Snapped off rear ABS Sensor - safe to ride?

I've just noticed that what appears to be the rear abs sensor has snapped off - photo attached. I think I did the damage trying to dislodge a stuck anti-theft chain recently.

I noticed the red ABS light constantly on while riding last week, but thought it was just a faulty sensor. Now, when preparing the bike for a week-long trip starting tomorrow, I took the side cases off, and noticed the sensor has snapped off.

Is it safe to ride for the time being? I'm not too bothered about not having ABS, but would be worried about the brakes seizing if the ABS malfunctions.

I've been looking forward to this trip for a while, but better safe than sorry.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ABS system tests itself with a self diagnostic test up to 4 - 6 mph. If it fails the test the brakes still function just like any non-ABS ST1300.

With a clean fracture like that I'd try to JB Weld the sensor back in place. At the least secure the sensor so it won't flail around.

Hmmm doest look like it would be hard to fix just r and r the rear wheel and get a new sensor mount part, or repair the mount if possible. You have ABS and it might come in handy on that trip.

Of course...if the problem came up during a trip I would just keep going until I got home. I wouldnt be flatbedding the bike to the nearest dealer or wasting my vacation doing repairs.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The mounts are molded to the rear end. If the JB Weld will hold, go for it!

If you decide that you need a replacement rear-end, contact me after your trip. I have one laying around.

Enjoy your trip! :clap2:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

If you decide that you need a replacement rear-end, contact me after your trip. I have one laying around.

might be expensive getting to France.

Bike
2010 ST1300

Final drives are available on eBay for very reasonable prices. He might be able to find one on that side of the pond cheaper than shipping one from Calif. And, it might be faster, too.

OP
OP
Thanks very much for your advice. I'm going to give it a go - hopefully the weather will stay dry, and I'll be taking it easy on the back roads.

Would be fun to pick up the part in sunny California, but I'll give the JB Weld a go first. I talked to the local Honda dealer just now and he quoted me €490 to replace the part. That's roughly $570....

Top Bottom