Long way around and back again

Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
Just wanted to post some personal (subjective) observations on other sport touring bikes vs. Honda ST's. I joined ST-owners (years ago) after purchasing a nice '91 ST1100 after a long motorcycle hiatus after raising a family. Loved that bike - did so many things well - I did not realize (at that time) what a good choice it was - rode it for 5 years and loved it. However, after cracking the 60K mark, decided it was time to upgrade my ride after finding a pristine ultra low milage '02 R1150RT. I really tried to like that bike - It has the best ergonomics and wind protection, hands-down, but between the "tractor-style" motor & transmission and after reading endless forums on the horrors of low milage bikes suffering rear-drive and ABS failures and the high price of repairs...it was quickly sold to the next Beemer dreamer. Moving on, the FJR seemed like the most logical choice since Yamaha is still making them (and selling lots of them) and there always seems to be a vast used selection in my neck of the woods (Minnesota). The next bike to grace my garage was yet another (ultra-low) milage Yamaha '07 FJR. Lovely to look at, motor and tranny typical Japanese; turbine smooth running, shifting (no more agricultural style motor & tranny) and intoxicatingly powerful & fast. Ergonomics it seemed take up a lot of discussion on the users forums for the over 50 crowd - Seats discussions, windscreens comparisons, bar-risers, etc. etc. long-long threads there. However, it boiled down to feeling it gave for high-speed cruising - not entirely planted, twitchy, windy days pushed it around a lot and a lack of wind protection compared to what enjoyed on my ST1100. I just felt better protected on the 1100 Honda when temps went low, or heading into headwinds and crosswinds. The FJR just did not feel comfortable in that 70-80 MPH zone where I like to be when "making time" is important. My old '91 ST1100 felt like a bullet train - at speed making time on the "slab" it was so rock-solid. Cross winds did not seem to bother it, it just felt really planted. The FJR being lighter handles the twisties very well, sounds great and as it's been said many times before is geared more toward the "sport" side of Sport Touring. With that said, yesterday I brought home a nice, moderate-low milage, well cared with decent farkels '05 ST1300. Ran it up to a friends cabin and back for a "quick" (one day) 350 mile trip to sort it out. Loved the power, handling, wind protection, it felt like my old ST1100 but nicely enhanced. I'm back around again :bow1: to an Honda ST. The FJR will hang around for while but will ultimately be sold - as I only have time to ride take care of one bike at time.:)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
ST 1300s are great. I love mine. Almost jumped at an extremely low mileage used one the other day. Still thinking about it. I have 93K on mine. A newer low miles one would last me the rest of my riding days.

Bike
VStrom 650
Welcome back from Northumberland UK.
ST13 is almost the best touring motorcycle made.......what about the 11. :bow1:

Top Bottom