Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Drive whine

2017 Miles

My Gallery

Rear Drive whine

Just got back from a long trip to the east and have a rhythmic whine at low speeds. Normally feeling and hearing it in second gear between 15 and 25 mph. It doesn't make the noise when accelerating or slowing down, just when you are holding a steady speed. I am not hearing any clunking sounds and can't replicate the sound when on the center stand. The noise quits when the clutch is pulled in, so I am thinking it is not a wheel bearing. All seems good there. Any idea what I might be hearing and feeling. Everything seems normal when riding at highway speeds.

Bike
    00 ST1100 and 07 FJR
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Rear Drive whine

I would check your rear drive splines and the condition of the rear wheel rubber dampers. Not making the noise on the center stand is consistent with not making the noise under no drive train stress experienced by clutch in and braking. I am not sure why worn bumpers or splines would whine though....
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic15232_6.gif

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

How is the oil level in the final drive?

Some gears whine - more a matter of gear design than anything else - but noise where there was none before is not generally good. I know you have an 1100, with which I am not familar. But, the 1300's final drive is held on by 4 bolts - easy to pull (especially if you are going to take Karen's advice and check the splines). Then a few more bolts and the cover comes off. What would you look for? My manual (again, for a 1300) describes proper wear patterns on the gears. For my problem, I was advised to buy a new (i.e. used) FD on ebay - which I did - and that cured my problem (not a whine at all). This might be the quickest and cheapest route for you.

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

+1 check or change the oil first and keep everything crossed.
    Upt'North.

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

All fluids were changed and bearings checked before I left. Rear shafts were removed and all splines cleaned and greased. The noise started at about 4k miles into the trip. But I will take it apart again and see if I can see anything out of the ordinary. I appreciate everyone's input. Sometimes it simple things that get overlooked..

Dennis

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

The only thing I could find when I took things apart is that the seal came out with the driveshaft joint. I will order a new one, but is there a trick to putting that in, since it is back in the tube a bit? I have about one tooth of play in the driveshaft when the bike is in gear. That doesn't seem excessive to me.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Did you use moly on the splines or just regular grease?

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I used High Temp, multi purpose. The local dealer said that would be ok. I'm not seeing any wear on the splines and they were all still well covered. The bike just turned 62K. So how often should the swing arm be taken out and the other parts greased? I am a newby when it comes to shaft drives.
    Last edited by Packman; 07-16-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Bike
    91 ST1100, 07 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Packman....find an owner's manual or maintenance manual for the 1100. It contains factory recommendations on maintenance interval by mileage and recommended lubricants. This will save you all manner of guesswork.

Use a molybdenum paste (containing 40% or more moly) for the drive splines on the rear hub and wheel.

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Check that it is nothing catching on the tyre, wheel, brake disc rotor and the ABS pulsar ring - if you have ABS.

Also - don't dismiss the bearings as a possible source. Just cos they were OK before you set off doesn't mean anything - they have to fail at some point, and their lifespan depends on the load being carried, who put them in and how they did it. I had a set of rear bearings fail after just 10,000 miles, simply because they had been side-loaded when they were installed by a dealer.

Note OldBikeFixr's comment about the molybdenum content of the paste for the splines. Normal grease, or normal moly grease isn't up to the job - the dealer is wrong. It must be the molybdenum disulphide paste which has at least 40% MoS2 . The ST1300 manual quotes Molykote G-n Paste manufactured by Dow Corning in USA.

The shop manual describes how the ring gear in the final drive housing and the pinion gear on the end of the shaft can be adjusted using shims to ensure the correct contact is made between the two gears - but it is many years since I looked at this.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast