BMW Oil Changes?

Ok my buddy found out how expensive BMW maintenance is (at least at San Jose BMW) for his R1200GS Adventure:

valve cover gaskets - $149 x 2
oil change - $300
drain plug crush Washer - $9
Replace crush washer very oil change and washer and drain plug every other oil change. WTW??
Totally bat**** crazy. Youd have to be out of your mind to let them work on your bike at those prices! Whatever they put in the BMW coolaide I hope Honda doesnt get the recipe!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Amazon has that for $395. He'd balk at that initially but future services could change is his mind. Any specialized tool(s) needed specifically for a BMW or his Adventure for an oil change?
I bought mine thru Amazon ( a seller on Amazon) too; while I'd rather not have to spend $395, but it is economical very quickly. And it is nice not having to worty about someone elses work, nor having to coordinate a bike to-from the shop.

No, no other tool needed for a GS or RT oil change other than common tools (and the oil filler plug tool; included under the seat from the factory). I did buy a nice set of torx bits as those are the common bolthead on the BMW, and I bought a oil filter removal tool sized to fit on the filter end (it is not an uncommon size, I just didn't have one)..

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Originally Posted by BakerBoy
I purchased a HEXCODE GS-911 and the service manual and so can/will do all factory services myself. I can also reset or change any settings that a BMW shop can do.
Those occasionally show up in the Gear section of the Flea Market on advrider.com so it is possible to obtain one for less than list but they usually sell pretty quick. It is a handy tool to have.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I purchased a HEXCODE GS-911 and the service manual and so can/will do all factory services myself. I can also reset or change any settings that a BMW shop can do.
This is the key. It's a whopping investment, but will pay for itself over time.

On my RT the oil change is easier than it was on my ST, the oil filter is recessed in the oil pan under the bike and accessed without removing any plastic, on a GS you would have to remove a skid plate.
+1.

Overall, maintenance on the BMW has proven to be simpler, quicker and easier than it was on my ST.

That said, the OP is correct. Shop maintenance is spendy for the BMW. Then again, I always felt that shop maintenance on the ST was spendy too.

The economy of it with my BMW purchase was as follows: The BMW was a couple thousand cheaper than the ST1300 out the door.
By the time I added the farkles to the ST1300 to bring it up to the package of the BMW, the ST cost more still.
So, the BMW was cheaper.
That said, the maintenance costs are higher, and in my own case, BMW limits the RPMs via computer until I comply with their mandated warranty checks. My first oil change was $230.
Over time, the cost of the BMW will reach the cost of the ST1300, I'm sure.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've always done all my maintenance work on my R1150RT
Brakes, ABS flush and fill, alternator belts, Wheel circuits, TBS, valve adjustments (Which all I've ever done is checked the clearance - they haven't budged since 12,000 miles) etc, etc. I now have over 190k on the old girl and had one problem - a stick coil went bad.
BMW dealers have all raise their prices and I won't go to one for any service work. Too many forums out there and they will help you solve problems.
It's just a motorcycle.
Some say the parts are ridiculously priced and some parts are. But... so are the parts for any bike.
Do NOT fry your alternator with too many goodies connected and running. A new one for an ST1300 is almost $600. (I can get a refurb for my RT for $189.00)
My RT puts out 700watts - the only thing more generous is a Gold Wing.
There are a ton of aftermarket BMW part vendors that can save you big $$. Beemerboneyard, EuroMotoElectrics, etc.

Let's face it - they all cost more than they're worth. It's recreation and anything to do with recreation will get into your wallet.
You should price some parts for a travel trailer or fifth wheel - SHEESH!! (Don't ask me how I know that...)

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Let's face it - they all cost more than they're worth. It's recreation and anything to do with recreation will get into your wallet.
You should price some parts for a travel trailer or fifth wheel - SHEESH!! (Don't ask me how I know that...)
Coincidentally, I recently read a Blog - I think it was on Gear Patrol - where a guy talks about motorcycle commuting. He concludes that when a year passes, commuting by motorcycle is the same cost as commuting by car. Sure, you save a bit on gas, but the increased frequency of regular and unplanned maintenance makes up for it.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Coincidentally, I recently read a Blog - I think it was on Gear Patrol - where a guy talks about motorcycle commuting. He concludes that when a year passes, commuting by motorcycle is the same cost as commuting by car. Sure, you save a bit on gas, but the increased frequency of regular and unplanned maintenance makes up for it.
Not to mention that you're paying for insurance and you still had to plunk down the cost of the bike and riding gear. And, if you're like most people, you still own a car and are paying for upkeep on that even if you're not driving it.

--Mark

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Not to mention that you're paying for insurance and you still had to plunk down the cost of the bike and riding gear. And, if you're like most people, you still own a car and are paying for upkeep on that even if you're not driving it.

--Mark
Yes. This.

In the end Ripcord is right: You ride the bike you ride solely because you like to ride it.

So, go find pie.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I have a 96 r1100rt. I can remove the fairings, adjust the valves, change the oil in a couple hours. I'm slow and easily distracted. Little less than 1 gallon Rotella 15-40, crush washer @ 50 cents and filter @$6.00 if you buy them 6 at a time.

So to be fair here how much does a Honda dealer charge to do the same service on the ST ? As EAST said I find servicing my K16 is easier than when I had the ST. Valve check is different story but we are not talking about that service. Right ?

Bike
2007 ST1300
It would be interesting to compare the cost of different services between BMW and Honda dealerships.
I'd bet that BMW is more expensive.
At one time, I had 4 motorcycles and a pickup (not counting the wife's vehicle).
Insurance was kill'n me!!
EASt has it - we pay out the $$ because we love to ride these things...

More pie please!

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
So to be fair here how much does a Honda dealer charge to do the same service on the ST ? As EAST said I find servicing my K16 is easier than when I had the ST. Valve check is different story but we are not talking about that service. Right ?
I just looked at my Honda ST1300 Break In service from 2003. $159.

So, that was about $71 cheaper than my BMW Break In service in 2017.

Adjusted for inflation, I'd say it's a wash.

Top Bottom