ABS problem

Qomar

Mr. Kamarol
Bike
Honda ST1300A
Hi ST Owners members, I need your help to advice me what to do. My ST 1300 year 04 now stack at workshop since rear brake lock when using ABS, but when we bypass it's ok. So what is the problem, one more thing I wnat to know is it possible to ignore the ABS and just use bypass but the ABS light will keep on all the way. tqvm

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
How do you by-pass the ABS ?

What do you mean by 'When using ABS' ? I have never used ABS. The bike does it all by itself, but only if the wheels lock when you are braking, and this has only ever happened when I have deliberately tried to make them lock, by braking hard when going over a wet manhole cover.

If the fuse(s) are removed so that the ABS will not operate, then in effect you have ordinary brakes and assuming that nothing else is wrong, they should be safe to ride.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like he is having some serious brake issues, possibly with the secondary master cylinder?

OP
OP
Qomar

Qomar

Mr. Kamarol
Bike
Honda ST1300A
Tq all friends for respon to my problem. So this mean if we don't want to ABS functioning, just pull out the fuse and a bike will be ordinary brake without ABS, am I right

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That's correct. Even with the system turned on, if the ABS indicator is on, the system is disabled.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
But, the ABS does not lock the brakes. It UNLOCKS the brakes but you have to apply them in the first place. As Larry said, it sounds like a secondary master cylinder problem. An 04 bike is 13 yrs old. What kind of maintenance has the brake system had over that period of time?

OP
OP
Qomar

Qomar

Mr. Kamarol
Bike
Honda ST1300A
Once again tqvm to all responder, I'll with pulling out ABS Rear fuse, if it still locking so this mean the problem is with secondary master sylinder.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'd like a little more clarification on exactly what's going on with your bike and what you mean by bypassing the ABS.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Qomar is having the brakes "lock up" when the ABS fuse is installed to me means there is a problem with the system.
Pulling the fuse disables the ABS system thereby allowing the brakes to lock up.

Either way the brakes will lock.
GET THE ABS SYSTEM REPAIRED!!!! by someone who knows what they're doing. Definitely start with the secondary master cylinder.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Forgive me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the OP brakes are locked, or locking up, which would be a common issue for a failing or failed secondary master cylinder. It sounds like he thinks that by removing a fuse, it will prevent the rear brake lock up.
This does not sound like an electrical issue or anything to do with the ABS system, but rather a damaged or failed part in the brake system. I would strongly recommend that the bike be examined by a shop, or someone who is knowledgeable with the ST brake system.

OP
OP
Qomar

Qomar

Mr. Kamarol
Bike
Honda ST1300A
Sorry to all responders since I keep silent for a few days, actually we already found the source of problem. It was piston jamed in secondary master cylinder, now I'must waiting for the repair kid that was order from Singapore, once again tqvm

OP
OP
Qomar

Qomar

Mr. Kamarol
Bike
Honda ST1300A
Tqvm for respond to my problem, at least we already found the source of the problem, it was pistons jamed in the secondary master cylinder. Once again tqvm

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you are able to use the rebuild kit (sometimes the bore of the SMC is damaged) be sure to carefully clean the inside of the bore, and don't use anything abrasive to do so.
Also, make sure that when you insert the C-clip (with the proper bent nose c-clip pliers) that you have the sharp edge facing upward so it gets a good purchase on the groove to retain it, if you don't do this, the clip can come dislodged and grenade on you causing a very dangerous situation while riding!
You'll also need to order (4) crush washers for the lines if you remove them.

Top Bottom