SV1000S

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Does anyone here have or is very familiar with this bike? I have been toying with the idea of replacing my ST1300 with one of these if I get tired of the weight and bulkiness of my ST and wish to ride a few more years before I decide it's time to quit riding. I have only owned one chain driven bike, my 1976 RD400 2-stroke twin. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got my next bike, an GS850G Suzuki shaftie. I've never had a chain drive motorcycle since then, but I'm well aware that chains have improved leaps and bounds in the 35 years since I sold the RD. With the O-ring chains used now with almost no maintenance requirements beyond occasional cleaning up and some chain wax, I don't think chain final drive is an issue today, so that would be pretty much a non issue for me. I think I would miss the fairing pockets and saddle bags, but the latter could be readily resolved with soft luggage or GIVI hard bags, if there is such a thing. Since I left the RD behind, I have owned two in-line fours and two V4's, but never a V twin. However, a 90 degree 1000cc V twin that makes 108HP at the rear wheel and weighs more than 200 lbs less than the ST1300 kind of appeals to me. I am just looking for some input here, anyone?

Bike
VStrom 650
Can't help on that model but re. chains I wouldn't worry too much.
I recently owned and toured two up on a CBF1000 and didn't like the idea of adjusting the chain on the move and lubing etc.
Longest trip was 3500 miles from UK to Tuscany and back. The dry spray lube was clean and easy and probably not required, they're available in small sizes for touring; never adjusted it and it didn't need adjusting when I got back.
The V may be harder on the chain than the very smooth inline 4.
Hope it helps, and I didn't have an autolube fitted, them thing are so messy, but that's probably me.
Upt'North.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Don, same with me. I just sold my Gold Wing and hadn't had a chain bike since I can't even remember when. But I just got a Kawasaki Versys 750 LT and yes, it's got a chain. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and other than lubing the chain each night, I never had a problem. Once I got home I cleaned it really good with some kerosene, recommended, and relubed it. As for tightening it, not a big deal.

So I really wouldn't be concerned about a chain. The new ones are designed to last a long time.

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I sold my ST1300 and went with a Vstrom 650 and have been very happy. Losing 250 pounds was really nice and getting nearly 60mpg helps! Squirt some Teflon lube on the chain every tank of gas, which is very easy when on the center stand. Takes half a minute. Chain adjustment is rare and easy to do. New chain & sprockets every 30,000 miles or so. Thinking about the new Vstrom 1000 now. Take a few bikes for a demo ride. Don't limit your options just because of a chain. Good luck!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I don't have an SV1000 but I do run a VTR1000 Honda which is pretty similar. My ST1100 is the FIRST bike I've had without a chain drive! As stated, modern o-ring chains are pretty good, I would expect a realistic life of 20-30000km for a set (including new sprockets), but that will depend on maintenance and riding style.

A perky, relatively light 1000cc v-twin is a very different riding proposition compared to an ST. It certainly brings out the kid in me! It is also not a patch on the ST when it comes to comfort, and I suspect the SV will be the same with a more committed, wrist-heavy ride position and less leg room. I keep the VTR for 2-hour blasts on sunny days, and the ST for longer rambling jaunts.

IMG_3331 (2).jpg

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Never ridden the Versys that Gary just started riding, but the Wee I had would also be a good little Moto, for downsizing.
Several on here have downsized or have a Wee and a ST (maybe some will chime in).
Chains are much better than in the "old days", but still it's a chain. Some say no lubrication ever! Not sure I agree with that, it's metal to metal contact! I would lube mine about every 3-400 miles (unless traveling), tighten or check slack (after break-in) about every 1-1.5K
Good Luck!

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
A brand new Aprilia Tuono V4 is 1100cc, 175 hp, 500 lbs wet, chain drive.

If you're willing to consider older bikes, both the Buell Lightning CityX (984cc Harley engine, 74 hp) and Buell 1125R (1125cc Rotax engine, 130 hp) have belt drive and tip the scales around 500 lbs wet.

Older Aprilia Tuonos have a V-twin engine.

Have fun, whatever you choose!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Agree with Tim... chains are way better but they still need attention, everyday if you're touring.

