Just had my FJR1300 knocked out from under me. What should I replace it with?

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse because you certainly could have been.
Riding motorcycles makes us more vulnerable not special. So carrying emotional baggage as pillion can distract us from the principle task at hand— riding safely to enjoy the ride. The more baggage the more likely we might let ourselves overreact or be distracted. That serves no good purpose.
I appreciate the well meant advice but wanted to assure you I don't ride with emotional baggage other than just the pure love of riding. My statement about ride like they can see you and want to hit you is just my tongue-in-cheek way of over-stressing the "ride like you are invisible" advice.

I say, "Don't ride like you are invisible. Ride like they want to hit you and make sure they can't."

At no time do I actually believe anyone wants to hit me. Sorry to have given the wrong impression.

Another quote I like is "If someone does not try to kill you every time you ride, you aren't paying close enough attention."

Later,
Kent

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Sorry, that just STruck me funny.. :) You got two chain saws in your (RIP BTW) FJR...?
John
Well, one locked up in the top bag and one strapped to the passenger seat. I carry two when needed but I only get one _in_ the bike and have the other one _on_ the bike.
I like to have the Dewalt battery powered saw for up in the tree and keep the big Husqvarna on the ground for dropping the trunk and cleanup.

If the job doesn't need the Husky, I get everything in locked bags.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes Kent, I think that may have been rushing it a little :), I was knocked unconscious, and had a concussion. I would listen to my doctor, but it's your call, and I think we on the forum would like to see you around for a while.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad you came out of that relatively ok.

If you're looking for a 6 speed it only came out with the 2016s. The heat issue was cleared up with the Gen2 bikes (years 06 to `12).

Here's a comparo chart of all the models of FJR http://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf
Wow, that's a very impressive chart.. someone took a lot of time to put that together.

I'm thinking for the ST1300... there were 2.5 gens... lol
.5 would be the 2003 or you could say that was gen1...
2004 and above had elect windshields for both abs and non-abs... so that might be considered gen 1.5
2008 and newer had some changes in ecu/brakes/misc parts... gen 2?

Of course, as far as Honda is concerned they are all gen 1 I guess.

The ST1100 had some more significant changes w/TCS version and the amp upgrades.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the info, Jeff, Mellow. That is great to have on hand for when I start working through the for sale lists.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

VT ST Jimbo

Jim Sallie
Bike
'01 Honda Goldwing
STOC #
That stinks. I had an ST1100 for over 10 years. Recently picked up a Goldwing. Love it. The wife likes the ride a lot better and so do I.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

STOC #
Sorry to hear about the crash Kent. You may recall I had a similar one in 2001. I appreciated your first post when you said that ultimately it's your responsibility to not allow yourself to get taken out by someone else. I was in denial about this for a few years (after all, she was ticketed and pulled out without any body movement whatsoever.) I came around to that line of thought but now you see, sometimes IT happens, even with your guard up at all times. I'm local to you, let me know if you need any help with anything. (Paul Kolbo)

Bike
ST1300@2009
My 2cents as I was in a similar place earlier this year when I decided to buy a sports touring bike.

I considered the R1200RT (newer than 2008 where they supposedly fixed the final drive issues), but read all sort of nightmare stories about costs to maintain it and electronic issues.

Then I looked into the Concours 14, which I think is a great looking bike. But I'm 1m85cm (6ft4 I guess?) and thought the bike was a bit cramped for me.

The Triumph trophy was a candidate, but it seems that the first year production was bad (i.e. final drive issues, electric issues, engine, etc). That plus the fact that there are less Triumph dealers/mechanics made me give up on the Trophy.

What was left was the FJR1300 and the ST1300. The first is more sporty and less roomy (I ride with my wife sometimes) and I couldn't find one at a good price with low miles. I guess they are all busy riding? :)

I was about to give up when a candy red ST1300@2009 showed up with just 8K miles and I decided to pull the trigger.

And oh boy! I'm a happy camper. The V4 engine is awesome and the bike handles like a dream. The only thing I wished the bike had was cruise control (but it seems you can install one).

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
If I were buying a new (to me) sport touring bike, pretty sure it would be one of the following, in no particular order:

2008 or newer ST1300
2014 or newer Super Tenere
2016 or newer VFR1200X
2014 or newer FJR1300

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I'm local to you, let me know if you need any help with anything. (Paul Kolbo)
Thanks Paul. I appreciate the offer but I'm good. I'm able to get around fine with my WR250 while I'm healing. Just have to be careful to get the kickstand down before I get to a full stop.

I'm still feeling a little down about letting that car get me. Shows how you need to be vigilant all the time. No wasting time thinking about what just happened when you need to be ready for what will happen next. Give me a text in a few weeks if you want to meet for lunch and talk bikes for a while.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
voice/text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore <-- I write it that way because I'm delusional and think it fools net bots.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
If I were in the market right now, I'd be taking a look at the Triumph Trophy SE
My wife was happy with the Triumph Trophy 900 we had for 5 or 6 years. I was planning on giving the SE a serious look if it had an optional top trunk hard bag. Thanks for the reminder.
Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
If I were buying a new sport touring bike, pretty sure it would be one of the following, in no particular order:

2008 or newer ST1300
2014 or newer Super Tenere
2016 or newer VFR1200X
2014 or newer FJR1300
I'm adding the Triumph Trophy SE and that's my list.

I've always been reluctant to own Kawasaki so the Concours is out. (Never felt the build quality was good enough on Kawasaki. It has been 20 years since I've owned a Kawasaki so my opinion is just a personal uneasiness from history and is in need of a reassessment that will probably never happen since I'm happy with Honda and Yamaha and will probably just always avoid Kawasaki even if my reluctance for the brand is unjustified.)

It is going to be a fun fall full of test rides and bargain hunting.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It is going to be a fun fall full of test rides and bargain hunting.
I hope your healing goes well and looking forward to posts about your hunt. ;)

FWIW, I used to put the Versys on my list (near the top) but, at 20-25k miles per year, the chain drive just pushes it off. Maybe as a 2nd bike though.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Foot Update: Doc tells me I have breaks on both Tib and Fib ends (ankle bones) and that the Tibia needs two screws installed. 6 to 8 weeks of no load bearing and a pain-in-the-butt boot on my left foot making it hard to shift the WR250 for the rest of the summer.

Bike Search Update: I found a new-with-warranty 2011 Triumph Sprint GT at a dealer in St. Louis that would accept $8000 for the bike. I like the looks and color but don't like the chain drive or the 350 demo ride miles.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Wow, according to Cycle Trader, there's like a dozen new Blue 2016 Yamaha FJR1300 bikes sitting at dealers within 400 miles of my house. Unless these are all the same bike listed at a bunch of dealers, I should have a great chance for good competition getting me a favorable end-of-year value. I think I'm going to end up with another FJR.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Wow, according to Cycle Trader, there's like a dozen new Blue 2016 Yamaha FJR1300 bikes sitting at dealers within 400 miles of my house. Unless these are all the same bike listed at a bunch of dealers, I should have a great chance for good competition getting me a favorable end-of-year value. I think I'm going to end up with another FJR.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
Tough break ;-) That's what I have now ... a 2016 blue

Top Bottom