New issue, possibly carb related

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
I was 3/4 the way through a 900 mile ride today and my bike just cut out on me. It wasn't a stall per se as much as it was a loss of power until it stalled. It sat for a bit and started with the choke and seemed to run fine after I flipped the choke off, but about 6 or so miles later it did the same thing. I let it set for about 10 minutes and started and ran it to the next town with the choke on. I was low on fuel, but nowhere close to out, so I went ahead and filled it up.
When I went to move it to a parking g spot so I can come back and get it, again with the choke on, it seemed to run fine. When I got to the place I flipped the choke off and let it run for a while and again it seemed ok.
It's a 97 with just over 108k. The fuel line diaphragm thingy was changed out a couple of years ago. And the T-shirt belt and wp last year.
I've been thinking the carbs may need some work as it sat for a while before I bought it, but I've put close to 50k on it since buying.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Disclaimer, I have an injected 1300 and don't really know 1100's, so this is going to be a guess. Since the bike ran ok with the choke on, it must be running very lean with the choke off. Sounds like a bit of dirt hit the carb(s) or maybe a vent line to the carbs is clogged?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds like fuel starvation, since it runs better with choke. Wouldn't think it's the carbs, since you've been running lots since buying it. So, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or bad fuel diaphragm, if "changed out" means replaced or repaired.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
More than likely a fuel delivery issue; fuel filter, vacuum cut-off, or fuel pump. My bet is the pump overheated since you were low on fuel running highway speeds in hot weather, since the pump relies on the fuel for cooling.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fuel 'cools' the pump and if it was hot and low on fuel, the pump was probably hot. When a fuel pump starts to go out, it will quit, then when it cools off, will work fine. And it may work fine for quite a while. My money is on the fuel pump or maybe the relay. If it does it again, pull the line and see if it's pumping.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It could also be the gas cap, not venting properly or not holding pressure in the tank. When you undo the cap, do you hear a whoosh of air? If it does whoosh out then move onto something else, l think Uncle Phil may have pegged it.

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I'm home safe. I have to go get the bike tomorrow - it's about 3 1/2 hours away.
The fuel diaphragm was changed a couple of years ago and it was toast. Also, it wouldn't run at all when it went out.
I'm going to partially rule out the filter as it is actually running fine without the choke when I left it last night (kind of ticked me off actually). I also changed the filter when I changed the diaphragm.

So my question, is my pump bad or did it just overheat? And how can I tell if it can't really be reproduced (which I am assuming if it just got hot I can't do unless in a similar situation)?

It was 95+ yesterday and when it went out probably closer to 98. When I put gas in I put in 5.8 gallons, but it was on the side stand so maybe a couple of tenths more. Also, my gas mileage from the Houston area to Branson to Springfield, Mo. was 46/47 (80 to 90 +/-) through most of that (a week or so ago). I went across to Baxter Springs, Ka. down through Oklahoma to Henderson, Tx and it went from that 47 to finish the tank yesterday morning to 45 and finally 43 at Henderson (temps went up yesterday and were at about 98 +/- when I had the issues). The mpgs went down pretty considerably even though the road conditions were very similar (as a sign on Hwy 7 in Ar. read - Steep and Crooked :) )

Probably have too much info here, but am looking for the issue! Do I replace the pump? Or did I just overheat it and it is fine (just can't ride for hours in 98 degree heat with less than a half a tank)? Is there any real way to tell without doing it all again?

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fuel pump failures are a royal pain -

http://www.unclephil.us/West2009Day06.htm

http://www.unclephil.us/West2009Day07.htm

Mine quit unexpectedly several times before I replaced it. If you can replicate the problem, pull the hose and see if there is any fuel coming out. Once they start to fail, it is just a matter of time before they quit. Soon it becomes no rhyme or reason why they do it. After I replaced the one on that bike, I've had no more problems out of it or my other ST1100s. But I now carry a external fuel pump wired and hosed in a bag, ready to use whenever I take a trip just for insurance. The thought of one dying out in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada in the heat is not a pleasant thought! :D My personal thoughts on the reason is the ethanol fuel we use now - but that's just my uneducated feeling. ;-)

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
What you described sounds exactly like what happened to me yesterday. Not quite as hot for me, but the symptoms were the same.
I guess I'll trailer it home and get a fuel pump! Any suggestions for best price? A quick search showed about $350 +/-!

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
There are aftermarket pumps you can buy on ebay, I bought one for under $50. Do a search on this site for ST1100 fuel pumps or on the web and you will find the links. In the Archives of Wisdom on another site there is a how to on using a generic pump and how to install it. You can also do as Uncle Phil says an external or do an internal..
The pump also relys on the fuel in the tank to keep it cool, so if you have a habit of always running to near empty before filling that can also be hard on the pump as it is no longer being cooled by the fuel. Pressure in the tank, if it's not there can make the pump overheat as it has to work harder, hence my question about the fuel cap.

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I still get a solid whoosh when I open the cap. Sorry I neglected to answer that one!

So something like this will work then (among others that are actually cheaper - just the first one I saw)?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ST1100-GL1500-Goldwing-Fuel-Pump-Hose-Strainer-1988-2003-16700-MT3-010-/160665773988?hash=item25686d27a4:g:WDcAAOSwB-1YrRCd&vxp=mtr

And is the hook-up basically the same and the OEM pump?
Yes I believe that's the same one I bought. I haven't used mine, I just carry it around just in case. My issue was the cap. It's been awhile since I looked at the install instructions, but if I recall you just hook it up to the wiring from the OEM pump. Leave enough wire on the old pump in the event you want to put it back in and use an external pump. From what I recall the flow is rather similar to the OEM.

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
The GL1500 and the ST1100 shared a lot of parts so I would think that it would work. External pumps will pull the fuel through the original pump if it is not working.
Are they the same pump or just similar?

Here's a link for an external fuel pump
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=11581.msg105597#new
if you want to repair the pump
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7954.0
And here's how o with the one you found on ebay
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7042.0

cheers
Robert
And Thanks! That went a long way to answer some questions!

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Different part numbers for 1997 -

GL1500 - 16700-MAF-000
ST1100 - 16700-MT3-010

Since this 'part' includes more than the pump, don't know if the pump is exactly the same or not. Hard to tell from the fiche, so you would have have the pump specs to be sure. My hunch is that just the pump is the same. But if the EBay is an 'external' pump, it's not like the OEM anyway. The real deal is the amount of pressure - too much floods the carbs, too little starves them - and I think the pressure number is 1-2 PSI, IIRC but it maybe 3-4 PSI. :D

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was told by a friend who knows these bikes to not allow fuel gauge to get below 1/4.
Not a problem on ST1100s unless your fuel pump is failing. The pumps fail for various reasons which have little to do with fuel level. I've got three and only had a fuel pump problem on one of them. When the reserve light comes on, you usually have 1 gallon left. ;-)

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Well, trailered it home yesterday! It started and ran fine before and after the journey. Took it for a short ride when I git home and everything was fine.
I took it for a bit longer of a ride today with some spirited sections in it. Climbed to stupid fast about 4 or 5 times just fine - no spits or sputters, or anything. Ran really good actually - hadn't done that in a while :)
I'll rule out the fuel filter and the diaphragm, and pretty much say it was the pump. I'll order another and get it ready, but something tells me if I keep the tank above 1/4 I should be fine for a while! Something to do before the next long(er) distance (hot weather) ride!
Thanks Guys!

Top Bottom