ST1100 Monoshock thoughts?

Bike
ST1100W (1998)
Hey everyone.

So it seems my rear shock suddenly went soft yesterday while out riding. I believe it's the factory original and my dear old '98 ST11 has just cleared 61k miles. I've read plenty of articles suggesting anything over 50k on these shocks is an achievement in itself. If this is true, then I guess I can't complain. it's just annoying since i've already spent £££'s on major servicing and maintenance this month!

For those wondering about the diagnosis, my ride yesterday started fine. About 10 miles in, it felt like I was riding with a flat. Oddly enough, the handling seemed ok at higher speeds, but I was experiencing occasional and slight rear end wandering at low speeds along residential streets (although this could be partly due to bad road surfaces with a worn rear tyre which will soon need replacing), and I could feel every lump and bump in the road through the rear end, and the shock bottomed out at least twice. I pulled over, checked the tyres, both fine. When I got back on the bike, I noticed excessive sag in the rear as I sat down.

Trouble is, I can't afford to replace the shock until next week. This is a bummer since I really need to use the bike to get to and from work until then. :(

So this poses a few questions, as well as an opportunity for me to learn some new things (hopefully! :) )

1) Is the bike still relatively safe to use for my commute to work, as long as I take it steady? My curious but non-experienced mind is wondering if jacking up the monoshock preload all the way might, MIGHT help to take some of the strain for now. :confused:
2) I've found a genuine replacement stock shock for £259 from David Silver Spares. This seems VERY competitively priced for the stock part. Should I replace like for like, or go for an aftermarket shock?
3) If I should consider an aftermarket shock, can anyone make any recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jim

Bike
VStrom 650
Jim,
Do a visual and check if spring has broke or oil is everywhere, if not just take it easy, will be worth trying pre load and damping adjustment.
There will be different opinions but any shock that lasts 20 years is worth replacing like for like IMO.
You have probably got a blue spring and the replacement will probably have black, if so it is the ABS shock. No problems there but the damping adjustment is different, but it's all listed in the riders manual. I run an ABS shock on a 98 non ABS and the difference when first fitted was amazing. Like you say they go at about 50k normally, mine certainly did.
Hope it helps,
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Jim,
Whichever way you go, when you change it put a block of wood under the rear wheel to prevent it dropping and use new pins top and bottom too, they will be worn.
You will need a torque wrench for refitting.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My experience is that the ST1100 shock is usually pretty well shot at 50,000 miles and feels like a 'pogo' stick. ;-) I use Works Pro Racers on all of mine but I don't know if they are available on your side of the pond at a reasonable price. You can ride it as it's not going to come apart), but bumps and dips will give your heart pause to reflect ... :D

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
Thanks for the info guys! Time to invest in a decent quality tool kit too i think lol.

I'll check out availability of the Works Pro Racers too, Uncle Phil!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the info guys! Time to invest in a decent quality tool kit too i think lol.

I'll check out availability of the Works Pro Racers too, Uncle Phil!
I like them because they work well and are 'rebuildable' at a reasonable price. IIRC, Wilbers may be a good choice on your side of the pond if Works is not.

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
I like them because they work well and are 'rebuildable' at a reasonable price. IIRC, Wilbers may be a good choice on your side of the pond if Works is not.
Wilbers are definitely an option. They stock about 5 different types for the Pan. I do like the idea of rebuildables. YSS seems to be a pretty big name over here too, but I don't know anyone who's had any experience with them.

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
Jim,
Do a visual and check if spring has broke or oil is everywhere, if not just take it easy, will be worth trying pre load and damping adjustment.
There will be different opinions but any shock that lasts 20 years is worth replacing like for like IMO.
You have probably got a blue spring and the replacement will probably have black, if so it is the ABS shock. No problems there but the damping adjustment is different, but it's all listed in the riders manual. I run an ABS shock on a 98 non ABS and the difference when first fitted was amazing. Like you say they go at about 50k normally, mine certainly did.
Hope it helps,
Upt'North.
I've just done the visuals. I removed the side panel for better access. Visually, the shock appears fine. Spring is intact, and there's no sign of fluid anywhere. Increasing the damping force hasn't improved anything, and i've been unsuccessful in adjusting the preload. I don't have the relevant adjustment tool (bike came without tools) and don't have the leverage space to put my hefty water pump pliers on it to crank it up. I guess i'll have to leave her parked up until next week :(

Incidentally, she's the non-ABS model, but the spring appears to be black, and not blue. Does that suggest it's already been changed at some point? The previous owner ALWAYS rode two-up and fully loaded. He had the bike about 5 years. When I took ownership, the shock was set to maximum preload and maximum damping force, both of which I had to have readjusted to suit my needs.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
My OEM shock had about 90,000km when I replaced it and it was worn out. I'm happy with the Progressive unit I put on.

One note is that when removing the OEM shock I found the lower pin loose and backed out by about two threads. Pretty scary to think about what might had happened if it had worked its way completely out...........

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
My OEM shock had about 90,000km when I replaced it and it was worn out. I'm happy with the Progressive unit I put on.

One note is that when removing the OEM shock I found the lower pin loose and backed out by about two threads. Pretty scary to think about what might had happened if it had worked its way completely out...........
Jeez! You were fortunate to find that early enough! Pins on mine seem pretty solid. Just a case of deciding which shocker to opt for. At least it looks like replacing it will be a quick and easy job. Here's hoping! :rolleyes:

Are there any shocks that make for a lower ride? Mine will need replacing soon and i'd like to lower the ride height a little- already have a lowered seat.

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
Are there any shocks that make for a lower ride? Mine will need replacing soon and i'd like to lower the ride height a little- already have a lowered seat.
Hagon seem to offer a taylor made service, just as many other manufacturers do. I was considering a slightly lower ride height too, and might explore that option when i contact them next week. There's a contact form on their website you can use to give them your personal requirements, and they will offer you a solution.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
STOC #
+1 on the Works Performance units. I had one built for me and have absolutely loved it. I called with my weight and load and it has really worked out. (If it is available your direction)

OP
OP
HampshireBiker
Bike
ST1100W (1998)
+1 on the Works Performance units. I had one built for me and have absolutely loved it. I called with my weight and load and it has really worked out. (If it is available your direction)
I did have a look at Works when the Pro Racer was suggested. I think I'm out of luck over here. I have found other options for tailored shocks over here though, so I'll be checking them out next week. Thanks for the info! :)

Top Bottom