Has anyone on the forum here actually had a OEM timing belt failure?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I can't remember ever seeing mention of a failure, meaning a broken belt, but I have seen one case where the belt had started to shred itself along one side of its length and was only about half as wide as normal when discovered. Don't remember if the cause of this was found though. Easy to have a look at part of the belt through the inspection cover.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The only time I recall reading about a failure was a case in which the bearings on the water pump failed and the belt was dragged over the pulley, destroying the belt.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Yep, checked the belt while checking the valves. Valves checked in spec and belt looked good. Current miles around 73,500 - normally with a Goldwing I'd go ahead and put belts on but I'm thinking about just bolting the plastic back on the ST1100 and waiting till 100,000 miles like I've read that Uncle Phil does. (Yes, I understand that would be my gamble)

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
My belt has over 200K miles. Last time I looked, it pretty much looks like a new one on the cogs and back of belt. I don't ride it as it has the cracked block "modification".

As long as you understand the consequences, you can run it until you feel you've gotten your money's worth from it. :) or :(

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
IIRC, the spec says change at 90,000 so I don't think it's much of a gamble to wait until 100,000. ;-) I've have had two changed at 100,000 and they both look as good as what replaced them. Got one that is about to be changed - it's sitting at 96,000 right now. :D

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Ron - How does one get or make the "cracked block mod"? At first I thought maybe lack of antifreeze but see you are a fellow Floridian.

UnclePhil - thanks for the update - I think I'll bolt the plastics back on before too long go for a ride looking for more ST's to buy : )

Last edited:
Never heard of a belt failure on the ST1100, only belt damage caused by a failed water pump bearing.

Bike
VStrom 650
belt failure I was just leaving the lights approx 30 kmh motor died pulled to side of road hit starter heard a whirring noise suspect belt broke will have to fit another belt to see if bent valves ?
I suppose someone has to be first Lawrence, sorry to hear of your woes.
We'll all want to know, miles, age, usage, original belts etc.
Upt'North.

The Cheese

belt failure I was just leaving the lights approx 30 kmh motor died pulled to side of road hit starter heard a whirring noise suspect belt broke will have to fit another belt to see if bent valves ?
You probably did bend a valve. How many miles on the bike or belt?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I had a Civic wagon that broke the belt a few K miles after the proscribed mileage, so my bad. Yes, a couple of valves bent.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Sorry to hear that - keep us posted on what you find. I hope you get lucky and did not bend valves,

The Cheese

belt failure I was just leaving the lights approx 30 kmh motor died pulled to side of road hit starter heard a whirring noise suspect belt broke will have to fit another belt to see if bent valves ? 135000 ks on bike I have no history of its previous owner I rides tight has xenon lights everything felt good on the test ride rode 400 klm could have broken down out of town lucky there at least
You've edited your post after I replied.

I wouldn't say 83,885 miles was low. At that point even without the broke belt it needs some maintenance. Coolant hoses and elbows, possible carb work due to sitting up, brake and clutch fluid changes, new rear shock, fork rebuild, and let's pray the splines in the final drive are in good shape.

Is there any retribution from the seller?

If you have any bent valves, you'll hear the "PS-PS-PS" of poor compression.
[/
false alarm belt is not broken opened up front cover belt intact but bike will not start wind wind will not fire open throttle wide open a lot of popping back firing but will not start

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Few moons back (STOCK email-liST) someone posted pics of a t/belt gone haywire, threads and strings everywhere, wrapped over every single shaft, pulley, nook and cranny in there...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
false alarm belt is not broken opened up front cover belt intact but bike will not start wind wind will not fire open throttle wide open a lot of popping back firing but will not start
Sure sounds like it may have jumped a tooth if that is possible on a ST1100s (was on old small block Chevy engines! ;) )
However, the popping and backfiring could be due to the cylinders loaded up with fuel and little spark (just ride down the road at a good clip, hit the kill switch and then back on - sounds like a cannon going off). I'd check the coils and see if they are 'misbehaving'.

Top Bottom