Clutch lifter bolts

Hi guys...

Brand new here and really need some help please....

1993 pan European st1100.

Clutch fitting...

I've replaced the plates... and come to tighten the spring lifter bolts down. Now all the tech docs say is 9 ft/lbs. However... I can reach that just after finger tight.

Without thread lock this seems too loose. And if I tighten any further the clutch obv won't disengage....

I had some one say they tighten finger tight. The just 1/4 turn on each bolt... but the bolts would only be in by 5mm of their thread?!?!

Please can some all knowing guru help me out so I can live free. Panning the open roads.....

Bike
VStrom 650
Woody there is a thread on here that states 9ftlb is right. Apparently any more and the blummin things break off in the housing. Hope this info isn't too late.
I can't link it to this but search on clutch lifter plate torque.
I have no personal experience of ripping the clutch down Yet!
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Yup. But they reach 9 ft/lbs within half a turn after finger tight... just seems a bit loose without thread lock...

Bike
VStrom 650
I agree Woody 9 ftlbs is not much but the warnings are clear anymore and they break.
I'm sure someone who has changed the clutch will chime in soon.
Someone does mention loctite on that link. But no mention in manual.
I'll check my Haynes.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
The Haynes just says to tighten in a criss cross pattern, but no torque and no mention of loctite. So I would probably steer clear of that.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
OK... sussed it... the springs were weak. New springs and tightened down to 12Nm. And it's running fine.

Top Bottom