This isn't what I imagined.

Bike
2007 ST1300
View attachment 185310
The photo from my phone shows tiny on the preview. The main point is that my 2007 ST1300 turned over 20,000 miles on my way home yesterday. When I bought it used about 4 years ago, I imagined Four Corners, IBRs, and such. The actual life is as a quiet commuter.

Noelmiles.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

greg_in_npvl

V65 Rider
Bike
2003 ST1300/ST1300A
Don't feel bad Noel. I lot of my miles are from commuting as well. This is why sometimes on my days off I'll ride to Iowa just to have lunch [emoji488] [emoji489]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I did the same thing with my GL1000's. Much more commuting than the touring I had planned....work was in the way. I rode one daily for the nine years I had them (three 1978 models) except in ice or when I knew a storm was coming. No need to feel bad about it, you are adequately armed for whatever you have time and motivation for with the ST.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The photo from my phone shows tiny on the preview.
If you haven't discovered it already when you click on the pic you get a pop-up that shows your dash quite well. Click again on the pop-up.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Don't feel bad Noel. I lot of my miles are from commuting as well. This is why sometimes on my days off I'll ride to Iowa just to have lunch [emoji488] [emoji489]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
In a few years I'll be retired too. Let me know if you want a wing man.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Turn opportunities into road trips. If I need to travel to another state for work I take my bike. My daughter just got married in Texas so I made it a road trip. I ride my bike to work as much as possible. If I only road it on my days off when the weather is nice it would sit most of the time.

Bike
07 ST1300
My 2007 only has about 15000 miles.
Commuting is my biking life. This is NOT what I had in mind but it is what it is.
My wife to be is a sailor, as am I, but I want to be a biker. Been riding about 49 years now and the dream of touring is still alive! I am armed and ready!

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My 2007 only has about 15000 miles.
Commuting is my biking life. This is NOT what I had in mind but it is what it is.
My wife to be is a sailor, as am I, but I want to be a biker. Been riding about 49 years now and the dream of touring is still alive! I am armed and ready!
I commute and tour, love sailing but haven't done it much in the last two years. Love shooting too. Don't give up hope just go do it Jim!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I bought my ST1300 with the same impression: I was going to go everywhere.

But I didn't.

Then, my wife told me she'd been sleeping with her ex-boyfriend for the entire duration of our marriage. I was 37 and suddenly free. My ST1300 was 4 years old, and only had 6000 miles on it.

In the next 4 years, the odometer went from 6,000 to 55,000. I rode rallies, I did two Iron Butt certifications, I nailed every state west of the Mississippi and a few on the right side of it too. I used it to haul lumber and groceries. I went to Canada, around the Great Lakes... The ST1300 was there for me when I needed it the most. It saved my sanity and brought me to new places.

By 2010, I met Keri, and the ST1300 had become a solid commuter again.

It's not that you're not putting on the miles like a mad man that matters. It's that you CAN put on the miles like a mad man. The ST1300 is such an amazing platform to get you anywhere you want. When you have the time and motivation, it'll go. :headbang:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ninety-nine degrees -- it is hot there.
I noticed that, too. That right there is reason enough for me not to venture very far from the home base. My riding days will most likely be quite limited during the next 60 days or so. By October it will probably be cooled down enough to enjoy riding again.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I noticed that, too. That right there is reason enough for me not to venture very far from the home base. My riding days will most likely be quite limited during the next 60 days or so. By October it will probably be cooled down enough to enjoy riding again.
Nice! My 2006 has 28000 kms but of course my riding season is so short. Just noticing the temp gauge because of a recent deal with mine. 2 bars only because it was just warming up or normal for you? Solid 3 bars in that heat or the t-stat is an issue.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Turn opportunities into road trips. If I need to travel to another state for work I take my bike. My daughter just got married in Texas so I made it a road trip. I ride my bike to work as much as possible. If I only road it on my days off when the weather is nice it would sit most of the time.
That looks like quite a road trip. did you take the short way on I-90W? I don't know what part of Texas you went to, but any place south of the panhandle and you most likely went through Texarkana. I wouldn't mind a trip similar to that, as I've never yet been to the Northeastern US.
The longest road trip I've been on probably wasn't much further in total round-trip distance than yours was one way to your destination. I rode from Houston to Albuquerque to the annual International Balloon Fiesta six years ago. It's held during the first full week of October, including two weekends (10 days total). I think my total mileage for that trip was 2000 mi +/- a few miles.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Nice! My 2006 has 28000 kms but of course my riding season is so short. Just noticing the temp gauge because of a recent deal with mine. 2 bars only because it was just warming up or normal for you? Solid 3 bars in that heat or the t-stat is an issue.
I strongly suspect that it was only showing 2 bars on the coolant temp indicator simply because it was just warming up. I think it would warm up to 3 bars even if the stat was stuck open, with ambient temps at 90+. Someone here will probably correct me if that is a false assumption.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I strongly suspect that it was only showing 2 bars on the coolant temp indicator simply because it was just warming up. I think it would warm up to 3 bars even if the stat was stuck open, with ambient temps at 90+. Someone here will probably correct me if that is a false assumption.
Yes that makes sense until riding, when even then in that heat...wow. Most likely you nailed it Don.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
View attachment 185310
The photo from my phone shows tiny on the preview. The main point is that my 2007 ST1300 turned over 20,000 miles on my way home yesterday. When I bought it used about 4 years ago, I imagined Four Corners, IBRs, and such. The actual life is as a quiet commuter.

Noelmiles.jpg

I still work a full time job with limited vacation but I manage to get a few rides in -

http://www.unclephil.us/TheTrips.htm

You just have to plan and save your money and be willing to do some long days in the saddle - which the ST is made for. :D
For example, I started planning my New Zealand trip in 2009 and was not able to make it until 2014. But I had a goal and time and money finally came together.
Always remember - He who aims at nothing usually hits it. ;-)

Bike
2010 ST-1300
That looks like quite a road trip. did you take the short way on [URL="https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Schroon+Lake,+NY+12870/Houston,+TX/@36.4758629,

I went to Anna TX north of Dallas. On the way to TX I traveled from NY-PA-OH-KY-TN-ARK-TX. Way back TX-OK-MO-IL-IND-OH-PA-NY. Both were within 100miles of being the same distance @1660 miles. Three days to get to TX and two to get home. I went through Texarkana on the way there and Texomo on the way home. Was a nice trip.

Top Bottom