To Protect and to Serve

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Most everybody's familiar with the LAPD's motto and its variants. There are a few here who've lived that so I thought I'd share a recent story.

A good long time friend of mine retired a few months ago from the Alameda County Sheriff's Office in CA. He was a cop for 41 years. He rode motors for a local PD for 28+ years and with ACSO for 10+ as a motor deputy then Sergeant.

Yesterday he got a call from one of the boys in the Motor Unit asking him to meet at Alice's Restaurant in Woodside. When he arrived he was greeted by a bunch of the boys from the unit past and present whom worked with and for him. A little surprised he was then ushered to a table where the rest of the group parted to reveal this:

Legion 2.jpg

This box was made by a retired ACSO Commander who had supervised my friend. It is beautiful inside and out and is very detailed in housing the item inside. As it may not be appropriate for discussion in ST-O I'll FFWD a little.

Once in Traffic Court he was getting a hard time from a traffic commissioner who had no law enforcement background and apparently had no love for police. After he testified she decided that the defendant would walk much to the displeasure of my buddy. She made a remark in open court about his ability as related to traffic enforcement. Not one to suffer poor deportment lightly he returned the favor regarding her knowledge of the CVC and ability to apply it and followed with a short speech many here may recognize. Part of it was immortalized in the above box:

Legion.jpg

I found the added sentiment on the bottom half to be very touching. Those of you who've spent a career in law enforcement know that many times you aren't held in high esteem by the general public or even so-called friends. However it is a great thing to earn the respect of your peers supervisors and subordinates.

As he is a long time motor officer who rode almost every day of his career and off duty as well I thought a motorcycle forum with some cops and motor cops would be a good place to share. He was good police.

We have a ride planned to Hoover Dam and we're really looking forward to it.

Bike
VStrom 650
God bless him and let's hope he has a long and joyful retirement, after all, "work is for the drinking classes".
The boys in blue need to be told thanks every now and then, without them we would all need to take up arms to protect our homes and love ones.
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 HONDA ST1300
Love it! Best wishes to your buddy and all Law Enforcement/First Responders.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have many friends that where and are LEO officers and now there sons and daughters are following in there steps. The daily stress they go thru and just knowing that there is a percentage of the population that does not like you no matter what you do. It is a tough job. What a great tribute to man for a job well done.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
OUTSTANDING!
Please pass along our congratulations!

Being a former Auxiliary Police Officer for a local municipality I have some experience with, and appreciate, what LEO's go through every day. Please let him know how much he is appreciated!!!

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
God bless the men and women in uniform, military, police and firefighters. They don't get the recognition they deserve.

Top Bottom