Phantom Speedo

Bike
Pan European ST1100P
Hi all , I have a confusing issue on my 2001 ST1100 p. My speedometer just stopped last week for no apparent reason. After investigated I found the cable had twisted snapped. So new cable all set. Well no. It still won't work I have connected the cable and spun it the Speedo moves. I have removed the cable from the speedometer and spun it with the wheel it moves, but as soon as I put it all together . Nada nothing. Every thing works when it is in bits but not when it is connected any ideas as I think it's haunted.

OP
OP
vinnieC2804
Bike
Pan European ST1100P
Sorry I have not gotten used to this format. It has broken just above the connection to the front wheel there was a cut in teh covering and it looks like it had rusted through.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
It could be the small gearbox on the axle. Mine stripped out after ??? xxxx of miles, and just put in a new one from Honda.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe the gearbox at the wheel has a problem and can spin the cable without the load of the speedometer. If you spin the wheel and then grab the loose end of the cable while spinning the wheel does the cable still spin?

Is the cable properly lubed? The old cable might have just give up the ghost (and passed it on the the new cable? lol) or something else may have caused it to snap. Your speedometer seems to work so maybe the gearbox? Just guessing here.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Sounds like the cable break may have been due to corrosion related seizure. The fact that you are having no speedo response when both cable ends are connected may mean you are missing, just slightly, a proper insertion of the cable ends into the gearbox at either end. I don't think the speedo end drive unit is strong enough to damage the cable.
DO check the drive unit at the front wheel. Disconnect the cable, elevate the front wheel and hold the output with a small flat blade screwdriver or needle pliers and rotate the wheel. You should be able to feel substantial resistance if the drive unit is functional. Connect the upper end to the speedo and spin the cable with an electric drill attached to the lower woven cable end...watch for the result. This little exercise will help you determine the functionality of both drive units. Would help you narrow down a problem if there is one....lower drive unit, upper drive unit (or speedo) or cable. I'm assuming your supplier provided you with the correct cable.

Top Bottom