle on the wings. The RT is lighter, but I've no idea if it's easier to move around as it is a fairly tall bike vs. the ST.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm 5'7 and 150# and I do the same thing (hip against seat) when moving my bike. We have a concrete driveway, and moving the bike is no picnic for me, but I love the beaste. Dropping the bike is no big deal* - the tip over guards take care of everything and I've added rear guards too. Btw, these come in very handy for getting the bike back up (a come along works great on Bygdawg's bars).

*the hard part is getting the bike upright.
Yes I expect the hard part is getting the bike back up! I never expected to have anyone mention using a come-along!

That said a 6:1 or more pulley system would be a handy addition to one's travel kit.
Does anyone have video of picking up a dropped ST?
Edit: found this - https://youtu.be/CCtHV1s8jAI

And this: https://youtu.be/HM1bTO_Cgoc

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Ozzie's got calves bigger than my thighs. You need good quads too and it's still not as easy as he makes it look. The second video is more realistic.

My bike was on the port side on a negative camber part of a driveway. It was a struggle for me but I couldn't have done it without using that method.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes I expect the hard part is getting the bike back up! I never expected to have anyone mention using a come-along!

That said a 6:1 or more pulley system would be a handy addition to one's travel kit.
Does anyone have video of picking up a dropped ST?
Edit: found this -

And this: https://youtu.be/HM1bTO_Cgoc
That was just a bad decision on the part of the rider as I would have made use of a "K-turn" even if it required a dismount and multiple movements to effect the 180. Did I mention that the barricades stated ROAD CLOSED?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yup I noticed the sign too.

What's a K-turn?

Edit: found it! A three-point turn. Yup I do those all the time. I don't feel any need to be a hero and try to do a U-turn when there's a chance I'll go down.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Yup I noticed the sign too.

What's a K-turn?

Edit: found it! A three-point turn. Yup I do those all the time. I don't feel any need to be a hero and try to do a U-turn when there's a chance I'll go down.
Three, five, seven point; whatever it takes depending upon the lay of land or crown of the road.

I'm not ashamed; I just don't want to pick the beast up.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
The Ozzie's got calves bigger than my thighs.
I am 5'7" and 138 pounds. I have had to pick up both an 1100 and 1300. It is a challenge but I find the little bit of adrenaline you get in that situation helps to get the bike upright. Especially if your girlfriend is anywhere in the vicinity. It is definitely easier if it is down on the right side so you can put the side stand down as a stop for when you do get it up to standing ( and past....) lol. Nothing worse than having to pick it up twice, once on each side....

My in-laws driveway is pea gravel with a paved pad at the garage where I can turn around. Given my slightly shorter stature trying to get purchase on gravel while astride the bike is a non-starter. I'll happily ride as far as you want on gravel but would look carefully when I need to turn around. There's always a way to make gravity and momentum work in your favour.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I am 5'7" and 138 pounds. I have had to pick up both an 1100 and 1300. It is a challenge but I find the little bit of adrenaline you get in that situation helps to get the bike upright. Especially if your girlfriend is anywhere in the vicinity. It is definitely easier if it is down on the right side so you can put the side stand down as a stop for when you do get it up to standing ( and past....) lol. Nothing worse than having to pick it up twice, once on each side....

My in-laws driveway is pea gravel with a paved pad at the garage where I can turn around. Given my slightly shorter stature trying to get purchase on gravel while astride the bike is a non-starter. I'll happily ride as far as you want on gravel but would look carefully when I need to turn around. There's always a way to make gravity and momentum work in your favour.
Thank you, this is quite reassuring!
On the weekend we rode to a cabin where the parking spot had a pretty good incline, perhaps a 15% grade. I had my partner hop off at the bottom and I rode the 10 ft up to the end. It was gravel and getting in was fine.
To leave, I left the sidestand down, brought it upright and just eased it down to the pavement.
All good. I think I would have done the same thing with an ST except I would be astride.
Or at least that's what I would do in my mind [emoji4]

Top Bottom