Just bought a new Lift

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Maybe should have ordered the optional wheels after all. :) Good luck getting it installed in your shed. I'm green with envy.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have a bad case of LE (Lift Envy) after seeing this. A bit rich though in terms of cost. I've looked at the HF lift and while the cost is reasonable it really seems pretty lightweight for an ST.

I'm finding that the up and down from the floor when servicing brakes or some other similar low work is killing my knees. I'm looking at building a 12" or so high platform that can double as a large work table or run off table for the table saw when not in use for bike work. This would mean I could sit on a low stool and this makes getting up a lot easier. If someone could point to a URL where someone has posted a home built lift that would be good :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a bad case of LE (Lift Envy) after seeing this. A bit rich though in terms of cost.
I have one of these- 1,000 lb Hydraulic/Pneumatic Motorcycle Lift. I have an older version that does not have the pneumatic assist. It works perfectly fine for the occasional user who is only doing their owny maintenance and not running a shop. I have no problem with stability when the ST1300 is on it and elevated. Watch the website for a sale and it is a good deal.

They also have another model- 1,000 lb Hydraulic/Pneumatic Motorcycle Lift. I don't know about this one- the very narrow stance seems concerning to me.

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The lift came yesterday afternoon. Brett called me around 3pm and said it was there. So I had to leave work early, get home, attach the trailer to the Highlander and get to Brett's office asap!

KL-lift4.jpeg KL-lift5.jpeg

Now I have to figure out how to get it in the shed in the back yard! :eek:4:
Get yourself some 3" PVC pipe cut to length and put 3 under it and a 4th or 5th ready. Have 2nd or third person place pipe as needed while you roll it. Just one way to move heavy things

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to get my lift into my shed yesterday. What a feat of engineering on my part! First I had to figure how to get the lift out of my trailer and move it the 60 feet to my shed. After getting my double gate open, I started pushing the trailer back as far as it would go. And I kept pushing and pushing and before I knew it, I was at the shed! :D

new-Lift-pm-4-s.jpg

Because the one end has three doors that open up, I was able to push the trailer into the shed.

I placed a 8x4 sheet of 1" particle board down on the shed floor with some vinyl sheeting (I've had for years) covering the particle board. I tipped the trailer up to carefully "dump" the lift out.

new-Lift-pm-7-s.jpg

Of course, I didn't know what way the lift was in my trailer until I took the packing off. It was in backwards from what I needed. The ramp side was towards the backwall of the shed. So now I had to figure out a way to turn it 180 degrees.

new-Lift-pm-8-s.jpg

I was able to do that with a furniture dolly and spin it in place on the particle board. Then carefully pull the dolly out from under it. (you can see my helper in this picture)

View attachment 185543

One thing I have to be careful about is, I can't put it up all the way!

View attachment 185544 Which is pretty high to be working on it anyway.

NOW, I can get to that maintenance I've been needing to do!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I was able to get my lift into my shed yesterday. What a feat of engineering on my part! First I had to figure how to get the lift out of my trailer and move it the 60 feet to my shed. After getting my double gate open, I started pushing the trailer back as far as it would go. And I kept pushing and pushing and before I knew it, I was at the shed! :D

new-Lift-pm-4-s.jpg

Because the one end has three doors that open up, I was able to push the trailer into the shed.

I placed a 8x4 sheet of 1" particle board down on the shed floor with some vinyl sheeting (I've had for years) covering the particle board. I tipped the trailer up to carefully "dump" the lift out.

new-Lift-pm-7-s.jpg

Of course, I didn't know what way the lift was in my trailer until I took the packing off. It was in backwards from what I needed. The ramp side was towards the backwall of the shed. So now I had to figure out a way to turn it 180 degrees.

new-Lift-pm-8-s.jpg

I was able to do that with a furniture dolly and spin it in place on the particle board. Then carefully pull the dolly out from under it. (you can see my helper in this picture)

View attachment 185543

One thing I have to be careful about is, I can't put it up all the way!

