Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear wheel squeak

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: rear wheel squeak

Thinking out loud X 2.
    Just looked at my 11, about 5mm between drive shaft and tyre and about 1 inch on the other ( don't you love mixing up measurement values ).
    My tyre a Br Evo 30 is 195 mm measured around the shape of the tread and just under 160 straight width, if that makes sense. It is close on the O/S (UK). The just under 160 is approx I haven't got a caliper gauge with me to measure it.
    I can't see the spacer being missing and if it was i don't think it would cause this issue. But like John says check it out.
    All this thinking dunna aft urt. I think it's the tyre?
    Upt'North.

Bike
    1990 ST1100
    My Gallery

Just a comment that running a 160/60 instead of a 160/70 is, in my experience at least, a Bad Idea. Not dangerous in any way, but that extra 10% in profile height accounts for an extra 16mm of tyre radius. That reduces the rpm at any speed, and lifts the back end of the bike up so it is much easier to lift onto the centrestand, has more cornering clearance and IMO steers better. The only downside is that 160/70 tyres are less common than 160/60, and the seat height will go up by the same 16mm. Whether the 60 profile would be more likely to rub the swingarm than a 70 profile is difficult to guess, but the tyre edge will be in a slightly different location along the arm.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    st 1100
    My Gallery

looks like its the tyre lads,just measured and its 200mm round the face of the tread and 170mm across the width so that extra 10mm is the culprit,when they fitted it the hub and shaft were still in place so nowt can be missing from inside the hub,looks like a new tyre is needed or i could dent the shaft cover anyhow we got there in the end thanks to all you lads for your input really appreciated
    john

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12