Where Are All The Motorycles?

Bike
R1200rt
Like it or not, rallies are suffering from fewer riders attending. The Moto Guzzi rallies I go to have all experienced a decline in the last few years. We (as a group) tend to be getting older (those that are not tend to not travel at all) and that might be some of it. In any case, at least a couple of rallies in this area might shut down in the next year or two for lack of riders. As an example, a rally in New Cumberland WVa must have had upwards of 300 bikes in the late 90's. This year I counted 25 with a max maybe of 40 for the whole weekend (I left on Sat). Yet, the BMW national rallies draw around 5000 (MOA) and 800 (RA). The riders are out there - maybe fewer, but still out there.
This is how the dinosaurs must have felt!!:cool:

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
This was a Goldwing Forum gathering in W.Va. two weeks ago. (not a large forum, less than 1k members) Saw plenty of bikes going to, and on the way home. Also saw several adventure bikes and riders on the mountain roads around the campground. Might just be the area you're traveling through ?

Attachments

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I know many of us are in the "sandwich years"; we're sandwiched between helping kids and our aging parents. My kids are grown but my Mom is 86 and lives in India. I'm using all of my leave/vacation time spending time in India with her which equals to less time on the road for long excursions. My riding is limited to commuting and long weekend jaunts. I have younger friends who still have kids at home and aging parents out of state in the same situation. Life happens and one has to take care of what is important.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Another aspect to look at is the use of motorcycles. I very rarely have mine out on the weekends. It is mostly used for my 20 mile round trip commute. I pass 2-4 bikes every day on that 20 mile ride. Unless there is an RTE or the wife and I decide to ride to the local ice cream shop you will not see it on the weekend.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Around this area, the temps have been beastly hot for ATTGAT riding. I do take my wife into work on the Helix ( Honda scooter), but riding much later than that is pretty uncomfortable, especially on the big, hot ST, or in heavy traffic. I see a few bikes out here, but mostly the non-ATTGAT types. I did a short early ride into the mountains a few weeks back, and it was really nice, but generally it is just TOO darn hot.

Bike
'08 ST1300
8/4 -- 8/13/17, sturgis rally; no thanks.
8/29, I think runs for 5 days, Wing Ding, (Goldwing rally), Grapevine, TX (Ft Worth)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
... all the motorcycles (and many cars) are in the Colorado mountains. :\
I sure wish one of my three motorcycles was one of them! The last two summers I was there in August. Just what the doctor ordered to cure me from this heat here.
Temps are going to be well below normal for the next several days. Time to unplug the battery tender and head to Arkansas as soon as I get off work Thursday morning.

Top Bottom