Tire choices....ugh

Bike
07 ST1300
thekaz, how does one obtain free PR3s??? I am jealous. Here in Newfoundland, I am paying $225 for the tire plus 15% tax and tire levy, then $40 to bring wheel to dealer to have tire installed. My birthday is this month, my darling wife is buying me a bead breaker, which I have ordered. Problem is, I can't find a balancer for less than $150 or so. My friend bought a balancer at harbor freight for less than $40 while he was vacationing in US!!! same one I am looking at for $140. Hurts to pay that much more. Harbor frieght won't ship to Canada.
You dont need to buy a bead breaker. Just need 2x4's an old door hinge and a moving dolly. Oh and a truck or car trailer hitch.
I use "ride on" tire sealant and balancer for the smoothest ride ever.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Many folks on my local forum are chiming in and suggesting my wheels are out of alignment. Front tire installed at same time as this rear remains perfect. Even wear and lots of threat left. Can rear tire be misaligned on a shaft driven bike? This is the third rear tire that has worn prematurely on left side? I searched youtube and all alignment videos are on belt or chain driven bikes. Something is out of wack on my baby. Perhaps it is time to have a real bike mechanic look at it. Apparently people do that... pay others to fix stuff!!! Would hurt to do that but if I can't figure this out I may just have to spend money and have a mechanic assess it. Bike is 2003, so I am sure lots of wear on bushings etc.
P.s. I have replaced the final drive oil several times but is there secondary drive oil at the front of the shaft drive that needs to be changed? I came across a youtube video abut that on a Suzuki. Have not searched this forum just yet.

Bike
'96 ST 1100
I think most appreciate tire threads that are RECENT ! After all, production changes, thus current information is 110% relevant. Most "hard" parts for the ST don't change, unlike tire production.

All said, continue to share what rubber you run, your preference, availability and vendors.

I'm on Metz Z6 from 2010, worn in the center on the rear. New to the bike (have 1000 mi in Ohio) experience. Used to it after years of years of 70's bikes. Just want predictability, similar ride. Put Shinko R230's on my 78 GS 550. Like the ride, yet this is a short trip bike nowadays. Please re-direct if I'm missing a "sticky" somewhere. New to the ST family. 1996 ST1100 non ABS. My close bud bought a NOS 2010 Shadow spirit 750 in '12, in the tire market too. Near Iron pony, motorcycle maxxx...going rate to mount, balance in central OH is about thirty per wheel off the bike, as of August 2017

thekaz

haz gone feral
Many folks on my local forum are chiming in and suggesting my wheels are out of alignment. Front tire installed at same time as this rear remains perfect. Even wear and lots of threat left. Can rear tire be misaligned on a shaft driven bike? This is the third rear tire that has worn prematurely on left side? I searched youtube and all alignment videos are on belt or chain driven bikes. Something is out of wack on my baby. Perhaps it is time to have a real bike mechanic look at it. Apparently people do that... pay others to fix stuff!!! Would hurt to do that but if I can't figure this out I may just have to spend money and have a mechanic assess it. Bike is 2003, so I am sure lots of wear on bushings etc.
P.s. I have replaced the final drive oil several times but is there secondary drive oil at the front of the shaft drive that needs to be changed? I came across a youtube video abut that on a Suzuki. Have not searched this forum just yet.
Sounds weird :confused:
maybe check the basics from the start. bearings, seals, spacer position, axles, wheel round out, rear axle base alignment ( even if its just with string & tape measure ), swing arm ( really not sure what needs to be checked on these STs ? ) neck bearings, front shocks ( the whole sha-bang because one never knows what an individually over sagged spring will do ? or a poor bushing on one side)
lots of things you can do but please post up the findings so we can get more smrt :)

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
mounted the 190 55 PR3 yesterday. I checked things for play. Everything seems solid. I probably have one more month or riding here in Newfoundland, before my ST is put away till April or May. My plan is to ride for a month, assess wear, and if there is uneven wear I will have someone help me further assess and replace bushings etc. I will post my findings later.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I have been buying my last several sets of tires from American Motorcycle Tires. Usually the best price and very fast delivery. I've been very pleased so far with them.
Keith:

Do you find after riding in Arkansas for a number of days that your tires wear more than the same miles in Oklahoma? I have had some real problems with wear on my ST, but all the miles on it are in NW Arkansas. I have some Bridgestone Battlax T30-GT and after 2500 miles the rear is showing a lot of wear. I do like to ride the bike slightly spirited, and with the chip and seal AR DOT likes to use, it sure seems to wear the tires (especially the rear) quickly. I'd like to hear your experiences.

