St whispered review

Bike
05" ST
So I've neglected my trusty steed for the last 40k miles. Larry (igofar) reached out to me on the forum here after I posted a question and offered his services which I took him up on, he is only about an hour from me. My experience was a good one. I now have no trust for any dealership what so ever. Even one's that I had gained trust in over the years. It was apparent that in the case of my brake system that was never right to begin with that it was never serviced properly.
What to expect.
Larry is very thorough, and loves to talk, so, be prepared to spend the day when you visit.
You will be going through most of the bike, finding things unexpected to you along the way.
Pay attention and listen and you will come away with valuable information on your machine.

If you plan to keep your ST for a long time, even if you don't think there are any problems, if you want to learn how to service things on your bike that you don't feel you're capable of, if you're in the sf bay area or even further out I would recommend a visit to the st whispered. You won't be sorry! Thanks Larry!

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I've neglected my trusty steed for the last 40k miles. Larry (igofar) reached out to me on the forum here after I posted a question and offered his services which I took him up on, he is only about an hour from me. My experience was a good one. I now have no trust for any dealership what so ever. Even one's that I had gained trust in over the years. It was apparent that in the case of my brake system that was never right to begin with that it was never serviced properly.
What to expect.
Larry is very thorough, and loves to talk, so, be prepared to spend the day when you visit.
You will be going through most of the bike, finding things unexpected to you along the way.
Pay attention and listen and you will come away with valuable information on your machine.
Larry is a little vague at first on his pricing. It's less than the dealer plus you're being taught to do the work at the same time.
If you plan to keep your ST for a long time, even if you don't think there are any problems, if you want to learn how to service things on your bike that you don't feel you're capable of, if you're in the sf bay area or even further out I would recommend a visit to the st whispered. You won't be sorry! Thanks Larry!
I was under the impression he ran his home-based business for free. What are the rates like compared to other shops in the San Jose, CA area?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Enjoy having the convenience of a "whisperer" in your area. Ours (Wayne Crocker) past away last summer in a tragic motorcycle accident and he was super duper awesome and sounds just like Larry.
I just paid off the mortgage on my beautiful home and hope to semi retire from the aviation maintenance business next year. I plan to open a small motorcycle shop on my rural property in central Louisiana and maybe become the new "whisperer" in my area.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for what you do Larry. I have been in your garage many times and watched you work on folks bikes who were in real trouble. If I had a dollar for every person who has come in there and received help without contributing to the tip jar, I would probably have as much money as he makes from the help he gives. I've seen numerous time that someone comes there for help and doesn't even give bim money for parts.
Is he a business? If he was, he would be out of business.
Give credit where credit is due and do your part in rewarding his faithful help by throwing a few bucks in the tip jar. I don't think that's a business model. Just my input.

Bike
07 ST1300
Thankfully there are people in the world that enjoy helping others.
Larry you selfish Bastage!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I was under the impression he ran his home-based business for free. What are the rates like compared to other shops in the San Jose, CA area?
In spite of what ST-RAY mentioned in the thread... Larry does not officially charge any specific amount for anything. Like he said, he expects folks to replace or refund for parts he has purchased out of his pocket to fix "their" bikes. It would be extremely rude to expect him to keep shelling out money for parts and supplies (consumables) for FREE! It would be equally rude to not "tip" him for what he has done to help you and teach you. You would expect to tip a waiter or waitress for "taking your order" and "fetching your food" and keeping your drink glass full.... why would you not expect to show similar gratitude to someone willing to spend many hours or entire day assisting you and teaching you about your bike and in the process, getting it back to you at a drastically lower cost and in MUCH better shape than said dealers (stealers) in the San Jose, CA area.

Larry goes far and above anyone else that I know of. Yes there are others who do help many on the forum, but I know of no one who goes as far on a consistent basis to help others! Please show kindness where kindness is due...

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Call it a RAN list, whisperer or just all around great folk on this forum - each of you that help me, "thank you" and any I have assisted or rescued "your welcome". I don't have the tools or knowledge he has and not once have I ever been asked for money. Any man that is willing to take the members under wing and assist is alright in my book. Hopefully all of us can depend on each other in some form where we can, no matter how meager or grand. If I pay it forward with a donation, replacement or spare parts - his garage is a mecca for ST's - I hope it continues, I appreciate the resource, but it is no business. I hope to have a garage like that in the future - hope to see many members when that happens.

Top Bottom