Article LED Headlight Conversion

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I did my LED conversion today. Thank you very much JayBear! The worst part was getting the left spring clip back on. I removed the inner cowl and put on a thin pair of gloves. I finally got it. I have a bunch of wires from farkles on that side. Made it a pain to get to.

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I got my lights... hopefully putting them in soon. Not going to touch the turn signals for a while.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I have a question. To put the headlight globes in, you have to remove and then replace the rubber seal, but I noticed in the photo that the heat vent for the LED globe is sitting outside the rubber seal. Doesn't this mean that there's the possibility of water getting in here and shorting out? Even though the fairing would prevent a lot of water being in that area, isn't the purpose of the rubber seal to act as a barrier to prevent water getting into an electrical item? In this case the connector would have provided the rest of the seal, but here it's plugged into a loom.

So is water getting in here a real risk due to the vents being open to the elements?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So is water getting in here a real risk due to the vents being open to the elements?
I think the purpose of the seal is to limit dust and condensation more than actual water. And getting water in that area might also damage the reflector.

I haven't seen any posts mention water getting to the fan/heat sink area or complain of getting any water up in that area. So it's probably not a problem unless maybe if you ride in a lot of very heavy rain and go through a lot of puddles. Maybe.

I live in a drought to semi-droungt area and avoids the rain as much as possible and haven't see any evidence of moisture behind the fairing.

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
Mine are in now per instructions. It was a bugger to put the marker lights in by reaching in from the dash area. A few nicks and scrapes are worth the lights being in. Thanks, I can always count on the STO site for invaluable info and how-to's.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300
Just finished up installing the new G6s. Was easier thanks to your post. I removed the dash .where can I get the trick clear/amber lens thingy??

OP
OP
JayBear
Bike
2006 HONDA ST1300
Just finished up installing the new G6s. Was easier thanks to your post. I removed the dash .where can I get the trick clear/amber lens thingy??
Glad it helped. I got them on Amazon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
where can I get the trick clear/amber lens thingy??
I got my clear turn signal lenses from eBay. There are a bunch of different sellers but I bet the lenses come from only one manufacturer.

Be advised that the quality of the molding from the back is a little rough but installed they look mah-valous.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I think the purpose of the seal is to limit dust and condensation more than actual water. And getting water in that area might also damage the reflector.

I haven't seen any posts mention water getting to the fan/heat sink area or complain of getting any water up in that area. So it's probably not a problem unless maybe if you ride in a lot of very heavy rain and go through a lot of puddles. Maybe.

I live in a drought to semi-droungt area and avoids the rain as much as possible and haven't see any evidence of moisture behind the fairing.
Put in the G6s and soon thereafter went through a torrential rain. I got water in the headlight assembly. That was a couple weeks ago, and it's quite difficult to get water out. Still haven't got it all out. Doesn't cause any problems except for some condensation on the inside of the lens. This winter, I'll see about taking the assembly off and draining it out.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have found that the visibility for oncoming drivers is much better with the LED lights. It just creates a larger light area to grab their attention.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Just want to say a big Thank you for all this information. Just completed my update to Evitek H4s. Now I wait till warm weather again in Wisconsin.

Bruce

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
mathewb said:
Just completed my update to Evitek H4s.
They may need some alignment so you'll want to see to that if you haven't already.

But you're going to love them! My Wing buddy keeps commenting on how bright they are. He can barely see my ST buddy's lights compared to mine. I asked him if they were blinding/dazzling/distracting and he said no just really bright.

Now I want a non-LED headlight modulator! :grin:

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Great info, thanks. I will be looking at this for my 96 ST this winter.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John - If I can be of any help, I've installed the Eviteks on all three of my ST1100s.
Thanks, my friend, but I don’t need install help. Just need an OK from Jay for the AOW. Off forum so as to not add to the thread. Was going to email you just now but see you don’t email here, and I don’t PM. :)
John

OP
OP
JayBear
Bike
2006 HONDA ST1300
Thanks, my friend, but I don't need install help. Just need an OK from Jay for the AOW. Off forum so as to not add to the thread. Was going to email you just now but see you don't email here, and I don't PM. :)
John
Hey John! I actually hit reply but it must not have gone through. You are welcome to share the info, I just want to help my fellow riders. As long as you or anyone else puts the credit and doesn't claim its their work I'm okay with it. :) Thanks for asking first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Jay! Full attribution of course. On ST-Riders, always!

BTW, what’s your last name (and STOC number) for the record?

John

Top Bottom