Scott

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Why go as big as a 190?? I'm finishing up a set of Shinko 011 Verges. The first couple thousand miles they suck for handling. Started a trip ti Colorado and pulled over after a hundred miles to see if I had a flat tire. 4k out and back. They handled pretty good after that or I got use to them. Will finish up the rear with about 6k+ I think. If I stayed on the open road, I might could see 8k. Here where I live, I can burn up some tires. PR4's might last 5k or a tad more around here. Saw some Roadsmart II's for a really good price, but hesitate getting them by what some are saying about them. PR4's are out of my price range but they did handle great! Seems everybody here has different feels about tires as I guess I do to. I might try the Dunlops because of the price. $190 shipped. I hope they aren't like 5yo!

mounted the 190 55 PR3 yesterday. I checked things for play. Everything seems solid. I probably have one more month or riding here in Newfoundland, before my ST is put away till April or May. My plan is to ride for a month, assess wear, and if there is uneven wear I will have someone help me further assess and replace bushings etc. I will post my findings later.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I think riding style is a HUGE factor and really my ST1300 is only used for IronButt rides :rolleyes: I am currently running my fifth set of PR4GTs and its the same thing lots of cupping/scalloping by 5000KM then pretty done by 8000KM. I have a set of PR3s that are up next because they were aaaaaa free LOL then I am thinking I need to try the Angel GTs ??? I see that the AngelGT front 120/70R18 comes in an "A" type but does the AngelGt rear 170/60R17 come in an "A" or are you all running a different size ?
Also is anyone running the a set of Metzler Z8 "M-spec" or maybe a Z8 front / M888 rear combo ? how do they wear ?
I ride like an old lady. Always one up, mostly without a lot of gear (cargo). More secondary or back roads, but notable interstate time as well.

Just finished a set of Metzeler Z6s. No longer available. Trying to choose between Z8s, Pirelli Angel GTs, or Michelin PR4s. Had Michelins before the Metzelers. Got c. 11,000 miles on the Michelins vs. 9,000 on the Z6s. Or looked at another way, Z6s gave 80% as much life for about 66% as much money. Just never quite felt the love for the Z6s, but nothing specific to point to as "wrong".

Did you try the Pirellis? Thoughts if so?

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got Angel GT on my ST1100. I went with 170-60/17. I don't know that I would go with a 190 on the back with a 4.5 inch rim. About 170 is all that it is rated for. I absolutely love them. Not a bad word about anything. Handling, comfort.... we'll just need to see how long they last me.

At 190-55 you are probably crowning the tire with such a narrow rim. Of course... just my opinion. :hat1:

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
2003 ST1300. Here's my Michelin PR4 GT front & rear as of today. Front has 12,500 miles, rear 7,000. The bike is always ridden two-up at or near max weight in a "family manner" (wife's term). Equal mix of straights and turns. ALWAYS at 42 psi. The rear is flat-centered, and the left side sipes are nearly gone (USA riding). Lots of "scalloping" and uneven wear. I can't say I'm pleased with this choice of rear based on the result. The previous rear PR4 GT had similar wear.

IMG_4681.jpgIMG_4682.jpg

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
"Scalloping" is caused mainly by 2 things.... improper inflation and!!!! fork action. If your front forks are not set up or behaving as they should it can be a great contributer. When was the last time you changed your fork fluid? Or had them alighned?

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
^^^ Actually, the front I have no complaint with. It's a little squared off, but I would expect that at 12K miles. It's the rear that's shredding itself. Regarding the suspension, this bike has full Race Tech suspension front & rear. The front has 12K+ miles since servicing by PO. The rear has a recently rebuilt, re-valved and re-sprung shock. This bike is straight & solid.

Top Bottom