rear wheel squeak

Bike
st 1100
hi all,bought a 1993 st 1100 bout 3 months ago 63000 runs fine,had 2 tyres fitted by local garage,when i got the bike home i noticed when pushing the bike in/out of the garage a noise from the back wheel as if its binding on rubber and slight resistance when turning by hand, i don,t recall hearing it before so wonder if somethings been over tightened or its a normal thing,been on long runs with no probs,rear hub gets hot but not overly so assume thats a normal thing,thanks for any info

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Have they fitted the right tyre?
If in doubt about axle nut, re torque same.
Check if it's brakes binding. Easy to do, remove pannier and relax the caliper on the disc by slight in and out pressure. If it frees up then a caliper service is due.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you do a visual? Look at the tire while moving it by hand for something dangling or rubbing on the tire/wheel? How about the brake disk, does it look bent - might the shop have dropped the wheel or damaged the disk? If you can see nothing, my money would be on the brake caliper/pads.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
well guys i found the problem in about 10 seconds,the edge of the tyre is rubbing on the right hand swing arm drive shaft cover,the tyres came as a pair AVON STORM 3D 160/60 zr17 so looks like i need a slimmer rear tyre or can i move the wheel over to the left a tad i would have thought not because it should be all tied in with the caliper etc,any thoughts are welcome,thanks

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
The rear tyre as far as I'm aware is a 160/70 17 regardless of model, running at about 42 psi. The front varies if ABS fitted. So although your aspect ration is low the tyre is the right width and can't be the problem. I think this is probably an install problem although I'm scratching my head a little as you can't mount the wheel tighter to the FD than the assembly allows as far as I'm aware. Are you able to take it back to the garage without ruining the tyre for their advice, although they don't seem to have been too good in the first place. Could it be that the Avon is a little wider?
Let us know?
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm sticking my neck out here because I don't know 1100's. If the wheel is not bent (pretty hard thing for a garage to do), is it possible to mount the wheel in such a way that it is off center? The 1300 has spacers - could the guy have reversed these and somehow moved the brake caliper over too? This is a confusing problem that will probably have a very simple solution.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
thanks for your answers guys,it is truly confusing as on the left side of the wheel the gap between the tyre and swingarm is approx 25mm,the wheels not buckled it sits square with the mudguard and looks inline with the front wheel,tomorrow i,m gonna look at the drive shaft cover to make sure its fitted correct,failing that its goin back to the garage,watch this space

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thinking out loud here...

There is a distance collar that fits in the final drive that if left in the parts washer "might" account for this problem..(?)

Defective tire...(?)

"Driveshaft cover"...?

John

Bike
VStrom 650
Thinking out loud X 2.
Just looked at my 11, about 5mm between drive shaft and tyre and about 1 inch on the other ( don't you love mixing up measurement values ).
My tyre a Br Evo 30 is 195 mm measured around the shape of the tread and just under 160 straight width, if that makes sense. It is close on the O/S (UK). The just under 160 is approx I haven't got a caliper gauge with me to measure it.
I can't see the spacer being missing and if it was i don't think it would cause this issue. But like John says check it out.
All this thinking dunna aft urt. I think it's the tyre?
Upt'North.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Just a comment that running a 160/60 instead of a 160/70 is, in my experience at least, a Bad Idea. Not dangerous in any way, but that extra 10% in profile height accounts for an extra 16mm of tyre radius. That reduces the rpm at any speed, and lifts the back end of the bike up so it is much easier to lift onto the centrestand, has more cornering clearance and IMO steers better. The only downside is that 160/70 tyres are less common than 160/60, and the seat height will go up by the same 16mm. Whether the 60 profile would be more likely to rub the swingarm than a 70 profile is difficult to guess, but the tyre edge will be in a slightly different location along the arm.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
looks like its the tyre lads,just measured and its 200mm round the face of the tread and 170mm across the width so that extra 10mm is the culprit,when they fitted it the hub and shaft were still in place so nowt can be missing from inside the hub,looks like a new tyre is needed or i could dent the shaft cover:eek: anyhow we got there in the end thanks to all you lads for your input really appreciated
john

Top Bottom