Where Are All The Motorycles?

Just got back from a trip from Upstate NY to Philly and back to visit some friends. Traffic was HEAVY all the way even though I traveled on weekdays and avoided rush hour traffic passing NYC. But something was wrong even though I couldnt put my finger on it a first. Then it hit me. No motorcycles! In summer in the past there were swarms of them! I saw maybe half a dozen lone wolfs like myself and only one gaggle of maybe a dozen Harleys. Ive been driving that route (87 south to 17 south to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike) for decades and I can tell you when the economy is dragging traffic in general is light but when its booming traffic is heavy, like it was on this trip.

But very few motorcycles.:confused:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Don't know the issue over there. However we've been busy thinking about building an Ark over here. The rain here has been significant almost 4 days out of 7 every week! Pontoon options may have a market here.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've found myself wondering the same thing on some trips. I remember going to Florida once in October. Temperatures were perfect for riding, and I only saw one motorcycle all week. Not even a bicycle.

For myself, I was on the Great River Road (SR35 in Wisconsin) this weekend and saw the most amazing assortment of motorcycles I've seen in years. Mostly cruisers to be sure, but so many beautiful bikes to gawk at. I even saw my beloved 2007 Honda VFR parked at a coffee shop (man, I miss that motorcycle). :(

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Hot humid conditions ... the smart riders are in the mountains riding under the trees. Avoid interstates at all cost when it is hot.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't know the issue over there. However we've been busy thinking about building an Ark over here. The rain here has been significant almost 4 days out of 7 every week! Pontoon options may have a market here.
Consider a Bimini top for your bike when you get the pontoons.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just driven ( yes I know but it was only 52 and blummin raining ) up the A1 north in Northumberland, seen bikes from France, Germany and Holland ( the Dutch get everywhere ) all heading up to Scotland, all packed for tours.
They didn't seem too bothered by the weather.
Upt'North.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Doug, I remember my last 3 Air Force years , 83-86, before I retired we were at Wright-Patt and one of those summers it rained 10 weekends in a row. YIKES! Couldn't do much :-(

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
I think it's a reflection of the whole industry being down. there was an article about HD being way down but it affects the whole industry.

but I still haven't figured out why current owners are not riding as much.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Retirement homes.... just saying... It may be 20 years before any surge in motorcycling occurs again.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
When driving back from Texas to NY I didn't see many motorcycles until I entered Pa then NY. You don't see many motorcycles on 87 most are on the secondary roads or parked at the local watering hole 8>(

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
When I was in my teens and my twentys motorcycles were very popular with young men so they were everywhere. Now that feminism has ruled for past 20-30 years the young sons of those "mothers" have been programed to have other interest and hobbies like doing what I have no friggin idea.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I think for a while they were hunting fantasy characters with their smartphones and pretending to be a new version of the "GREAT OUTDOORSMAN"

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Just driven ( yes I know but it was only 52 and blummin raining ) up the A1 north in Northumberland, seen bikes from France, Germany and Holland ( the Dutch get everywhere ) all heading up to Scotland, all packed for tours.
They didn't seem too bothered by the weather.
Upt'North.
Their much tougher than we are here!!!! We're only tough when its game time and reputation is on the line!!! LOL

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Since you're not allowed to filter/lane-split (with the exception of California of course), why bother being out in the heat/wet stuck in traffic with morons staring down at their phones while 'driving' their SUVs.

(never got why not having to wear a helmet is freedom, but lane-splitting is dangerous and therefore illegal - despite the evidence that says otherwise)

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I just rode from the Puget Sound area to Vancouver, WA on I-5 on Sunday and there were lots of motorcyclists in both directions; in groups and solo. To be fair, the weather has been fantastic since the last week of June. After nine months of continuous rain this past year we've earned it.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Most riders are fair weather riders like my wife. It must be between 77 and 78 degrees. I rode 200 miles last weekend with all the gear on and had a great ride at a chilly 100.

Bike
R1200rt
Motorcycle touring is down with out a doubt. 30 years ago ( its really a lot more) I remember on my first trip to Colorado, I saw a lot more bike on the road. At the campgrounds there were always other bikers to talk and share stories with. Not so the last 2 years in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah just a small number of bikes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like it or not, rallies are suffering from fewer riders attending. The Moto Guzzi rallies I go to have all experienced a decline in the last few years. We (as a group) tend to be getting older (those that are not tend to not travel at all) and that might be some of it. In any case, at least a couple of rallies in this area might shut down in the next year or two for lack of riders. As an example, a rally in New Cumberland WVa must have had upwards of 300 bikes in the late 90's. This year I counted 25 with a max maybe of 40 for the whole weekend (I left on Sat). Yet, the BMW national rallies draw around 5000 (MOA) and 800 (RA). The riders are out there - maybe fewer, but still out there.

Top Bottom