View attachment 185544 Which is pretty high to be working on it anyway.

NOW, I can get to that maintenance I've been needing to do!
Looking good, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's great using it yesterday!

I was able to flush out the clutch yesterday on the 2012 (just did this job without a lift on the 2004#2 a month ago). I started on the brakes, using a different bottle of brake fluid, but after doing the front brakes, I decided I needed to go buy a new bottle of brake fluid and re-do the fronts.

Sure was nice not to have to bend down on the ground bleeding these things! :hat3:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
It's great using it yesterday!

I was able to flush out the clutch yesterday on the 2012 (just did this job without a lift on the 2004#2 a month ago). I started on the brakes, using a different bottle of brake fluid, but after doing the front brakes, I decided I needed to go buy a new bottle of brake fluid and re-do the fronts.

Sure was nice not to have to bend down on the ground bleeding these things! :hat3:
Yes having a lift is a great tool for your shop and bike maint. whether it is a HF or another brand. Also a tire changing machine is also good to have. Regardless of how basic or fancy it is.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes having a lift is a great tool for your shop and bike maint. weather it is a HF or another brand. Also a tire changing machine is also good to have. Regardless of how basic or fancy it is.
Yeah, I need to go pick up my tire changer from my son. I have a front tire on the 2012 and two trailer tires to change out before heading to WeSTOC!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes having a lift is a great tool for your shop and bike maint. whether it is a HF or another brand. Also a tire changing machine is also good to have. Regardless of how basic or fancy it is.
Look at that, the lift matches the bike. Does this mean if you buy another bike it will have to be red or will you need to buy another color lift?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Look at that, the lift matches the bike. Does this mean if you buy another bike it will have to be red or will you need to buy another color lift?
Even his truck is red. I think Chuck is stuck on red! ;)

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Nice setup. What brand is the lift? Looks like a HF. Do you find it to be stable in use?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Nice setup. What brand is the lift? Looks like a HF. Do you find it to be stable in use?
Yes with a few mods, such as extra tie down points and out rigger boxes. Harbor Freight. Have owned one for over 12 years now. Always use the safety bar, and strap down your bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Yes with a few mods, such as extra tie down points and out rigger boxes Harbor Freight. Have owned one for over 12 years now. Always use the safety bar, and strap down your bike.
OK, thanks.

I notice HF has two models.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-69904.html

The 69904 lifts a little higher and is a bit larger and heavier than the 68892, otherwise they seem to have the same spec. Do you recall which one you got?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
OK, thanks.

I notice HF has two models.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-69904.html

The 69904 lifts a little higher and is a bit larger and heavier than the 68892, otherwise they seem to have the same spec. Do you recall which one you got?
68892 this is what was in stock at my local store when I wanted one. So I got this one.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have had one of those center jacks for a long time, very handy!
I have never owned or used one of these center jacks. I do have a lift so I am thinking about getting one as they are on sale. I am curious about something first however. On the ST1300 I assume that you raise the bike with this by jacking directly on the oil pan as there are no frame rails- correct?
If so, does the weight distribution of the bike allow you to use this jack to raise the front wheel off of the ground (or lift) by simply jacking on the oil pan? The reason I ask is if the answer is no then I am not really interested in buying one.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have never owned or used one of these center jacks. I do have a lift so I am thinking about getting one as they are on sale. I am curious about something first however. On the ST1300 I assume that you raise the bike with this by jacking directly on the oil pan as there are no frame rails- correct?
If so, does the weight distribution of the bike allow you to use this jack to raise the front wheel off of the ground (or lift) by simply jacking on the oil pan? The reason I ask is if the answer is no then I am not really interested in buying one.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.
Yes and yes!

I jack it up using the oil pan. I have a small piece of rubber sheet (same stuff I put over the particleboard) that I use under the jack and another piece between the jack and oil pan.

Also, the bike is on the center stand and loosely tied down when doing this. Yes, the front wheel comes up off the ground.

Be sure to watch when jacking it up, making sure you only use the main part of the centerstand's feet.

Top Bottom