That being said, the Kawasaki Versys 650LT would be (is) at the top of my list for a bike like that. Read some reviews and see what you think. I've read a couple dozen and everyone gave it rave reviews.

Attached is a summary I wrote of reviews that I've read about the 650LT.

Edit: I really shouldn't have re-read that... makes me want one all over again! ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
A good friend of mine had a I think 97 TL1000. That was the original TL1000. I rode it one time. I could not keep the front tire on the ground. I never asked or wanted to every ride that bike again. They changed the tuning on the next generation TL. He totaled that one and bought the next generation one. He kept it for years. A very good bike. Then he bought a DL100 as he was getting a little older. He kept it several years until he traded it in on a Ducati MultiStrada a few months ago. All were very reliable bikes. I'm sure the SV would be just as good of a bike. Nothing wrong with the DL1000 either.

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't have an SV1000 but I do run a VTR1000 Honda which is pretty similar. My ST1100 is the FIRST bike I've had without a chain drive! As stated, modern o-ring chains are pretty good, I would expect a realistic life of 20-30000km for a set (including new sprockets), but that will depend on maintenance and riding style.

A perky, relatively light 1000cc v-twin is a very different riding proposition compared to an ST. It certainly brings out the kid in me! It is also not a patch on the ST when it comes to comfort, and I suspect the SV will be the same with a more committed, wrist-heavy ride position and less leg room. I keep the VTR for 2-hour blasts on sunny days, and the ST for longer rambling jaunts.

IMG_3331 (2).jpg
Thanks for the reply. I think this would be a very good alternative to consider. If I get serious about downsizing, I will definitely include this one on my list. One thing that appeals to me is that it appears to have more weather protection than the SV1000 Suzy, but I would be interested to know a little bit about the ease of maintenance. as the SV appears to be very easy to perform regular maintenance on. The other obvious consideration (for me anyway), would be the purchase price for a well-maintained bike in good condition.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the reply. I think this would be a very good alternative to consider. If I get serious about downsizing, I will definitely include this one on my list. One thing that appeals to me is that it appears to have more weather protection than the SV1000 Suzy, but I would be interested to know a little bit about the ease of maintenance. as the SV appears to be very easy to perform regular maintenance on. The other obvious consideration (for me anyway), would be the purchase price for a well-maintained bike in good condition.
I suspect the SV and VTR will be very similar in most respects; the ride position is nearly identical, and I suspect the fairing will provide about the same protection. I have a double bubble screen on my bike and the wind protection is actually really good, smooth and no buffeting.

The SV has a long production history and the same basic motor is still in use in the VStrom. The Honda's motor was of a previous generation, carbs vs EFI, and definitely not the most refined engine. That said it has great low end and midrange power, very capable handling and quite good brakes. I updated the suspension on mine with a new shock and revalved forks, and swapped out the brakes for CBR954 parts up front, and it is a seriously good weapon for fast riding now.

The carbs can be ticklish and some have had problems with stalling and backfires, but my bike runs very sweetly so I haven't touched them aside from the usual cleaning of jets and bowls, plus a good synch. One Achilles heel of the VTR motor is the camchain tensioners, and these are know to fail without warning. On a 4 cylinder engine that is annoying, but on the v-twin it often results in the camchain jumping on the sprocket and valve-piston contact. Manual camchain tensioners get rid of that concern and are no big deal to install.

Just don't expect comfort! It is not bad in the big world of sportbikes, but is not as nice as my VFR800 with a locked-in seating position.

Last edited:

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday
I have a 2003 SV1000 (the unfaired brother to the SV1000S). Don't worry about the chain. Even with non-obsessive maintenance I have 22,000+ miles on mine. You will really like the reduced weight of the bike. After riding/moving my ST1300, moving/riding my SV1000 feels like I just hopped onto a bicycle. The SV1000 has a more "radical" riding position in that the bars are lower and the footpegs are higher. I don't really ride much more than 60 miles or so in one sitting on the SV1000 now (though back in 2008 I did a 750-mile day).

In short, the SV1000 is a much different bike than the ST1300. Not better, not worse, just different.

Best,
Lumpy

Top Bottom