Tire choices....ugh

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Not sure what I'm missing, but I'm looking at prices that are very similar. Between Amazon, Revzilla, Bike Bandit, Comp Acc, I get prices within $20 between the Angel GT and the Pilot Road 4.

Who should I be checking that I missed?
I buy my tires from a family owned local dealer. The Angel GT's were probably $80.00 cheaper for the pair. I could have bought them online and had them mounted cheaper but they treat me well and will often fix my bikes without an appointment. The mechanic will let me watch and showed me how to adjust the valves and change the brake fluid on my r1100rt. I don't get to visit them as much after buying a Honda.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I buy my tires from a family owned local dealer. The Angel GT's were probably $80.00 cheaper for the pair. I could have bought them online and had them mounted cheaper but they treat me well and will often fix my bikes without an appointment. The mechanic will let me watch and showed me how to adjust the valves and change the brake fluid on my r1100rt. I don't get to visit them as much after buying a Honda.
Good service is worth its weight in gold. And often in slightly higher prices. Not a whole lot in life is really free. You pays your money, you make your choice. I do exactly what you have done.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
PR4GTs.
I put them on this year, replacing Conti's. After 2600 miles, I can say: What a difference! They are spectacular in heavy downpours. No tire noise on various cement pavements. As a kid from Akron, Ohio where Goodyear and Firestone and Goodrich ruled the world, I have been completely seduced by the Michelin side of The Force (put them on my Caddy, too...same great result).

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bob, buddy, get black tires. The round ones are best. Then let's go find breakfast somewhere. Good?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Bob, buddy, get black tires. The round ones are best. Then let's go find breakfast somewhere. Good?
Good one Bones... just get black, round tires and slippery oil.

No need for more tire/oil threads! ;)

OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13

Settled on the Angel Gt's.......ordered yesterday, wheels off last night, getting mounted today, on tonight. Once I got the old tires off, it was readily apparent just how bad they are, flat spots, past the wear bars, and scalloped. Can't wait to try the new black tires, lol.

One thing to mention.....all of the links that show rear wheel removal tell me to remove the necessary fasteners on the right muffler and just rotate it down and out of the way. Did that, but not enough clearance to remove the axle without hitting it. Simple enough, just pull it off for the extraction. Actually, pulled the left AND right mufflers off so they were / are out of the way.

Bones....fantastic ride to the breakfast destination last Sunday. Could've done without the rock / pebble ridden dirt road though, LOL......I was just WAITING to hear the rear tire blow out.....tensions were high!!! All I could hear was ping-ping---------PING...I was actually making a conscious effort to avoid the POINTY ones, LOL.....how long was that road anyway...felt like about 10 miles. :eek:

My bike came with the PR4GT, they had been installed at 36k km and now i'm closing in on 50k km (14k km = 8.5k miles) They are almost to the wear bars. In a month the wife and I are doing a 3k trip so i'll need new tires before that. Seriously considering the Roadsmart 3, they are a lot cheaper!

Bike
07 ST1300
My bike came with the PR4GT, they had been installed at 36k km and now i'm closing in on 50k km (14k km = 8.5k miles) They are almost to the wear bars. In a month the wife and I are doing a 3k trip so i'll need new tires before that. Seriously considering the Roadsmart 3, they are a lot cheaper!
I had returned road smart 1 for recall. I got a roadsmart 2 front and it handled horribly, falling in to turns badly. Now on PR4's. Wonderful ride!
I think I have sworn off roadsmarts. If they were free I wouldn't use them.

I had returned road smart 1 for recall. I got a roadsmart 2 front and it handled horribly, falling in to turns badly. Now on PR4's. Wonderful ride!
I think I have sworn off roadsmarts. If they were free I wouldn't use them.
Thanks for the heads up, I did read good things about the 3's but the bridgestones might be the way to go!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Settled on the Angel Gt's.......ordered yesterday, wheels off last night, getting mounted today, on tonight. Once I got the old tires off, it was readily apparent just how bad they are, flat spots, past the wear bars, and scalloped. Can't wait to try the new black tires, lol.

One thing to mention.....all of the links that show rear wheel removal tell me to remove the necessary fasteners on the right muffler and just rotate it down and out of the way. Did that, but not enough clearance to remove the axle without hitting it. Simple enough, just pull it off for the extraction. Actually, pulled the left AND right mufflers off so they were / are out of the way.

Bones....fantastic ride to the breakfast destination last Sunday. Could've done without the rock / pebble ridden dirt road though, LOL......I was just WAITING to hear the rear tire blow out.....tensions were high!!! All I could hear was ping-ping---------PING...I was actually making a conscious effort to avoid the POINTY ones, LOL.....how long was that road anyway...felt like about 10 miles. :eek:
If I may offer some suggestions? (you can change the rear tire several different ways without scratching your muffler.
1. Remove the muffler like you did (but this may cause issues with re-inserting them back in the muffler gasket).
2. Place the center stand on a cutting board or strong piece of wood, this will allow the pipes to pivot a little lower.
3. Place a small bottle jack under the flat section of the shaft drive and gently lift it up enough for the axle to clear the muffler.
4. Remove the axle, but leave the washer against the housing (its the washer that hits the muffler).
5. Use a lift with a center drop for the rear wheel.
6. Remove your tire at the end of your driveway (wheel hanging over the curb).

OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
If I may offer some suggestions? (you can change the rear tire several different ways without scratching your muffler.
1. Remove the muffler like you did (but this may cause issues with re-inserting them back in the muffler gasket).
2. Place the center stand on a cutting board or strong piece of wood, this will allow the pipes to pivot a little lower.
3. Place a small bottle jack under the flat section of the shaft drive and gently lift it up enough for the axle to clear the muffler.
4. Remove the axle, but leave the washer against the housing (its the washer that hits the muffler).
5. Use a lift with a center drop for the rear wheel.
6. Remove your tire at the end of your driveway (wheel hanging over the curb).

Thanks for the tips Igofar. Had I known before I started I would have made the requisite changes. Now that I'm aware, next time will be a bit different. It's funny though that the links I looked at there was no mention....just remove bracket bolts and pivot it down and out of the way. I'm performing this surgery on my level garage floor as well.
It was the axle that hit, I had the washer against the housing....but......I had a little terry cloth "cushion" on my cement floor to prevent damage to the muffler. That little bit may be enough to cause my interference. Next time I'll just put a piece of plywood under the centerstand. Now......having been round that tree [with lots of other bikes] with the exhaust gasket.......when I was removing the mufflers it was with clenched teeth KNOWING that re-installation is a bit tricky. Sometimes it just goes in and fits...other times not so lucky. I found that a simple, smooth plastic "funnel" slowly worked by hand bevels the leading edge of that asbestos gasket enough that it makes it easier......we'll see. Thanks again. This forum is great.

Last edited:
I always buy from Pete's, but fortnine.ca has free shipping. See if Pete can match fortnine.ca
I was checking out the prices at Pete's last night and noticed they also have free shipping now on orders over $49.99! I'm going to order them early next week. Just want to do some more research this weekend.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I've been using Michelins for my last 5 tire changes with PR4 GTs the last two changes, but I decided to go with the Battleax T30 GT EVOs from fortnine.ca this time. The pair was about $120 cheaper than a pair of PR4 GTs and about $100 cheaper than the Pirelli Angel GTs. I was getting really bothered by the howling from the front Michelin due to the scalloping that had developed and decided it was time for a change. So far I find the Bridgestones turn in quicker, which is taking a bit of getting used to, but other than that I really like them, both in the rain and dry. I'm just sorry I missed the Bridgestone discount by about two weeks. :)

OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
Installed the new tires and it is a new bike. Really. Not unlike ANY tire would make it feel, but a short 120 +/- ride to scrub them in this weekend and have breakfast with Bones and Andy was great. The bike tends to be a bit "wobbly" on the highway but that's another thread in itself. Will play with suspension settings and tire pressures soon. Turns in nice, quiet, etc.

Attachments

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
While I enjoyed my Conti road attacks, I Love my Pirelli Angel GT's! I think I'm on my 4th or 5th set, and I get about 10K out of them. I do not try and squeeze any mileage out of them once they touch the wear indicators, and I replace them as soon as they touch them.
They are the best tire I've run on these bikes so far, and as stated above, they cost less than the PR4 too. They are quiet, smooth, grip in all kinds of weather, tar snakes don't bother them, nor grooved road surface, and best of all, they don't cup or wear funny like a dual compound tire.
Exactly! My exact experience!

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
My experience with the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3's - I put a set on my GSX1250FA before my recent cross-country trip. They handle great in all conditions, very quick into turns, good in the rain, and stable at high speeds.

Our trip was over 7600 miles, carrying full load including my 240 pound lardass, in lots of hot, cold and rainy riding conditions for almost a month. I have since put another thousand or so on them. So estimated mileage on them is about 8500. Both the front and rear look like they'll go another 4 or 5,000 easily, lots of meat left on them. I was out for a 300 mile mountain ride yesterday and they're still handling brilliantly.

I'm running them at the Suzuki recommended pressures of 38 front and 42 rear for my bike.

The previous tires I had on the bike were Michelin PR4's. They were toast at under 8,000 miles.

Having said that, the GSX1250FA is about 175 pounds lighter than the ST1300, so that may be a factor.

I haven't heard of any failures with the Roadsmart 3's like the original RS's suffered.

I will be replacing these Dunlops with another identical set when I do replace them. They cost about the same as the PR4's. I buy most of my tires at Motorcycle Superstore or Dennis Kirk, I find they usually have the best prices, and free shipping. MC Superstore usually beats DK by a few dollars.

Top Bottom