Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 ST1300 Sticky Rear Brake

Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

2009 ST1300 Sticky Rear Brake

July 16, 2017

Last week I drove my 2009 ST1300 about 20 miles and by the time I got back home the rear brake was sticking so bad that it could not be moved when sitting on it while in neutral. The 20 mile distance was about Ĺ highway, the balance on residential streets.

The bike now has 24,555 miles, and I bought it from the original owner when it had 7,500 miles on it. All services have been done at the correct intervals (up until the 24k service) by Honda dealerships. Iíve done some of the 24k service myself, and was getting ready to bleed and replace the brake fluid in the brake & clutch lines when the back brake issue occurred. FYI, this bike does not have ABS brakes.

On February 23rd I had a new rear tire installed at a Honda dealer, and they said my rear brake pads needed to be replaced. I had them change the brake pads, and the mileage at that time was 22,490 (i.e., the sticking rear brake happened about 5 months and 2k miles after the shop installed the new brake pads).

Other than doing occasional bursts of 90 on the highway, I do not ride this bike hard. My questions:
    ∑ Is this something the shop didnít do correctly when they changed the brake pads
    ∑ Should I change the fluids and see if that corrects the problem
    ∑ With the heat generated by the sticking rear pads, should a brake rebuild be done (could the heat have deteriorated the rubber seals)
    ∑ Should I take a hard look at the dreaded SCM valve

Frankly, Iím surprised that this issue has occurred at 24k miles. This mileage really doesnít seem to be excessive, especially for the ST1300. Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on this they wish to share, I would appreciate it.

Gary L. Sager

Re: 2009 ST1300 Sticky Rear Brake

I thought I heard the white courtesy phone ringing
    In answer to your four questions:
    1. Maybe
    2. More than likely
    3. Not sure
    4. Perhaps
    Now with my dry sense of humor out of the way...Since this is only your second post (first one was probably the introduction), I probably sound like an idiot with my response, however, I think I can safely say that I know just a little bit about the brake system (as well as several other members here) and will make myself available to you if you would like to PM me a contact phone number so I can call you on the white courtesy and discuss your brake issues.
    The real answers to your four questions would be:
    1. More than likely, since most shops don't work on this model enough to know some of the little gotcha's on brake bleeding or brake service.
    2. Yes, absolutely, you should flush and bleed the entire system correctly to make sure you find the source of your issues.
    3. I will have to discuss this one on the phone and ask you some more questions before I make a guess.
    4. Some SMC (secondary master cylinder) units have gone bad with as little as 15,000 miles on them, or as much as 50,000 miles on them, it all depends on how often it was serviced/flushed, and what kind of environment the bike was stored/ridden in etc.

Send me your number, and I'll see if I can help.
    To make you feel more comfortable talking to a total stranger about your brakes, use the search box and look at some of my Igofar Reviews from other members.
    Looking forward to helping you if I can.
    Igofar
    Last edited by Igofar; 07-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

How many rear pads is this? How many front pad changes have there been?

Bike
    2010 st1300abs
    My Gallery

Definitely contact IgoFar directly. He know a tremendous amount about our bikes and can help you greatly!

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

Hi Trump -

The only non-routine maintenance by the original owner was changing the battery. I too changed the battery last year. Other than tires, those are the only non-routine maintenance items up until the rear brake pads that I listed on the initial thread.

I received an email from IGoFar this morning and am waiting for his call. I have read many good things about him on this forum and look forward to speaking with him. I'll post more as new info becomes available, and thank you for your interest in this.

BTW, congratulations on your election.

Gary L. Sager

Bike
    2006 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Take a look at the linked brake system and if the front brake caliper plunger that activates that read caliper pistons is not returning/releasing after using the front brake. I had a similar issue and luckily my mechanic LOVES ST1300s and had heard about this issue. The problem was resolved with the replacement of the front caliper...And the bleeding of the brakes is quite complicated and time consuming.

Good luck and Ride Safe.

CW

Hold my beer, I got this

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cwenten View Post
    And the bleeding of the brakes is quite complicated and time consuming.
    For a neophyte- yes. But once you've seen it done a couple of times or been walked through it correctly it's not very bad at all. Yes a little time consuming but I believe it can be done correctly more quickly than described by the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sager View Post
    I have read many good things about him on this forum and look forward to speaking with him.
    Take notes. He bled the brakes on my STs one fresh from the dealer. The first one had more bubbles in than an episode of Sea Hunt. Needless to say the brakes were amazing and warranted his warning to go easy and get used to them. The second had brakes that felt perfectly solid but he still got bubbles out and improved them as well. Basically the dealership did crap job and fair job of prepping a brand new bike. I learned my lesson and took the second bike from the showroom to Igofar straightaway.

The ST's Linked Brake System is involved and initially intimidating to be sure. (I still won't DIY DIM but that's me. Once you've learned the routine properly you'll be golden. Not to mention there's the phone.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

11. The Following User Likes This Post:

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Once you fix the problem with Igofar's help maintaining the brakes on a ST1300 isn't rocket science. No secrets lurk within, no black arts revealed to a select few. It's just regular inspections and conscientious regular maintenance done on time or at recommended mileage. Numerous resources are available here and elsewhere specific to peculiarities of this job on the ST.

13. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST Gui View Post
    The first one had more bubbles in than an episode of Sea Hunt.
    Careful, my friend. You're showing your age. Next time you will refer to an episode of Sky King.....or Bernard Moitessier.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast