Hesitation-Fuel Pump &/or plugged screen

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
I have an '08 ST1300 ABS with 72,000 km. I have always used 91 PON fuel (5-10% ethanol). Once or twice 87 PON was used when nothing else available over 5 years ago. I ran the tank out of fuel in mid-May 17. Had 2 bars on the gauge, but chugged through a traffic light and died. I put 27 L into the tank.
Since running out of gas I've felt a very slight hesitation once in a very little while. Tachometer reads normal at idle. After a 3800 km trip to Maggie Valley the end of May I had my dealer check into the problem. He said the screen in the fuel pump was badly clogged and he was having a B*&^h of a time cleaning it. He also said I needed a new float valve. The screen is part of the electric fuel pump and is...wait for it...$1300.00 CDN. OUCH!!!
I have started using STARTRON fuel treatment, hoping to slow the effects of ethanol. The screen has been cleaned as best as they can (I hope) however I think I still feel a hesitation. Fuel mileage is where the book says it should be at between 18.0 km/L - 19.5 km/L t 100 km/h (true). The fuel is never in the tank more than 3-4 days in between fill-ups.
Any suggestions and is this a "normal" price for a fuel pump? OR do I just continue riding it like I stole it?

Thanks/Randy McNaught, London, ON
:confused:

Bike
2010 ST1300
What? The fuel pump complete costs $378 USD from cyclepartsnation.com, and cheapcycleparts.com wants $488 USD. Both are a far cry from $1300 CDN. I'd say you need to shop around until you can get said part from a US dealer or vendor and swap it out yourself. I'm no expert, and I would think other more knowledgeable guys will weigh in here, but your problem might be something else.

I've read here that since the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline and running the tank down to empty can shorten the life of the pump. Someone in the IBA Rally thread said that almost any submersible pump can be made to work - this was for an IBA Rally participant whose fp went south during the event. I'd think in this case you might have to get creative with the fuel level sensor.

Btw, $1300 CDN = $1009 USD = so says an app on my pewter.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Try running two ounces of MMO in every fill up. This will not only clean the fuel system out, but also keep the injectors working smoothly and help prevent rust in the tank. I use the plastic 5 hour energy drink bottles (2oz.) To carry with me. 4oz for 10gal of fuel, so two oz. Works perfect for the average fill up (5gal)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
You may also want to check your 5way tee and replace the lines and do a TB sync.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
As far as the pump and screen, there are forums on here talking about this same issue and the pump out of automobiles work well and are inexpensive, like the $100 inexpensive. I will search for the link.

OP
OP

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
Thank you to everyone that replied and offered up some part numbers & a direction to go. I'll do some more research and see what I can come up with. I agree SMSW that the price is too high, even with current exchange rates from USD to CDN $.

Ride Safe/Randy McNaught

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I replaced just the pump (not the whole assembly) around a year ago using a pump from Quantum Fuel System (aka High Flow Fuel Systems) for $70 US. I checked their webpage and the current model number is slightly different than the one I bought. Replacement was very straightforward.

Top Bottom