No ABS light

Since buying my 2004 st1300 there has never been an illuminated abs lamp.ever.
fuses are all good
im convinced the system isn't working as rear tyre skids under hard braking

has anyone got any advice on what to check before spending insane money at Honda dealer in Plymouth?

Bike
VStrom 650
Lev, if your light has always been out someone has probably pulled the bulb, sneaky blighters.
Replace the bulb and see if it comes alive, you will then be able to carry out blink test as described on here.
You would be better posting in the tech area.
The good news is your non ABS brakes will work just fine and dandy obviously with no anti skid function, the bad news it will fail the next test.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Start with these two things and we'll go from there depending on what you find:

Make sure your bike is actually an ABS model by looking for a notched ring on the right side of the front wheel where the bottom of the fork meets the axle. (I don't mean that to be insulting or anything; we did have one instance where this was the case, and checking the obvious things prevents goose chases.)

The next good possibility is that the fuse is blown or has been removed. On North American bikes, it's the "A" fuse, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for right-hand-drive models. :D The ABS indicator is on a different fuse, but if that were out, you'd probably be missing some of your instrument lights and the ABS might work.

Lev, if your light has always been out someone has probably pulled the bulb, sneaky blighters.
The 1300's ABS indicator is a LED on a PC board screwed into the instrument cluster, so you can't really do the pull-the-bulb trick without a soldering iron. :)

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Quote Originally Posted by Upt' North View Post
The 1300's ABS indicator is a LED on a PC board screwed into the instrument cluster, so you can't really do the pull-the-bulb trick without a soldering iron.

--Mark
Even if the indicator was removed or disabled, that probably wouldn't make the ABS non-functional.

OP
OP
Thanks for reply
its definitely the abs model.
has dual linked brakes with stainless hoses, the cog on front disc and says ABS on front mudguard

OP
OP
I've read that some naughty person once taped over the abs led to get bike through the MOT test...
but it's a balls ache stripping out the fairing to access the abs circuit board

may have to so I can see flash codes

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
its definitely the abs model.
has dual linked brakes with stainless hoses, the cog on front disc and says ABS on front mudguard
So someone has been through and replaced the hoses at some point. That is a lot of hose if they did all of it. I wonder if they bypassed the ABS components to convert it to a standard braking setup, and then disabled the ABS light ? It might be worth following the brake lines from the callipers to the ABS components - (eg front and rear modulators) to see if everything is coupled up.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'm not sure why anyone who wanted to disable the ABS and understood how the system worked wouldn't simply pull the fuse or disconnect the computer. The modulators are just a fluid-filled cavity without it.

I'd also be looking for signs that the system has been de-linked.

--Mark

Top Bottom