Left handgrip won't adhere to bars!

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've tried several applications of Honda's handgrip cement to my Oxford heated grips (with cleaning bars beforehand) and it just won't stick. I've tried hairspray, too. Not even close. I was using brake cleaner to try to dissolve whatever residue was left over. I also used fine emery cloth. I also tried to remove residue from inside the grip although I don't know how successful that was. My next course of action is to try Gorilla glue, safety wire, and/or both.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I think you have covered it as I would have, but a question is how tight or loose is the grip on the bar? If the gap is too great the glue wont do a thing to adhere. Either that or a bad batch of glue? If they fit tight, and you have roughed the surface of the throttle cable twist, I would try another glue. Failing glue and if a loose fit, I had used silicone and wired grips on my offroad bike.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Did you accidentally swap the left and right grips? Throttle side generally has a larger OD which would make for a loose fit on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did you accidentally swap the left and right grips? Throttle side generally has a larger OD which would make for a loose fit on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nope. Throttle side went on beautifully. Left grip is loose but you can tell it's the right diameter.

Bike
03 St1300A
Well okay, I had the same issue with my Oxford heater grips. I made several attempts and the grips just wouldn't stay glued. So I used a red ScotchBrite scrub pad soaked with some "Goof Off" adhesive remover to clean the bar. I then wiped off the bar with 91% isopropyl alcohol to make sure there was nothing left on the bar to interfere with the adhesive. The glue that comes with the Oxford Heaters is just super glue and I determined I just wasn't using enough. I live in a 3M family so we had some 3M super glue and I applied it liberally to the bar end and making sure I had marked the position on the grip and bar where the grip needed to be positioned. The grips have been solidly in place for two years now.

Gary

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thought I would ask just in case- are you sure you ordered / received the correct diameter grips for an ST1100?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Generally there are two basic categories— 1" bars and 7/8' bars or H-D type and 'metric' type bars.

A 1" grip is going to float on a 7/8" bar so the difference should be dramatic not just obvious.

I'm going to opine the Oxford fitment is just a bit off. Scrupulous cleaning of the bar and grip and good glue should to the job. I'd avoid cyanoacrylate glues as they can 'sheer' from smooth surfaces like handlebars. I think something like 3M weatherstrip adhesive would be a better fit.

The other thing is to increase the diameter of the bar. You could put a couple layers of heatshrink on the grip. Or some bicycle handlebar tape/wrap. Hairspray worked great for me. (Or the grips actually).

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I slid some shrink tube over and shrunk it, then blow the grip on and all is well with no glue.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've tried hairspray, too. Not even close. I
I have the same problem (left grip is loose). Well, its tight but when it gets warm (ambient temp over 80) it turns. Did you mount yours with the wire exiting on the top? In other words, the molded wire exits the grip radially, then bends 90 deg - if you were to twist the Oxford grip so the radial wire exits the grip at 12 o'clock, does the wire then bend forward? Please let us know what works for you. I think this might be a common problem.

I did not know this. But my throttle side went on with some difficulty - plenty of hairspray and a few whispered words of persuasion did it.

I slid some shrink tube over and shrunk it, then blow the grip on and all is well with no glue.
Dan, do you mean that you stuck one of those needle type blow nozzles under the grip to expand it in order to slide it on? I know others have recommended said needle air gun to expand the grip to remove it. How did you seal the inboard end in order to expand the grip?

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I had used hairspray initially with my Oxford grips, and it worked for a couple years, then failed and repeated uses lasted even shorter times. I finally used Goop and it's held well so far.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was on a trip 300 miles from home when it broke free of the glue from the first application. I went to Walmart to get hairspray and a thin gauge of electrical tape as a quick fix. One wrap of the tape and the grip wouldn't fit on over the tape. I then pulled the tape off and then just put one strip of tape on the top of the handlebars. That didn't fit either. I KNOW the grip is the right size for the bar and on the correct side. With that being said....

Is shrink tube thin enough? Secondly, I didn't know you can use the air compressor with these type of grips. It seems to me that the grip has a hard plastic inner sleeve, with no real give to expand when "blown".

I think I'm going to try gorilla glue and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll spring some cash for safety wire pliers and give that a shot.

Thanks, everyone!

Bike
2010 ST1300
If it doesn't, I'll spring some cash for safety wire pliers and give that a shot.
The safety wire pliers that I have lock closed, and you pull on a knob centered between the handles. This spins the pliers. How will you use these on the grips? Seems to me if you pull safety wire tight around the grip, it will put pressure on the wires inside and perhaps break them.

The suggestion to scrupulously clean the handlebar and the inside of the Oxford grip and try an alternative glue sounds best to me. How about (don't laugh, please) construction adhesive? The stuff is tough, sticks to anything, and stays somewhat flexible for a long time. Just a little dab here and there...slide the grip on, and you are done - except for cleanup.

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
There is some special glue for heated grips. I had this problem a while back and the bike shop got hold of some special stuff for me. Fixed it really well.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
How about (don't laugh, please) construction adhesive?
That is quite brilliant actually. a product like PL 400 or premium will bond very permanent. Also as I did before, silicone works. Your correct also about how safety wiring may not be good on the grip.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Handgrip is not wet enough. Now if he rode the bike underwater......
Lol! I just used Gorilla glue for the install yesterday and on the ride today it didn't budge. So far so good. Let's see how it does with temp changes and when I turn the grips on for heat throughout the rest of the year....

Thanks for you help, everyone!

Top Bottom