Rear Drive whine

Just got back from a long trip to the east and have a rhythmic whine at low speeds. Normally feeling and hearing it in second gear between 15 and 25 mph. It doesn't make the noise when accelerating or slowing down, just when you are holding a steady speed. I am not hearing any clunking sounds and can't replicate the sound when on the center stand. The noise quits when the clutch is pulled in, so I am thinking it is not a wheel bearing. All seems good there. Any idea what I might be hearing and feeling. Everything seems normal when riding at highway speeds.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How is the oil level in the final drive?

Some gears whine - more a matter of gear design than anything else - but noise where there was none before is not generally good. I know you have an 1100, with which I am not familar. But, the 1300's final drive is held on by 4 bolts - easy to pull (especially if you are going to take Karen's advice and check the splines). Then a few more bolts and the cover comes off. What would you look for? My manual (again, for a 1300) describes proper wear patterns on the gears. For my problem, I was advised to buy a new (i.e. used) FD on ebay - which I did - and that cured my problem (not a whine at all). This might be the quickest and cheapest route for you.

OP
OP
All fluids were changed and bearings checked before I left. Rear shafts were removed and all splines cleaned and greased. The noise started at about 4k miles into the trip. But I will take it apart again and see if I can see anything out of the ordinary. I appreciate everyone's input. Sometimes it simple things that get overlooked..

Dennis

OP
OP
The only thing I could find when I took things apart is that the seal came out with the driveshaft joint. I will order a new one, but is there a trick to putting that in, since it is back in the tube a bit? I have about one tooth of play in the driveshaft when the bike is in gear. That doesn't seem excessive to me.

OP
OP
I used High Temp, multi purpose. The local dealer said that would be ok. I'm not seeing any wear on the splines and they were all still well covered. The bike just turned 62K. So how often should the swing arm be taken out and the other parts greased? I am a newby when it comes to shaft drives.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Packman....find an owner's manual or maintenance manual for the 1100. It contains factory recommendations on maintenance interval by mileage and recommended lubricants. This will save you all manner of guesswork.

Use a molybdenum paste (containing 40% or more moly) for the drive splines on the rear hub and wheel.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check that it is nothing catching on the tyre, wheel, brake disc rotor and the ABS pulsar ring - if you have ABS.

Also - don't dismiss the bearings as a possible source. Just cos they were OK before you set off doesn't mean anything - they have to fail at some point, and their lifespan depends on the load being carried, who put them in and how they did it. I had a set of rear bearings fail after just 10,000 miles, simply because they had been side-loaded when they were installed by a dealer.

Note OldBikeFixr's comment about the molybdenum content of the paste for the splines. Normal grease, or normal moly grease isn't up to the job - the dealer is wrong. It must be the molybdenum disulphide paste which has at least 40% MoS2 . The ST1300 manual quotes Molykote G-n Paste manufactured by Dow Corning in USA.

The shop manual describes how the ring gear in the final drive housing and the pinion gear on the end of the shaft can be adjusted using shims to ensure the correct contact is made between the two gears - but it is many years since I looked at this.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Packman,
Don't forget to inspect the magnet in the drain bolt for a build-up of debris - it could indicate something nasty going on....

BudC

'91 ST STOC# 422
STOC #
Use a molybdenum paste (containing 40% or more moly) for the drive splines on the rear hub and wheel.
Note OldBikeFixr's comment about the molybdenum content of the paste for the splines. Normal grease, or normal moly grease isn't up to the job - the dealer is wrong. It must be the molybdenum disulphide paste which has at least 40% MoS2 . The ST1300 manual quotes Molykote G-n Paste manufactured by Dow Corning in USA.
Your Honda motorcycle dealer should have the stuff, or they can order it:. Pro Honda Oils and Chemicals MOLY 60 PASTE. It comes in a tube about and inch in diameter and 6 inches long, and has a big "HONDA" on the label. The first couple of times I bought it (yes I lost one and gave the other away, I know it should last longer :) ) they had it behind the counter, but the last time it wss in a blister pack out on the floor in the parts department.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
. . . . is no longer available, for about two or three years. They now sell a Moly 77, which I have no idea if it is suitable. Glad I have an almost full tube of the 60.
And, some sites still use the picture of the old tube when you search using the part number but are selling the replacement. I ordered a tube of the 60 and was sent the new replacement - the 77.

Bike
R1200rt
A whine is not going to caused by lack or wrong grease on the splines. A cupped tire can cause whine type noise. I would drain the diff and inspect fluid for metallic particles. Some is normal but should be hard to see. Beside its easier than an oil change. Is the rear tire smooth? Does the noise change when swerving ?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
. . . . is no longer available, for about two or three years. They now sell a Moly 77, which I have no idea if it is suitable. Glad I have an almost full tube of the 60.
Dow Corning also produce a Molykote M-77 MoS2 paste. It seems to be designed for similar applications as the G-n paste that Honda also recommend in their shop manual. I cannot tell if the Honda Moly 77 is the same stuff as the Molykote M-77, but it is possible since the name is so similar and Honda quote Dow Corning products.

For UK members, Rocol produce suitable and Honda recommended MoS2 paste.

OP
OP
Everything was well grease and I just drained and put in the required amount of Honda rear drive oil before I left on the trip. Tires are new and had about 3000 miles on them when I first noticed the noise. Drained the rear end when I got home and found no metallic particles. The noise stops when you pull in the clutch. I have been on vacation on one of my other bikes with my granddaughter so haven't worked on it for a while.

Top Bottom