Keys, where to get made

Bike
09 ST1300A
Where is the best place to get a new key (or two) made for my ST ?
I have the "key code". Can I order from one of the Honda dealers on line ?

I think my keys are worn a bit too much, because I have to giggle them a little to open my saddlebags.
One key works better than the other, doesn't look very worn.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #

I think my keys are worn a bit too much, because I have to giggle them a little to open my saddlebags.
I had a "wallet" key successfully made from a key code here. It was for an 1100, so can't direct you to the proper blank number. The web site should.

www.keys4urride.com

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
I ordered 2 keys from Keys4urride.com (they take Paypal too.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Blrfl said:
FWIW, I did a short write-up on how to determine your key code if you don't know it

That's the one to use as a 'master' if you can't get copies made from the number. A worn original won't make a better copy. Nobody around me can cut a key from the number.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Excellent point - If the keys I just ordered by code don't work out I'll have a couple made from my least worn key.
Thanks

That's the one to use as a 'master' if you can't get copies made from the number. A worn original won't make a better copy. Nobody around me can cut a key from the number.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In theory, a Honda dealer should be able to cut the key using the code. However, they would have to have purchased a relatively expensive key cutter that takes a bite out of the blank - the code tells the operator what depth of cut to take for each pin position. Several guys have posted here that their dealership cannot cut keys unless you have the original - i.e. they use a key machine that traces your key and grinds a duplicate.

If your keys are worn, duping them will simply give you another 'worn' key. You might try a locksmith. He should be able to look up the code in one of his books (or online at a locksmith only website) and then cut it using his micrometer adjustable key machine. If he has the machines on a counter visible for you to watch him work, the better machines start around $500 or more for a simple hardware store types and go up to several thousand for the micrometer cutting machines. Ask for the price per key first - some Locksmith's prices may take your breath away.

Some years ago I priced a Schlage nibbler type at around $65 - these go for several hundred now. You have to cut a lot of keys to amortize that kind of machine - and the Schlage key cutter will only make Schlage keys....

quinn

Sebastian
Bike
ST1300

Based on my experience I'd suggest taking your best key and 2-3 blanks to a proper locksmith. I tried a hardware store first with no luck -- copy wouldn't work. The locksmith took his time and really babied that machine. Both copies worked much better than the worn original which now lives in a drawer in case I ever need more copies made.

--Sebastian

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the worn original which now lives in a drawer in case I ever need more copies made.
If the copies work better than the original I'd get another copy and leave it in the drawer as a 'master template' instead of an inferior original.

Also locksmiths vary in quality. My experience was that a locksmith shop under new management batted .500 with two keys. My local ACE Hardware was at 1.000 with two keys. I agree a locksmith should be able to better than most hardware key cutters. Mine was not. He used the exact same machine as at my ACE place.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
My wife once had a car key duped at our local K-mart. Tried it in the truck - works, doors - OK, ignition - starts. We drove home, shut off the ignition, but the key wouldn't turn far enough to remove it.

Ended up calling out a locksmith to get it out.

I don't trust the hardware stores anymore, where the machine operators may or may not receive proper training.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought my ST1100, it only came with one original (worn) key. I bought some blanks on E-Bay and had some new keys cut from the key code at a local STealer (Honda of Modesto, CA). I called first to make sure they could cut from a key code - most larger STealers can.

Now I use the new keys as my main keys, and have the original key put away for safekeeping. I also had keys cut on the flat blanks, and have one taped to the inside of one of my boots - just in case of being on the road and loosing the key...

My bike only came with 2 generic Ilco copies.

I ordered these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Blade-Blank-Key-For-Honda-CBR-600-F4-F4i-929-954-1000-1100XX-CB-BLK-US/292029377765?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 from eBay and cut them myself. I have a machine at work.

The blanks are even nicer than pictured, they have the little Honda emblem with the wing in the center. However, if you pull very hard on the metal part of the key, it will come loose from the plastic portion. I roughed up the metal a little with sandpaper, and super glued them to the plastic housing, now they are perfect.

5 keys for $8.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
My local locksmith whom is now 80, blatantly told me that he wouldn't harm his equipment attempting to cut a Honda OEM blanks that I paid $45 for (3) blanks. He made me one terrific key (from his stock, not Honda blank junk that would ruin his nice equipment). This occurred April 2017 in California.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have used a local locksmith company for years. I recently had three spares made for my ST1100 from blanks I got from Ebay. The locksmith cut and de-burred all three for $7.50. They work flawlessly with no wiggles or snags. I had the usual hit and miss experience from hardware/box stores before.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My local locksmith whom is now 80, blatantly told me that he wouldn't harm his equipment attempting to cut a Honda OEM blank...
I wonder what kind of harm he thinks is going to come to his cutter. The comment I always make about the keys being a 38% Swiss cheese blend is just a joke. :D

--Mark

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Last key I had made was at Wal-Mart. The original key is my copy key and isn't used in the bike, but just to make copies. I always have 2 keys which I use. When one gets worn, I have another made.

Top Bottom