ST1100 suspension makeover Springs and shock

Bike
'05 ST1300
I would like to hear from ST11 owners who have refitted their forks with aftermarket springs and changed the rear shock for a Progressive or other shock.

Someone who's done the swap and put the miles on.

I have to say I am happy with the stock suspension overall, even with 115 km's or 60,000 + miles on the bike. I would define my riding as 'sporty'.

The plan is to keep the bike and I'd like to freshen things up.

Thanks!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Works Pro Racer on the rear of all three of my ST1100s, Works springs in the front with 1 3/8" preload and 10 weight fork oil. Well over 50,000+ miles on each bike wth this setup. It makes for a stiffer suspension but I'm a big guy and usually carry lots of stuff. Excellent performance for the price. RaceTech is better but a lot pricier. The Works Pro Racer shock can be rebuilt for a reasonable fee.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
STOC #
Like Uncle Phil, I went with a Works shock in the rear. I sent in my weight, type of riding, etc, and they built it. I installed it... and that was it.

The front has been a little different. I originally replaced the stock with progressive springs and it was better but still feeling a little mushy. I'm probably larger than Uncle Phil and on the advice of others I pre-loaded the progressive springs by using a longer spacer and that helped.

I'm now under the opinion that I would like a non-progressive spring and just get it set up for my weight. I ride with pillions at times, but less aggressively. So, I'll probably set it up for a firmer ride with me and a soft ride with pillion. I think the progressive springs end up fine once they are under a load, but too mushy feeling (for me).

Again, similar to Uncle Phil, 10w fork oil... Belray if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom