Can anyone confirm they have used this cover for many years?

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Below is a copy of post in another thread on this cover being used since 1993 and that it is waterproof.
What is the date of the post that you quoted? The link to eBay that you cited makes no claim that the cover is waterproof.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A cover could last a long time if it's never exposed to the elements, i.e; used only in their garage when the bike is covered.

I use my covers for when I'm at work. Up until the first of the year, my bike was exposed to the Sun/elements everyday when I was here. A cover would usually last about 2 years before they would be destroyed by the Sun/elements.

Now, I have a parking garage that I park in/under(although it is exposed to the Sun for a couple of hours), so the Sun/elements only get to it later in the day. So I expect my covers to last a bit longer now.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I had an OSI Evolution cover in the late 1990s that kept my bike nice and dry when I didn't have a garage. After several years, some of the woven fabric (the breathable part) got worn by the tops of the mirrors on the bike I had at the time. That may have been my error, and buying the next-larger size would probably have prevented that. OSI also imports some riding gear and gloves, some of which has received positive marks from reviewers.

The OSI was replaced with a Dowco, which I haven't given the outdoors test thanks to the aforementioned garage.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
My Nelson-Rigg mini cover is going to last a long long time. I use it when I go to rallies and the bike is outdoors. At home it's parked inside my garage. So far, the cover sees the weather maybe 8 or 10 days a year - its set in the evening and removed in the morning.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Nelson-Rigg mini cover is going to last a long long time. I use it when I go to rallies and the bike is outdoors. At home it's parked inside my garage. So far, the cover sees the weather maybe 8 or 10 days a year - its set in the evening and removed in the morning.
Yep, your cover should last a long time. That's the same type of cover I use and have used for the last nine years. Figure my used to be exposed 5 days a week, for about 48 weeks a year, and they would last at least two years... So, yeah, your cover should last a long time! ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I use to cover my bike but not any more except for the few days it rains here in So Cal. My bike sits outside all the time since I ride it every day.

One hot afternoon I left work early, It was 110 degrees out, I pulled the cover off and started up the bike and the bike thermometer read 138 degrees. The cover may have been keeping the bike clean but it was acting as a toaster oven...

We also have many days of high winds. My former top box use to be gloss black. The constant buffeting turned that box to flat black and my windshield started to peel..
In the six years that I have had this bike I have gone through two covers..

I suggest, take a softcover for your precious bike, and over that the most cheapest coverfoil (like a building material cover) to prevent that.
I'm lucky to have a garage for the night, overdays I don't use any covers.
By bike runs 6-7 days a week, 30.000+ km a year.

Bike
R1200rt
don't expect any cover to last a long time when being used. Convertible tops on car don't last a long time when exposed to the elements. Just buy one in your price range and if it lasts longer than you expected hooray for you!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I just wanted a cover thats is long lasting because I am tired of throwing blankets and painters plastic, and tarps on it when it rains and for snow in the winter.
Get a proper cover that breathes so moisture that accumulates will evaporate. The stuff you're throwing on it will trap it in there and isn't doing the bike any favors.

--Mark

Bike
VStrom 650
Looking at the space you've got in your garden/yard, why not build a timber frame set up with either a solid or tarp roof, no need to run out when it rains and you could box the sides in very easy if required. Or the other option is the ride in bike store that you pull over the top. As long as they are well anchored down you'll be fine.
I'd personally build a timber shelter and be done with it.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That Bike Barn is a neat bit of kit. Getting the trike version for outdoor use is a great idea. The smaller on in a garage would be handy too to keep dust dryer lint and dog hair off the bike.

OP
OP
1991ST1100
Bike
1991 ST1100
Apparently there is no such thing as a proper cover. None of them are long lasting for my garageless situation and i wont pay $100 or more for a cover that is not guaranteed to last, I think we have all learned there is no cover that will withstand the elements on a daily basis and last 10 years

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
1991ST1100 said:
I think we have all learned there is no cover that will withstand the elements on a daily basis and last 10 years
I think that's asking a lot of a motorcycle cover especially for just $100 or less. I don't know that I've learned it just never would have expected it.

OP
OP
1991ST1100
Bike
1991 ST1100
actually the blankets I use absorb moisture... and then the heat of the day evaps it off the cotton blankets. So I am sticking with my cover but I am going to improve it by attaching the thickest painters drop plastic to the tarp then I will throw blankets on the bike first, that way the moisture barrier is covering the moisture absorbing blankets, and they will absorb 99.999% of the moisture, imho, and the bike will be much more protected... and even if the blankets hold some moisture its very minimal on the amount that will get attached to the bike and all its marvelous parts :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Sounds like a plan. I'd still consider venting the tarp and maybe the blanket near the top of the cover.

Top Bottom