Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear wheel squeak

Bike
    st 1100
    My Gallery

rear wheel squeak

hi all,bought a 1993 st 1100 bout 3 months ago 63000 runs fine,had 2 tyres fitted by local garage,when i got the bike home i noticed when pushing the bike in/out of the garage a noise from the back wheel as if its binding on rubber and slight resistance when turning by hand, i don,t recall hearing it before so wonder if somethings been over tightened or its a normal thing,been on long runs with no probs,rear hub gets hot but not overly so assume thats a normal thing,thanks for any info
    Last edited by stoxjon; 07-14-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: rear wheel squeak

First look would to see if there are any rubbing marks on the swing arm from the tire. Second look would be at the brake pads/caliper to see if they installed/wearing properly.

97 ST1100 STD +146,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +110,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +60,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Have they fitted the right tyre?
    If in doubt about axle nut, re torque same.
    Check if it's brakes binding. Easy to do, remove pannier and relax the caliper on the disc by slight in and out pressure. If it frees up then a caliper service is due.
    Hope it helps.
    Upt'North

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Did you do a visual? Look at the tire while moving it by hand for something dangling or rubbing on the tire/wheel? How about the brake disk, does it look bent - might the shop have dropped the wheel or damaged the disk? If you can see nothing, my money would be on the brake caliper/pads.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    st 1100
    My Gallery

thanks all for replies,will investigate and report back,not today though cos its rainin

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    st 1100
    My Gallery

well guys i found the problem in about 10 seconds,the edge of the tyre is rubbing on the right hand swing arm drive shaft cover,the tyres came as a pair AVON STORM 3D 160/60 zr17 so looks like i need a slimmer rear tyre or can i move the wheel over to the left a tad i would have thought not because it should be all tied in with the caliper etc,any thoughts are welcome,thanks
    Last edited by stoxjon; 07-17-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

The rear tyre as far as I'm aware is a 160/70 17 regardless of model, running at about 42 psi. The front varies if ABS fitted. So although your aspect ration is low the tyre is the right width and can't be the problem. I think this is probably an install problem although I'm scratching my head a little as you can't mount the wheel tighter to the FD than the assembly allows as far as I'm aware. Are you able to take it back to the garage without ruining the tyre for their advice, although they don't seem to have been too good in the first place. Could it be that the Avon is a little wider?
    Let us know?
    Upt'North.

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

I'm sticking my neck out here because I don't know 1100's. If the wheel is not bent (pretty hard thing for a garage to do), is it possible to mount the wheel in such a way that it is off center? The 1300 has spacers - could the guy have reversed these and somehow moved the brake caliper over too? This is a confusing problem that will probably have a very simple solution.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    st 1100
    My Gallery

thanks for your answers guys,it is truly confusing as on the left side of the wheel the gap between the tyre and swingarm is approx 25mm,the wheels not buckled it sits square with the mudguard and looks inline with the front wheel,tomorrow i,m gonna look at the drive shaft cover to make sure its fitted correct,failing that its goin back to the garage,watch this space

Bike
    1991 SSMST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Thinking out loud here...

There is a distance collar that fits in the final drive that if left in the parts washer "might" account for this problem..(?)

Defective tire...(?)

"Driveshaft cover"...?

John
    John OoSTerhuis, STOC 1058, 1991 SSMST1100 - The Grey GhOOST (now @ 188K)
    Multi-task: check out: ST-Riders - The LiST
    My tech/maint/service pictures: link

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast