Article LED Headlight Conversion

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I am curious about the longevity of these LED bulbs.

I had HID's but reverted back to stock because of the unreliability of the HIDs lighting and the problem of replacement out on the road in the event of a failure.

Even the stock halogen's I've had to replace my left one like three times - never the right though!

So anyone been running the LED's for more than 2 years?

Bike
2004 ST1300
What a great write up!! Just performed this on my ST1300. I had an opps moment when the mounting plate went into the headlight, but I was able to retrieve using some stiff wire bent into a hook at the end. Can't wait to drive at night now! Thanks for doing this!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
About 1.5 years, and 30k miles on the 06 St1300 with the Evitek G6.
I have put them in four other cars and 7 other bikes all are still working...

I have had only two failures, one in my Suburban and one in the Safari but both with a 9006 bulb with a XHP50 chip.
only one of the two chips went out so I had half brightness from the bulb.
The so called brighter bulb has a shorter life span...

Last edited:
Hi, I have a 1996 ST1100 (not a 1300).

Correct me if I'm wrong but to fit a H4 Halogen replacement I will need a shim adaptor.

Is there a wattage limitation (legal vs what the machine will tolerate)?

Can I safely run 60/55W? or higher?

If I go what seems to be the extra mile and attempt to fit LEDs, will I still need the shims for my 1100?

Rohdster ... ST convert

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You need the shims to adapt a typical H-4 bulb to your 1100 be it incandescent halogen or LED. It's the 1300s that don't [-]use[/-] need the shims.

The legal wattage limitation is 45/45W. The headlight should safely handle 55/60W bulbs. You might want to check that the bulb connectors are clean and corrosion free.

Welcome to the flock my son.

Thanks ST Gui,

Today both of my low beams died. I'm not a guy with small hands so extracting the bulbs was not an easy task for me but after much swearing and cursing the Honda "design for ease of maintenance" team, I managed to remove them both.

IMAG1869 (002).jpg

Mine were unshimmed H4 lamps randomly jammed in place by the bikes previous owner ... no finesse here.

Shims on order. I just hope I remember where all the failring screws go when I have to reassemble the beast.

PS I've already had to change a front tyre while away from the house. Honda's "design for ease of maintenance" team must have been on vacation when front wheel removal was discussed too

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I like the orange mirror lens but still want to replace the bulb. What ones should I use? Same ones as the clear conversation or a colored one. Please advise, gonna order the stuff soon. Thx

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Generally you're better off using an LED that is the same color of the turn signal (?) lenses.

I think the odds of getting a 'white' LED with a greater amber component thus greater amber lumen output than an amber LED is hit or miss.

Are you doing a straight incandescent to LED swap or are you going with SwitchBacks?

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
Generally you're better off using an LED that is the same color of the turn signal (?) lenses.

I think the odds of getting a 'white' LED with a greater amber component thus greater amber lumen output than an amber LED is hit or miss.

Are you doing a straight incandescent to LED swap or are you going with SwitchBacks?
Stock to an led....sounds like an Amber led is the way to go.

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I will be ordering bulbs soon. I want to match the fire fly 6500k color. Think 6500k close enough?
I'd like to make the Amber turn signals pop more and brighter... whatever is easiest to install without any more. Antony have an Amazon link?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I will be ordering bulbs soon. I want to match the fire fly 6500k color. Think 6500k close enough?
If your Fyre Fly bulbs are 6500K and you're talking about headlight LED 6500K should be close. There's no guarantee that any bulb you buy is actually the color temperature stated or has the lumen output stated unless you buy from a reputable manufacturer whoever that might be.

My avatar shows a slight difference in color temperature between the SBs and the halogens but it's much greater in person. My Evitek G6s are a lot closer match to my SwitchBacks then my halogen bulbs were. I don't think you'll have a problem with a mismatch.

Well I messed this up. I was looking for an opinion on if 6000k color would be close enough to 6500k from an aesthetic stand point.

Thanks for your input ST Gui!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was looking for an opinion on if 6000k color would be close enough to 6500k from an aesthetic stand point.
My reply would be pretty much the same. You never know how accurate the manufacturer's specs/claims are unless/maybe it's a well respected manufacturer.

My way of thinking was a) the SBs are separate enough from the headlights that I wouldn't have to consider them necessarily having to match especially since they were amber to start with and b) they're all probably close enough for Govt. work. Really.

So I wouldn't think twice about a color temperature difference between 6000 and 6500K. The 'optics' (gotta love buzz words) will look much better than the Fyre Flys and the OEM bulbs.

Here's a pic of my bike with:

Fyre Flys SwitchBack LED turn signals
Amber incandescent position lights
G6 Evitek LED headlights

There is a slightly bluish tint (at this distance and angle) compared to the SBs. This isn't enough to bother me a whit compared to how the SBs looked with the halogen bulbs. So the aesthetics are fine by me. And yes the amber position bulbs were a deliberate choice. I've got a few so they'll get used up before going to LEDs

My avatar shows the SBs with the OEM 45/45W halogens. They only look as white as they do because of the sunlight. In shade or at night they looked much more amber because they're halogen. And halogens have a cooler color temp than traditional incandescents!

Last edited:
Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I'd like to make the Amber turn signals pop more and brighter... whatever is easiest to install without any more. Antony have an Amazon link?

Going to order the headlights and marker lights per this guide today. Any final thoughts on turn signals? I want to stay Amber and simple.

Thx all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I want to stay Amber and simple.
Then just basic amber LEDs should do the trick. The no attack/decay of LED illumination does make them 'pop' compared to incandescent bulbs.

I don't know of or have a recommendation for a specific turn signal LED that is brighter than the factory bulbs. That would be a plus. Look for LED threads by spiderman302 and see what he uses.

Another thing to consider— an LED turn signal bulb will flash more rapidly than normal (aka 'hyper-flash') unless you a) wire a resistor in series with each bulb or b) replace the bikes flasher with one designed for use with LED. The latter is the way to go.

Some riders prefer and keep the 'hyper-flash' which does make the turn signals 'pop'. But then you should also replace your rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs as incandescents may not reach full brightness in 'hyper-flash' state.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 and 2008 ST1300
First all I'd like to say great post!
Like many of you I was going to add external fork lights to my 2008 and my wife's 2010 "steed", but this approach appears work much better.
I do have "one" question though. Will I need to install a flasher relay for the turn signal bulbs AND does anyone have any instruction as to how this is done?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Will I need to install a flasher relay for the turn signal bulbs AND does anyone have any instruction as to how this is done?
You don't need to replace your OEM flasher relay with an LED compatible version if you don't mind hyper-flashing turn signals. (The flash rated is similar to cars that flash faster when one bulb is dead.)

If you don't like the h-f then you can either install resistors (don't do that) or replace the relay. It's plug n play.

The relay is under the left middle side cover (I don't know the ST nomenclature) in a right back area in a cluster of relays. Unplug it plug in the LED version put the side cover back on and your done.

There are several threads on the subject with more details such as flasher relays that we've used and which relay you replace etc. If I get a chance I'll try finding a couple via the Advanced Search.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was going to add external fork lights to my 2008 and my wife's 2010 "steed", but this approach appears work much better.
While I don't care for fork mounted lights the LED turn signals aren't necessarily a replacement for them. A lot of members like them and they help broaden your Plane of Conspicuity as seen by oncoming vehicles to a greater degree than possible with just the turn signal mod.

LED light assemblies suitable for mounting can be had that are much brighter than the turn signal LEDs. But with great lumens comes great responsibility.

The LEDs are plug n play in comparison to adding fork lights but I'd wouldn't discourage anybody from the fork light farkle. You can add mod the turn signals easily in an hour or less. Then add fork lights if you like when you like and have more time.

Top Bottom