Side Case / Any Case Mod for Bungee Organizer

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Man I sure get tired of my cleaning supplies bouncing around, leaking and falling out when I open my side cases. I looked all over this site and the internet to find a cure. Tried Bungee nets, ST Case liners (works well for clothing) but nothing for those damned cleaning supplies. Got a new Hot glue gun last year and came up with what seems to me to be the best solution I have seen anywhere to date. Someone else may have thought of this before but I have not seen it. A quick trip to Wally world (or Amazon if you are so inclined) to purchase some plastic picture hanging clips and some mini bungees. Cost $10-12. You could probably cut that in half on Ebay. The pack of Clips I bought contained 18 and the bungees came in a jar of 20. I did not trust the adhesive supplied with the picture clips though it may have worked the hot glue is many many times stronger. This method also allows installation without making any holes in the case that could cause water leaks. I accidentally installed one with the clip facing the wrong direction and is was a simple matter of taking a putty knife and scraping if off and reinstalling it. This may come in handy if I break one down the road. Something else I discovered is I can hot glue these thing just about anywhere inside the case and customize it any way I like. Here are the pics.

[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185055&stc=1&d=1500173709[/IMGL]
[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185054&stc=1&d=1500173709[/IMGL]
[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185056&stc=1&d=1500173709[/IMGL]
[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185057&stc=1&d=1500173709[/IMGL]

Brilliant Idea if I do say so myself! Off to buy more clips. Got some ideas for the Outer case.

Attachments

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If you check some of the Goldwing sites, search for a GL1500 top case cargo net, they are about $5 bucks. They fit perfectly in the side cases of your ST1300. Just take a nylon tie and use the (4) attachment loops (shown along the outside edge of the case in your photos) I find they hold stuff better than bungee cords, and are easier to slip gloves, jackets and stuff behind. They mount on the lid of the saddlebag, so you don't take up any space in the body of the case itself. The nice thing about them is you don't have to glue anything to the case, and there are no metal hooks that may damage stuff.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you check some of the Goldwing sites, search for a GL1500 top case cargo net, they are about $5 bucks. They fit perfectly in the side cases of your ST1300. Just take a nylon tie and use the (4) attachment loops (shown along the outside edge of the case in your photos) I find they hold stuff better than bungee cords, and are easier to slip gloves, jackets and stuff behind. They mount on the lid of the saddlebag, so you don't take up any space in the body of the case itself. The nice thing about them is you don't have to glue anything to the case, and there are no metal hooks that may damage stuff.
Thanks Larry,
I saw the Goldwing cargo net and bought one similar. It does ok on the outer case but only for soft stuff jackets, liners etc. Didn't help with my cleaning supplies.

Last edited:
Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I must be a pig. The only cleaning supply I carry is a rag. On the other hand, I always carry an emergency repair kit that contains duct tape, epoxy, zip ties, electrical tape, leatherman and voltmeter. I put them in a old zipper bag and throw it wherever. Maybe this would be a better solution. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I carry very little in the way of cleaning products in my ST, but if I did on an overnight trip etc, it would probably be in my GIVI top case instead of a side case.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Very nice idea that tidies up the side cases beautifully, made to each individuals preferences! Thanks!

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I must be a pig. The only cleaning supply I carry is a rag
seems like every 100 miles I need to clean the bugs off my visor. The hydrogen peroxide works the best but maybe i don't need to carry such lerge quantities for local rides. This is what I carry for road trips. Got some mechanical stuff in the other case.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Have you ever considered using a padded regulator bag (scuba gear)? Its a medium sized nylon bag with an outer pocket (zipper) and holds enough stuff for most trips (cleaning supplies, tools, maps, etc.)
I put all my stuff in one and slip it behind the cargo net. Now all my stuff is secure, and I still have enough room in the saddlebag for jackets, rain gear, and or a small sleeping bag. I like the fact it keeps all your stuff in one area so you can remove it easily.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have you ever considered using a padded regulator bag (scuba gear)?
Scuba gear in Kansas?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Not familiar with that type of bag. I do use some 1//2 case ST liners that work well on trips but still wont keep my bottles upright. Are these similar?

[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185081&stc=1&d=1500228575[/IMGL]
[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185080&stc=1&d=1500228575[/IMGL]

Attachments

Top Bottom