Thread: Chipseal on the Virginia stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    My Gallery

Chipseal on the Virginia stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway

This was sent out by my old bicycle club in Asheville, NC. Thought it might be useful. I don't have any personal knowledge beyond what this says.

Regards, Bruce - Charlotte, NC
    ----------------------------------------
    Blue Ridge Parkway managers are introducing a maintenance strategy designed to extend the life of pavement on this historic route. Several sections of Parkway between Milepost 27 and 175 have been identified for work as part of a Pavement Preservation Program (PPP). Work on these projects is expected to begin July 5, 2017, with the project taking approximately twelve weeks to complete.

The pavement preservation technique that will be used on the Parkway is known as chipseal, which involves the application of liquid asphalt and stone chips to the road surface. On the Parkway, chipseal will be applied along with a fog seal application to minimize loose gravel and accumulation. This technique can require up to two days to cure properly.

Anticipate loose gravel on the road surface during the cure time for the pavement. Bicyclists and motorcyclists, in particular, are asked to exercise extreme caution as loose gravel on top of the paved surface, during the required curing time, could result in loss of control.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue_Ridge_Parkway_Initiates_Pavement_Preservation_Program_2017.pdf  

My Gallery

Re: Chipseal on the Virginia stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway

"Bicyclists and motorcyclists, in particular, are asked to exercise extreme caution as loose gravel on top of the paved surface, during the required curing time, could result in loss of control. "
    You'll lose control alright. My wife had her first new car one week and they "chipsealed" a road she has to use every day. One pickup truck with extra wide tires comes flying at her from the other direction and the entire front of the car is full of chips in the paint. SMH.

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300abs
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
    This was sent out by my old bicycle club in Asheville, NC. Thought it might be useful. I don't have any personal knowledge beyond what this says.

Regards, Bruce - Charlotte, NC
    ----------------------------------------
    Blue Ridge Parkway managers are introducing a maintenance strategy designed to extend the life of pavement on this historic route. Several sections of Parkway between Milepost 27 and 175 have been identified for work as part of a Pavement Preservation Program (PPP). Work on these projects is expected to begin July 5, 2017, with the project taking approximately twelve weeks to complete.

The pavement preservation technique that will be used on the Parkway is known as chipseal, which involves the application of liquid asphalt and stone chips to the road surface. On the Parkway, chipseal will be applied along with a fog seal application to minimize loose gravel and accumulation. This technique can require up to two days to cure properly.

Anticipate loose gravel on the road surface during the cure time for the pavement. Bicyclists and motorcyclists, in particular, are asked to exercise extreme caution as loose gravel on top of the paved surface, during the required curing time, could result in loss of control.
    Yay, a buddy and I will be coming back from the Deals Gap are and were planning on riding the whole length of the BRP on July 28 and 29. . . . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

We're finding that cash strapped governments here, in particular counties and townships, are moving to resurfacing roads with chipseal vs. new asphalt on secondary roads, the ones that are twistie and relatively lightly traveled. It's a fraction of the cost and effectively ruins the road to motorcyclists who like to push a bit on the corners.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300abs
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    We're finding that cash strapped governments here, in particular counties and townships, are moving to resurfacing roads with chipseal vs. new asphalt on secondary roads, the ones that are twistie and relatively lightly traveled. It's a fraction of the cost and effectively ruins the road to motorcyclists who like to push a bit on the corners.
    So even after the road is totally cured, it will still be unsafe for motorcycles. . . . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Around here (eastern suburbs of Cleveland), after the road is chipsealed, the city sends a power broom/street sweeper through. This gets all the loose gravel up and the road is safer than your standard blacktop w/ tar snakes for motorcycles. Safer because of great traction. Now, if rural counties do not get rid of the excess loose gravel, then bikes will have to tiptoe around.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell ahead of time what has been done after the tar has set up. And fresh chipseal is more abrasive to skin and gear than asphalt. (Let's not debate this.)

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

My wife and I came back from Western North Carolina and rode on Monday 7/10 the section from Roanoke Mountain up to RT 60 (approx MP 120 - 45) and ran into this work being set up in several different stretches. This biggest concern we had was sitting in the sun for up to 10 minutes at a time waiting for the pilot truck to return and guide us thru the one lane work areas (traffic was so light we were often the the only ones waiting). Two of the work areas were several miles long. This was primarily between Roanoke and the Peaks of Otter but there were a couple of other work areas being set up further north. At this time it was all prep work.

We stopped at the James River visitor center (lowest point on the parkway ) and talked with a couple of locals who said this roadwork was really needed. I highly agree as we ran into several rough patches and blind potholes hidden by the combo of bright sun and tree shadow camouflage. You can't be very confident in the curves when you're hitting bumps and holes!

Once complete, traction will be good, but you will lose a couple of thousand miles of tire life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools, Duct Tape and WD40. If it moves when it shouldn't, use the Duct Tape. If it should move and doesn't, use the WD40.

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm headed to Meadows of Dan, VA on Thursday and was planning on riding areas of the Parkway for a few days. I'll check the maps to advoid the fresh stuff. I should be used to it. They chip seal the road in front of my house, every couple of years. For a week afterwards, the loose stuff is 2" deep at the intersections.

Ride Safe
    John
    '06 ST1300 '08 GL1800 '13Wee

Bike
    2015 FJR1300A
    My Gallery

UNREAL ...that they are going to ruin one of the countries treasured roadways. There is NO WAY anyone is going to convince me that chip seal is anything but a cheap way to prolong the life of a road. Years of experience in Indiana has proven that is a LOUSY surface and
    erodes quickly. Ride Hwy 62 between Lanesville, IN. and Leavenworth, IN. to experience what a great (NOT) surface it is. Exposed tar where cage tire paths have worn the surface back down thru the chips. Some of us riding at OH-STOC experienced about 10 miles
    of just done chip seal. They have gotten so cheap that they don't roll it anymore, they let traffic do that work for them. You'd better stay in the tire tracks of the cages unless you want to experience 1-2" of loose gravel. Yup...a rant because it's sad that cheap has overtaken safe out on our roads.

+ New Posts